News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Rally for the Galley III - Montgomery August 13

Started by Guidedawg, July 21, 2016, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

Yep, it's once again time for the infamous "Pay to Play" ride I like to advertise.

Registration begins at 7:15AM with KSU at 8:00

Guidedawg

It is exactly what it sounds like - a work event.

Why?  Because this is an annual fund raiser for a local ministry that provides food to needy families.
I'm involved because my church riding group is the sponsor of the ride and my daughters have volunteered for the center at different times.

Is it a rally? Nope
Enjoyable poker run with lots of music and liquid refreshment? Nada
A scenic group motorcycle ride over twisties? Not even close.

But it is a unique experience.  The bikers register and are then divided into 2 groups, each of which has a route taking them throughout rural Montgomery county and some spots in the city.  Each route will stop at a few churches where members have been gathering canned goods to donate to the center.

We come in and meet the church volunteers who inevitably provide hugs and refreshments.  They volunteer their time to be there to meet us on a Saturday as we gather the food and load it onto support trucks who follow.  After a brief prayer we move on to the next church, exploring some enjoyable roads as we go.

Both groups come together at the final church for a larger time of refreshment and then all ride back together to the ministry center where a simple lunch of hot dogs, chips, etc. is provided.

Each year the event is improved.

The first year they asked $25 per bike and there was no lunch provided.
Last year they changed the donation to $10 and provided a lunch.  Sponsors were sought to help with the cost.
Last year the route was broken up so two groups of bikes could ride simultaneously, allowing for more church involvement and getting us back more quickly.
Another improvement last year was having the support trucks take food back while we were still riding.  The first year we returned and then were asked to stock the shelves as well.  It was indeed a labor of love, but now we have more guest riders and do not ask that much of them.

So once again, Mrs. Guidedawg and I (though I go by "Bear" with that group) will be there. Y'all are more than welcome to join in!

VWCarlos

The post says its on the 8th but the flyer says the 13th

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

VWCarlos

I will be there though

2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Guidedawg

Quote from: VWCarlos on July 21, 2016, 01:28:10 PM
The post says its on the 8th but the flyer says the 13th

That's just my little way of testing to see if anyone was paying attention.
Yeah, that's it...

Crandon

Since I am retiring from my part-time job as of today.  I plan on being there.

Guidedawg

Just a final week bump since it will be this coming Saturday..Saturday..SATURDAY!

Guidedawg

This could be in the "Woe is Me" section, but I wish to announce that I will be unable to attend the very event I help promote.

I'm not sure why my back is so sore, but I have missed 3 days of work and visited both a chiropractor and my regular doctor. Fortunately, it's just muscle and nothing bone related but riding a bike (and certainly moving boxes) is out of the question.

So best of luck to VWCarlos and the Heritage crew.

I'm making sure I don't do anything to aggravate it so I can make a rally in Guntersville in September *Cough* Crandon *Cough*

Crandon

Let me know if I need to come down and ride your bike to Guntersville.