Previous topic - Next topic

TFancher

21 days
15 states
4 Canadian Provinces
The Arctic Circle
10020 miles
1 guy very happy to be home.

(My ride report is forthcoming. As soon as I can remember where I've been!)
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Chuck A.

But damn the memories made................... :P
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

TFancher

I will now make a futile attempt to write a ride report. I made a few pictures and took some notes, but it probably won't line up to actual events as they happened. Work with me people!
Packed and ready to go. I'm putting this here as a reminder of how my bike once looked. It will never be that clean again. Ever.

After a long first day we landed in Moraine View IL at a nice campground. A couple of small repairs and called it a night.
Note to self: always locate the bathhouse first,then find a camping spot as close to it as possible.

Day two took us into Minnesota where we camped in a place called Lightning Lake. We found out why it was named that. Worst storm I have ever camped in. I was sure I would be struck by lightning and killed that very night.
Note to self: Hanging from two trees in a hammock is not a wise decision in a lightning storm.

Day three took us across the border into Saskatchewan. We camped in a nice campground at Weyburn. It rained all night and we packed up in the rain the next morning. Anyone notice a pattern here?

Here we are getting ready to go across the border at Portal North Dakota.
I won't bore you with countless pictures of cornfields and soybeans. That's what we saw for the first several days. That and rain. Lots.and.Lots.of.rain.   

Stay tuned. Hopefully it will get better.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

Yankee Dog

Soy bean pics are fine. That Midwest farmland is a different sort of beauty. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFancher

Day four took us from Weyburn SK to Wendell, AB. Today the rain only lasted about 3 hours. At least we got a little break from it. We ate a great meal at Montana Grill and found a great campground in Holden.
At a fuel stop in Lashburn AB. Probably the first time we had decent phone service.

TFancher

Day Five took us from Wendell,AB To Dawson Creek BC and the start of the Alaska Highway. We had very little rain today.
Stayed in the Traveller's Inn after pictures and a great meal at Original Joe's Bar and Grill.

TFancher

Karla's report is much more detailed and I just want to add a little bit along with it. Her description of what we experienced is DEAD ON!

lazeebum

I like what y'all are writing.  When I think about a long trip like y'all took, I would like to think that the weather would be perfect. But anyone who rides knows better, with you and Karla sharing the, for lack of a better word, suckiness of such an adventure, maybe others will be better prepared. Awesome job.

TFancher

After a good nights sleep in a warm and comfortable bed we headed out. This was day six and we went from Dawson CreekBC to Laird River Hot Springs. We were beginning to see more spectacular scenery, but we spent a fair amount of time at road construction areas. The way they fix  their roads is to hard pack gravel anywhere the asphalt has deteriorated beyond repair. And there's a lot of that. Took a few pictures while we were waiting on a pilot car.

We reached Laird River that night ( I will use that word loosely now, considering it almost never got dark the next several days) . As we arrived we were greeted by a huge Bison just ambling down the middle of the road. We gave him a wide path.

We camped in the overflow (parking lot) and took a dip in the hot springs.

TFancher

Day seven ( Friday) and we are traveling through the Yukon Territory. The views are breathtaking. The rain and the road construction were a PITA but seeing Gods Handiwork made it all worth while. These are some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. 

We stopped in Whitehorse for dinner and to dry out a little. Did I mention that it rained?

The Yukon has Provincial campgrounds ( comparable to our State Parks) where we could camp for $12 with free firewood although we never got to camp early enough for a fire.
After the first place we went to was full, we (Melony)found a great spot off the beaten path in the next campground.
Fox Lake Campground.
Some of my fellow weary travelers.

griff

All those scenery pictures look like they could be post cards or something. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

Brian A

Good stuff Tony.

You (and the rest of the crew) did an awesome thing.

TFancher

Day Eight would take us from Fox Lake to the Yukon River Campground just across the river from Dawson. We rode dry all day , which was a rarity. We rode through Dawson and it reminded me of a town out of the old west. Old buildings , dirt streets, nothing resembling recent construction. We stopped at Klondike Kates for an afternoon/evening meal. As I walked into the dining hall I heard someone say "Roll Tide !" (Side Note: I usually wear a Bama hat or Shirt on my long excursions just to see if I can get a Roll Tide. You'd be amazed where you will find Bammers.) A couple was there eating from Birmingham and had lived in Tuscaloosa aand the lady had taught at the university. It is indeed a small world

We left Kates and had planned to make the Border that evening. The ferry took us across the Yukon River.

We soon realized we wouldn't make it to the border crossing before it closed
At 9pm. We stopped and camped at Yukon River Campground.

TFancher

Day Nine: this would be the day. Alaska. Finally. We rode the Top of the World Highway ( which should be called Top of the World Dirt Road). We crossed the border at the Northernmost crossing in Alaska, Poker Creek.  Miles from anything resembling civilization. But 13 miles of excellent paved roads. And then back to dirt/ broken asphalt. Go figure. I guess some congressman got funds to pave 13 miles appropriated.

Beautiful Downtown Chicken, Alaska. This is it.  A souvenir shop, a bar and a cafe. Oh, and 1 gas pump. And awesome chicken pot pie. But don't ask about potable water,unless you want your butt chewed out. The lady at the cafe let me know VERY CLEARLY that all their water was hauled in, and they sold Dasani. Apparently they don't
waste water on flushing toilets either.

TFancher

We finished this day by riding the last 200 miles in a cold rain. ( Have I mentioned that it rained?) With everything we had being wet, we decided to find a hotel in Fairbanks. We stayed downtown at the Bridgewater Hotel. Nice place with a decent Barbecue joint attached. A chance to dry out and rest. Or so it would seem. the view from my room. Did I mention that it rained?