News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2016 Arctic Bound Bama Bums.............

Started by Al Goodwin, June 26, 2016, 07:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

Allen's SPOT

Karla's SPOT

~~~~~~~~~~

Not actually a ride "report" yet, but it will be soon starting.

I'll be updating equipment packed, route planned, etc.....  Right now I think we're at 6 bikes heading up, leaving on July 9th....28 days on the road is what we've got planned for this TRIP OF A LIFETIME.

My wife, Melony, will be riding with me, 2-up, on the Super Tenere.  The bike has 21,000 miles on it, and I've just completed a suspension overhaul.  Installed a Cogent Dynamics rear shock, stiffer Eibach springs and heavier oil in the forks.  It has the general engine guards, skid-plate, etc....but we're in the process of another major modification, the fabrication and installation of a trailer hitch in order to pull a small cargo trailer.  This is a LAST MINUTE decision, to say the least...  We've packed everything on the bike that we'd be carrying for the trip, but after re-evaluation, and a discussion with a fellow adventure rider on trailer towing, we made this decision. 

Decisions, decisions....TRAILERS....WOW those things are $$$$$$$$.............but quess what? Harbor Freight has one with good reviews...purchase made, assembly starts tonight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-auto-200-lb-motorcycle-capacity-78-in-tag-along-trailer-62644.html

I'll be ordering larger wheels for it, only comes with 8in. wheels.....I think 12in would make it to tall, so 10in wheels will be ordered today, unless someone has a better suggestion. :-\

Anyway...updates on progress, and full ride-reports coming soon.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Al Goodwin on June 26, 2016, 07:45:21 AMAnyway...updates on progress, and full ride-reports coming soon.

Looking forward to this.... very jealous too!

Quote from: Al Goodwin on June 26, 2016, 07:45:21 AMHarbor Freight has one with good reviews...purchase made, assembly starts tonight.

I've been wondering about these trailers.  I may ride over and watch, if that's okay.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Yankee Dog

01YZF6

With the trailer, go with the bike to harbor freight, ask to pull one out before you decide on tire height.
Remember that you will have 2-3" of rear sag with gear and passenger.
Also buy 2 spare tires. Not necessarily the rims, just the tires as you can strap them to the top of the carrier if needed.

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Yankee Dog on June 26, 2016, 12:42:56 PM
What are you using for a hitch.

Melony has a friend that's a master-welder/fabricator.  He came out and looked it over well, took some measurements and he said he could do it.....He'll just bring all his welding/cutting stuff to the house, said that way he'd have the bike there.

He supposed to do it tomorrow, Tuesday.

Al Goodwin

Quote from: 01YZF6 on June 26, 2016, 04:26:13 PM
With the trailer, go with the bike to harbor freight, ask to pull one out before you decide on tire height.
Also buy 2 spare tires. Not necessarily the rims, just the tires as you can strap them to the top of the carrier if needed.

I thought about just carrying the 8in wheels and tires as spares, the ones I'll be replacing....thoughts?

klaviator

Quote from: Al Goodwin on June 27, 2016, 02:05:13 PM
Quote from: 01YZF6 on June 26, 2016, 04:26:13 PM

I thought about just carrying the 8in wheels and tires as spares, the ones I'll be replacing....thoughts?

If you put on larger wheels and carry the 8" wheels for spares you will have to replace both if one goes flat.  I'd get the same size spares as what you put on it.  I can't image those tire are very expensive.

01YZF6

You could do that  too. They are not hard to swap. 4 bolts. The reason I said just the tires is because you will probably have tire spoons kit right? Walmart mini 12v air compressor too?

Al Goodwin

OK....scratching the trailer for this trip.  Instead of rushing the hitch build and all, we'll just pack it all up on the bike like we'd originally planned....it'll be loaded well, but we've all seen bikes packed up more than what we'll have ours.

I'll work on the trailer and hitch between now and when we leave, but we'll not pull it this trip, just not enough time for proper R&D on the set-up.

I'm off work Friday-Monday this weekend, and we'll have it ALL packed up by Monday night.  I work next Tuesday-Friday then we leave on Saturday, July 9th.

Standbye for updates, packing list, etc.....

Fencejumper09

Definitely looking forward to this one!!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Chitza

Quote from: Al Goodwin on June 29, 2016, 01:57:38 PM
OK....scratching the trailer for this trip.

Damn. Now I've got to repack since I won't be able to sneak stuff to that trailer  :-\
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Al Goodwin

Group will be headed out 9am Saturday morning, July 9th.....Waffle House Hwy. 157 exit North end of Cullman.

Fresh oil change, and good looking over, fresh battery, new brake pads.....the bike is ready.  Still may need some suspension tweeking since this'll be the first loaded trip on the new suspension.  I'm riding it loaded up and ready to work and back this week, it's a 70+ mile round-trip commute...so I'll have it all worked out by Saturday morning.

Fencejumper09

Are you guys planning to meet up for a send off breakfast before KSU at 9?

The route looks amazing and I look forward to hearing about the adventure over a couple Sam Adams Oktoberfests this fall!

I hadn't realized just how long of a trip it was going to be but nearly 11,000 mile!! I hope one day to accomplish something this epic!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on July 06, 2016, 08:37:30 AM
Are you guys planning to meet up for a send off breakfast before KSU at 9?

The route looks amazing and I look forward to hearing about the adventure over a couple Sam Adams Oktoberfests this fall!

I hadn't realized just how long of a trip it was going to be but nearly 11,000 mile!! I hope one day to accomplish something this epic!

Probably a short break for a quick breakfast/coffee.