Taking a coastal rider up to the mountains - Montgomery, Alexander City, Cheaha

Started by Guidedawg, August 02, 2016, 09:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

We had such a good time meeting Chuck (Cam21943) when he was working in Prattville that we had to plan a ride for him when he was back in Alexander City.

VWCarlos put together two routes – one taking us around the lake, and one up to Mt. Cheaha.  Since Chuck lives closer to the coast and can see the water anytime he chooses, he opted for the mountain ride.

I was first to arrive at our designated kick off spot and since I had a minute, I reveled in the fact that my beard – completely removed on Christmas Eve – had now attained enough length to secure for the ride.

VWCarlos (Chad) arrived right on time and we had a very enjoyable ride up to Alexander City where we pulled into the Huddle House in what appeared to be the designated parking area.

I accidentally omitted Chad's bike, so the bike parked between me and Chuck was a Harley belonging to another patron who wondered what he was in for when he walked out as we were gathered around.

We were pleased that the well-traveled Mojo1 (Greg) had decided to join us, (Is there anywhere he will not ride?) so we discussed plans while he enjoyed a quick breakfast.

Before long it was time to mount our steeds and VWCarlos confidently led us out of town.  Then he realized we were going the wrong direction and confidently led us back into town and then out again, but the correct way.

Your Bama Rides members did it up right.  We traveled in a formal parade and then participated in a mini-gymkhana before getting seriously underway.  Well, okay...we traveled behind a rural mail delivery for a bit but they did have flashing lights so it was sort of a parade, and then we all went through a roundabout while keeping in the designated lines.

Greg zoomed ahead as we approached Cheaha so he could get some video footage, and also so he wouldn't be trapped behind us lollygaggers who were all taking it easy.

When we arrived at the park, we were far from the only motorcyclists there.

It's safe to say that it is a motorcycle destination in Alabama

After a break we were back on our way, taking another route off the mountain.  This was my first time on curvy roads since getting the VTX1800 and I was pleased with how it handled.  Again, I was taking it very easy but considering that I had left the road more than once up here before on the VLX, I could see that experience has helped.  I found the road down to be especially enjoyable, though we did travel on a less than stellar road surface.

The rain started during our descent but didn't really kick in until we were near Ashland.

We were delayed by road construction but things cleared up both in traffic and weather.  Greg and Chuck peeled off as Hwy9 intersected with 280 so we did not all eat lunch together, but I was going to have to leave anyway since I had promised Mrs. Guidedawg I would be home early afternoon.

When Chad pulled off for a pit stop at a station in Equality, I continued on and ended up riding on and off with a "Save the TaTa's" benefit ride between Wetumpka and Montgomery.

Although I've ridden with Bluesman on some other events, and with Chad on my church's FaithRiderz rides, this was my first official Bama Rides ride, so I really appreciate Chuck's desire to meet up, Chad putting it together, and for Greg for joining in.

It was a great day.

(My apologies for the poor condition of the video.  It looks fine on the computer, but horrible once uploaded)

And it was a good thing I was able to tether the beard.  Otherwise, I might have not have looked this nice when I returned home.

kdtrull

VWCarlos

Good ride report... Like Guidedawg said I was late to the party at the waffle house so when I got there he was ready to go. We rode up to Alex City by going through the Kowilga area of Lake Martin. The lake was nice looking as the sun was reflecting off the water as we crossed the bridge. We got to A.C. and met up with Cam and Mojo1. It was good to see Cam again and nice to meet Mojo1, the tag master, in person. We headed out of the Huddle house and after a missed turn by me... We made the trek from A.C. to Lineville where we stopped for gas and to take a short break. We decided to let Mojo take the lead from there to the state park since we knew he would want to go faster than us through the curvy roads. Instead of just leaving us in his dust, he would get ahead and set up to film us as we rode by. We got on the skyway scenic highway and started climbing the mountain. The ride to the state park was nice and there was planty of others that had the same idea as we did that day. After a nice break at the state park and some good stories shared by everyone we started the ride back south. We followed the scenic highway all the way to the its southern terminus and took Adam's gap road back towards Ashland. Adam's Gap Road is not the best road for road bikes but if you take your time and dodge the pot holes and piles of lose gravel it is fine. Plus it gave us time to slow down and enjoy some of the scenery. Just north of Ashland is when we started getting into the rain. It fell and we kept riding... what else can you do. It finally let up south of Ashland and after a lengthy stop for road construction we were off again. Mojo and Cam both veered off on 280 and the Dawg and I kept moving towards Wetumpka. About the time we hit Equality I had to take a pit stop... I was trying to make it to Wetumpka but after a couple of bumps I knew my time had come to stop. Guidedawg went ahead and went towards home... I road a few miles from the epicenter of the mighty metropolis of Equality to a friend of mines place to cool off and take a break in some shade.   I learned of some of my VW friends were camping at Fort Toulouse so I headed that way to visit and see how the show went. After a few hours of talking cars life and camping... I rode out and finally made it home in time to shower and take my wife to the Biscuits baseball game. What an awesome day! I put about 250 miles on the bike for the day and had a blast doing it.

Thanks to Cam for giving us a reason to ride to Cheaha and to Mojo1 for coming out and riding with us. Also thanks to Guidedawg for shooting some pictures so we had proof that this actually happened. This was not only my first official BamaRides ride but also the first time I led a ride anywhere on the bike. I think we need to have more BamaRides rides in this area of the state. I guess I will need to do something about that...
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chuck & Susan

And I would like to thank you fellas for a good ride and allowing me to have an excuse to ride. Its wondrful to put names with faces from BR. Thanks Mojo for meeting and riding and his photos . VWCarloes and Guidedog for your support and putting the ride and the pictures and reports together. I hope to meet more people and join on future rides. Thank you all!!
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066