News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Riding with a Gun.

Started by LawnmowerRG, June 20, 2016, 10:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawnmowerRG

Here is an article by Motorcycle.com about the subject and how to do it properly.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/riding-with-a-gun.html

The teaser video.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

griff

I'm suddenly feeling like Alabama is a bit more free than certain other places.....

Around here it's to easy not to get a carry permit. Then you don't have to worry about it.

I'll admit when I clicked on this topic I figured it was going to be good techniques for concealing while riding and keeping dirt out of your gun, etc.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

LawnmowerRG

Griff my friend we could go there.

I was thinking of this in the terms of our people that travel on a bike and how to keep out of jail in those unfriendly areas.

Guidedawg

Concealed carry does sound a lot easier, but is it reciprocal for all states?  I don't carry so I've never checked into it.

What I need to learn is proper techniques for firing a handgun from a moving motorcycle ala SOA.  After all, I ride with both a Masonic and a Baptist church group and you never know when a rival from the Knights of Columbus or some angry Methodist biker is going to start a fight.  How on earth can I fire with my acceleration hand like all the tough bikers on TV?  ;D

Actually,  I wasn't aware that a gun had to be carried in a separate locked compartment without driver access.  I've certainly carried my shotgun in the car and wouldn't have hesitated to place a handgun in my saddlebag for transport thinking I was legally clear as long as it wasn't in my vest.

klaviator

Quote from: Guidedawg on June 21, 2016, 08:23:35 AM
Concealed carry does sound a lot easier, but is it reciprocal for all states?  I don't carry so I've never checked into it.

What I need to learn is proper techniques for firing a handgun from a moving motorcycle ala SOA.  After all, I ride with both a Masonic and a Baptist church group and you never know when a rival from the Knights of Columbus or some angry Methodist biker is going to start a fight.  How on earth can I fire with my acceleration hand like all the tough bikers on TV?  ;D

Actually,  I wasn't aware that a gun had to be carried in a separate locked compartment without driver access.  I've certainly carried my shotgun in the car and wouldn't have hesitated to place a handgun in my saddlebag for transport thinking I was legally clear as long as it wasn't in my vest.

Alabama concealed carry permits are reciprocal in all immediately surrounding states and over half the states in the country.  The closest state that doesn't honor it is South Carolina.  There are only a few states that are real assholes about guns.  New York, CA and Ma come to mind but there's a few more, none around here.

I agree with Griff, it's so easy to get a concealed permit in AL there's no reason not to.  With the permit you don't have to worry much about transporting a hand gun.  Just keep in mind there are some places you still can't take that gun even in a locked container such as on military bases.

One more reason to ride a scooter ;D

Brian A

The difference is lawfuly concealed carry -vs- transporting a firearm. They are distinctly different and can have significant legal ramifications if both are not understood and the corresponding laws observed.

Two very good resources whether you are in an auto or on a motorcycle.

Also, I keep copies of Alabama reciprocity map and Duty to inform map in my wallet next to my CCP.

I think I will also print out the federal law shown in the video regarding lawful transport (as opposed to lawful concealed carry)

http://www.ago.state.al.us/Page-Gun-Reprocity-Law

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/do-you-have-a-duty-to-inform-when-carrying-concealed-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

And a real good tool to build a map and print it out for carrying in your wallet/purse.

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/do-you-have-a-duty-to-inform-when-carrying-concealed-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

Nice Goat

print this in color, trim and laminate, and put in wallet....

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Quote from: Brian A on June 21, 2016, 09:20:14 AM

The difference is lawfuly concealed carry -vs- transporting a firearm. They are distinctly different and can have significant legal ramifications if both are not understood and the corresponding laws observed.

Two very good resources whether you are in an auto or on a motorcycle.

Also, I keep copies of Alabama reciprocity map and Duty to inform map in my wallet next to my CCP.

I think I will also print out the federal law shown in the video regarding lawful transport (as opposed to lawful concealed carry)

http://www.ago.state.al.us/Page-Gun-Reprocity-Law

And a real good tool to build a map and print it out for carrying in your wallet/purse.

The reprocity list is out of date.  Add Ohio to the list.  Also, several states don't require a permit so they don't need reprocity, such as Vermont.

IceCold4x4

I carried an ar and a shotgun slung across my back with a pistol on my hip to go to a 3 gun match once. Hoover PD pulled me over and asked where i was headed once i told them they let me go without further complications. Still working on a quick access mount for my pistol grip 12 guage (for no other reason than because....)

Slede

open carry is legal without permit, if you get inside a vehicle it is considered concealed so now you need a permit. btw, sitting on a motorcycle is considered inside a vehicle so it is technically concealed at that point and you need a permit. I found this out at a "random" driver license check. looked it up and it was right. I have a permit so it wound up not being a big deal other than a patrolman going all martin riggs on me for a few minutes lol.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

LawnmowerRG

Personally I open or conceal carry most of the time.

Brian that is a good idea. I have not thought of carrying those with me.
I know LEOs have an enormous amount of rules and regs to remember. Plus things changing on them.

WECSOG

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on June 21, 2016, 09:31:39 PM
Personally I open or conceal carry most of the time.

Same here. In fact I often open carry while riding.

I've gotta disagree with something from the article, though: if I'm transporting an unloaded gun in a backpack, saddlebag or whatever, I have absolutely no intention of declaring it if I happen to be stopped. First of all, it's not his concern. I mean that literally; the federal peaceable journey law supersedes local and state laws if I am doing it properly. Second, it's none of his business (which sounds similar but is not quite the same): if I happen to be doing it wrong (due to a mistake or misreading of the law) or his jurisdiction or the individual cop doesn't agree with that law or whatever, I have the right as guaranteed by the 4th and 5th Amendments to go my way without volunteering to be detained and searched.
Third, also related: some jurisdictions do indeed consider that law null and void as a practical matter, and some of those jurisdictions consider it a felony offense.

I carried this way when I had to cross about 30 miles of Maryland last year. I stopped in WV and took a leak, ate a bite, filled the tank and secured my pistol before entering MD; then drove straight across without stopping. Did the same in PA before entering MD on the return trip.

The article invokes the "must inform" law that some states have (NC being the closest to us; also SC but they don't honor our CCW anyway); but those laws apply to CCW, not unloaded transport per the federal law.

Military bases are a different matter, as Klaviator pointed out. Tribal reservations may be too, if you leave the highway. I may or may not have traveled some backroads in the Navajo nation while carrying, but in retrospect that might be taking a chance.

markbxr400

I had a Texas CHL which requires you to show to an officer if pulled over, and to inform whether carrying.  After moving to AL and getting my pistol carry permit, was pulled over.  Surrendered my license and pistol carry permit, and told him I currently did not have a weapon with me.  Officer asked me why I gave it to him - not required.  I told him I owed it to him to let him know whether I was carrying or not.  He told me he appreciated that, and let me go with a warning.

I strap ad over and under on my motorcycle several times a week to go shoot skeet.  It's in a case, and the case inside of a black duffel. 

Hammerdown77

Quote from: markbxr400 on October 11, 2017, 09:52:52 PM
I had a Texas CHL which requires you to show to an officer if pulled over, and to inform whether carrying.  After moving to AL and getting my pistol carry permit, was pulled over.  Surrendered my license and pistol carry permit, and told him I currently did not have a weapon with me.  Officer asked me why I gave it to him - not required.  I told him I owed it to him to let him know whether I was carrying or not.  He told me he appreciated that, and let me go with a warning.

Had similar with Huntsville PD. Got pulled over by two cops running plates on University (I'd bought a new-to-me car a few days prior, and the plate was still showing in their database as registered with the previous vehicle). One of the officers approached my vehicle, hand resting on his sidearm, and asked me for license and registration. I handed him my license and my carry permit. He handed the permit back and said "I don't need this". My registration was in the glove box, with a loaded Beretta 92, so I told him, "I need to get the registration out of the glove box, and there is a loaded firearm in the glove box. He replied, "That's fine, just don't suddenly reach for it, or I might shoot you." I told him, "Fair enough!"

In those types of situations I usually let the circumstances dictate whether or not I feel I need to inform the officer about a firearm on or near my person. And most of that has to do with whether or not I think NOT informing them might result in me getting shot.

For example, during this same traffic stop, I did not see the need to inform him of the rest of the gun show that was in the trunk (I was literally on my way home from the range).
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

dredman

I was stopped in Blount Co. a few years back on a backroad, at an SS checkpoint where they were clearly rousting Mexicans.  I was asked if I had drugs or weapons in the vehicle, I answered "yes, and I have a permit".  Two of the 3 deputies immediately put hands on handles and told me to step out.  They retrieved my weapon, ejected every round looking for a dirty one.  I was waiting for the cavity search/interrogation next, but for some reason they let me go - no apology, and no explanation. 

I had a similar experience a couple years later, announced I had a CCW and a weapon, the same intense panic happened, as if I threatened to shoot him with it?

I no longer announce permit or weapon.  Any questions about what is in my vehicle gets " I don't answer questions like that."

I would rather not be shot for simply exercising my legal right as an American.

I guess it only takes 3 poorly trained(or dumb) cops to change things?