RFP #8 - Hot Glass, Burgers & Pie - Sat., June 18

Started by gharshman, June 13, 2016, 06:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

RFP = "Ride for Pie"

Why?  Because pie fixes everything!

This will be an all-street, family-friendly, obey-the-speed-limit ride.  My wife will be with me, and she doesn't tolerate any hooligan stuff!  No interstate, but there may be some 4-lane.  We will visit a hot glass art studio, ride through Little River Canyon, then eat lunch in Fort Payne.

Rough timeline:

8:30AM -- Meet at Berkeley Bob's Coffee Shop in Cullman
9:30AM -- Kickstands up!
11:00AM -- Arrive at Orbix Hot Glass in Fort Payne
12:30PM -- Depart Orbix, ride through LRC
1:30PM -- Arrive at The Strand in Fort Payne

Berkeley Bobs has some good coffee cake and danishes, as well as good coffee and tea.  They also have breakfast sandwiches and sometimes quiche.  Recommend arriving around 8:30 if you want to relax and enjoy breakfast and/or coffee.

Orbix appears to be a very nice, artsy glass studio nestled closely to the southern end of LRC.  Check out their website here: http://orbixhotglass.com/.  I could not find any information on an entrance/tour fee, so I assume that it is free.

Never eaten at The Strand, but it is listed as a Top 10 for Fort Payne.  It appears that they are known for their burgers, catfish sandwiches, ribs, hot dogs, onion rings, etc.  I also saw chicken salad, steak, ice cream, and sweet potato pie on their FB page.  I get the impression that the menu changes daily, so whatever they are serving on Saturday will likely be a surprise for all of us.  Prices seem reasonable.

Tentative Route (subject to change): https://goo.gl/maps/pFqprDqQDUs

It's gonna be a blast, so come join us!

P.S. - Everybody knows ... I buy the pie!

P.P.S. - Free stickers too!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chuck A.

Hope to make this ride. Always had something come up and never made a pie ride yet.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

klaviator

I'll be there.  Not sure if I'll meet you at Berkeley Bob's or en route.  After Orbix, which is free, I recommend 275 through LRC.  It runs right along the canyon and is just as scenic as 176 although the road surface is a little rough.

bergman32

Going to try and make it, but will probably meet you in Boaz at Hwy 431.

norton73

You might want to call Cal at Orbitz to make sure he's gonna be there. It's a one man operation and you never know if he's gonna run into town or something.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

Quote from: norton73 on June 14, 2016, 06:56:13 AM
You might want to call Cal at Orbitz to make sure he's gonna be there. It's a one man operation and you never know if he's gonna run into town or something.

Yeah, website says 10am-2pm on Saturdays, but the events page is showing a paperweight class from 9am-1pm.  I assumed somebody would be there, but I'll take your suggestion.

Shepcam

I ate there a few months ago and it was a pretty dang good burger! Planning to make this one!
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Moto Guzzi

Time for some pie, I reckon!  I plan to be there.

vtxrider

Quote from: bergman32 on June 13, 2016, 09:55:49 PM
Going to try and make it, but will probably meet you in Boaz at Hwy 431.
my friend Chelin is going to meet me in Boaz as well maybe you can shoot him a pm and let him know where your going to be.

Nice Goat

There is a McDonalds on the southern corner of 168 and 431 ... we will pull in there briefly to collect stragglers.  We should be there at 10:15am.

But I will say.... Berkeley Bob's is pretty cool ... it's worth the ride over to Cullman for breakfast!

klaviator

Since I'll be working late Fri Night/Sat morning I'll probably meet you at Orbix or maybe in Collinsville.   

I highly recommend taking 22 out of Collinsville.  It has a few hairpins as it snakes its way up the mountain.  Much more interesting than just droning up 68.

kdtrull

I'm in but with a slight level of uncertainty.  I'm on call this weekend so, if I happen to get a call at the right time, I'll be a no-show or may have to drop out mid-flight.

Nice Goat

Quote from: klaviator on June 16, 2016, 09:45:23 PM
I highly recommend taking 22 out of Collinsville.  It has a few hairpins as it snakes its way up the mountain.  Much more interesting than just droning up 68.

Let's see who shows up ... don't want to risk it with any unknown riders.

kryten

I think my last ride with the BR crew was a ride for pie some time last year. I'm in!

mojo1

GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan