Started by gharshman, July 06, 2016, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

RFP = Ride for Pie

Where:  Waffle House, North Cullman, I-65 @ Exit 310 -- Link here
Meet at:  8:00am
Kickstands up:   9:00am

This ride will be a little different from other RFPs.  I have no firm route or itinerary other than to bimble around all day and visit as many interesting places as possible.  You know... railroad tunnels, sulphur springs, pivoting rocks, scenic cliffs, secret caves, waterfalls, etc.  Planning to stay in Alabama, north of I-20.

This ride will be better suited for dual-sports and adventure bikes.  There will be some dirt roads, rocks, and likely some mud, but hopefully not too deep.  Not trying to make the ride gnarly, but if it happens, we will deal with it.  Also, there may be some light hiking, but nothing too long or difficult.

No idea where we will eat lunch... it will be a target of opportunity.  No idea how far we will ride or when we will finish.  I'm hoping to be home by 9:00pm, but you can bail whenever you want.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Moto Guzzi

I'll come up to see off the Alaska bound folks  and ride for some pie.  May not be able to do the entire day, prior plans for the evening.

Still have 4 videos to edit/combine from the last R-4-P. Going to try to get that done tonight!

kdtrull

lazeebum

I have to work that morning. If I get done in time, I am in. I will p.m. you if I'm going to try and be there. Your rides are fun, and I haven't hung out with the B.R. crew in awhile.

Al Goodwin

We "Arctic Bound Bums" are meeting there as well, at 9.....then heading NORTH !!!!!

Nice Goat

Quote from: Al Goodwin on July 06, 2016, 05:07:57 PM
We "Arctic Bound Bums" are meeting there as well, at 9.....then heading NORTH !!!!!

What a strange and happy coincidence!

Moto Guzzi

I'm out.  Clutch started slipping badly at speed yesterday on the DR.  Need to sort it out.  Have fun!

Nice Goat

I had a blast today.  What an awesome ride.  Thanks to Buzz, Randy, and Ken for joining the ride today.

We started in Cullman to see our friends off on their trip to Alaska.  From their we went to see a new dam under construction.  Then we went to see an old train tunnel.  Then we went through the "Blount County Car Wash" (stream crossing).  Then we rode some curvy mountain switchbacks.  Ended up near northern Jefferson Co. and rode some abandoned train track trails.  Went to find an old mine in the woods and got buried in kudzu.  Lost 15 pounds in sweat.  Then we rode over to Turkey Creek and cooled off in the stream.  From there, we rode over to Warrior and ate lunch at the White House.  After lunch, we took off toward Blount Springs and rode through a bad storm.  We thought a tornado was about to touch down.  By the time we found shelter, it was over.  Headed back toward Cullman.

Sitting in that creek after sweating bullets..... priceless.

Nice Goat

Nice Goat

Looks like we missed the mineshaft by about 100 yards ... stopped by the kudzu...

kdtrull

The iPhone camera is a top performer....but it is only another tool in a large box.  You do a remarkable job using it.  WTG, Moto-Photo man.

Buzz

It was a fun ride. Thanks for putting it on.  More bruising than I expected from my FTFO event. ;D

merc16

In reply 9 those look like coke ovens similar to West Blocton's. Looked like a cool trip !
Justin

klaviator

lazeebum

I had a great time! Thanks for putting together a good route, and the pie.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk