News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Birthday Ride

Started by VWCarlos, August 18, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VWCarlos

Monday was my birthday. I had some PTO time to burn or I would lose it so I decided to take the whole week off. I was going to start the week long celebration of me off the right way with the "Rally for the Galley" ride. My bike had other ideas since it failed at starting that morning. My battery was completely dead. So I spent the day replacing the battery and doing some other maintenance while I was at it. Now the bike was ready to roll better than before. I had my family over Sunday and I spent Monday and Tuesday at the lake with some out of town friends. Wednesday would be my time to ride.

I took our early Wednesday morning with only one thing on the agenda and that was to grab the tag in Weogufka, after that I had no plans. The ride from Wetumpka to Weogufka up 29 is a really nice ride. The roads are good and the curves are nice. The shaded canopy spots along the way are some of the prettiest I have ridden. Also found a birding area just north of Kelly crossroads.

The 55 miles from my house to the country store flew by and I was there before I realized it. I snagged the picture and the tag. The store was opened but I was anxious to get back on the bike. So I rolled out pretty soon after getting the picture.

2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

VWCarlos

After getting the tag in Weogufka, I had no other agenda or plans. I would just ride where the ride took me. I was getting hungry by this time so I decided to ride on north to Sylacauga to find something to eat. I rode out to Weogufka on 29 till I rode into town. When I got there I didn't see anything that peaked my interest and I wasn't quite ready to stop yet anyways so again I let the ride decide and kept going.

I know of a good little cafe in Ashland and was craving their fries so I took 148 east out of Sylacauga. I had never been on this highway but it looked like it would be nice from my map. I will definitely ride this one again. Beautiful woods and nice hills. Not curvy but the scenery is worth the ride. Towards the end there is some nice climbs with some good curves. I stopped about half way just to take a break and look around. I saw a dirt road coming so I took a left and turned down it. The road was pretty good at first and then it got rough and lots of washed out spots. I went as far as I felt I could on the vstar and found a shaded area. Took a nice break wandering around the woods and got back under way.

In Ashland, I got gas, a cold drink, a big philly cheese steak and the fries. Their fries are homemade shoestring type fries. Very crispy, salty, and hot. I would almost drive there from home to get them. I do a lot of backpacking in the Cheaha wilderness area and always stop here when I get out of the woods. I think the name of the place is Cassinelli's. If you are ever there you won't be disappointed with your meal.

Cheaha is one of my favorite areas in all of Alabama. So being so close there was no way I wasn't headed that way....
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

VWCarlos

I rode up to Cheaha the back way north on county road 31 to Clairmont Springs road. When I got to highland the rains started. I saw a church and was able to get under an awning and stayed pretty dry. I smoked a cig and waited the rain out and got back in the way with it still sprinkling. My first trailhead of the day was High Falls. This is where the Odem trail starts and joins the Pinhoti north of the falls. The falls are just a few hundred feet from the trial head so I stopped by to see them.

From there I took Blueridge rd to the southern end of the scenic hwy at Adams gap. At Adams gap the Pinhoti comes down from Little Caney Head crosses the road and keeps going south. It also the southern terminus of the Skyway loop trail. Both are great hikes if that is your thing.

Next stop would be the state park for a butt break... But after a stop by Turnipseed campground. This is a great little campground and I host a bus camp out here every fall.

2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

VWCarlos

I got to the state park and I was the only rider there so I had the whole biker area to myself. It started raining again but I didn't mind... I had a moon pie and a cold drink to enjoy. I sat and watched the storm roll through as I had my desert. It was your typical Alabama afternoon storm. The wind blew and the rain fell hard on the tin roof of the biker shed. After it was done five minutes later the sun came back out.

I left out of the park to continue on the scenic hwy. I had to stop by my favorite trailhead in the park. This is just north of the park and it is the trail head for the the Pinhoti and Cave creek trail. The trailhead itself is something to stop and see. The concrete has tracks of animals local to the area and the iron work is awesome.

I stopped by the overlook this time as well for a few photos. Since I was the only one there I had a little bad form and parked the bike up on the side walk for the better photo op.

2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

VWCarlos

After the stop at the overlook I decided it was time to start heading back south. I decided that I would take 49 until I decided to break off of it. 49 is a great road all the way from the scenic hwy to Tallassee. From the scenic hwy it is curly and hilly and something I imagine a sport bike would love. Although the road surface is not the best at my rate of speed it's very enjoyable. When you drop down off the mountain no head south out of Lineville it turns into rolling farm lands. I rode it south to Dadeville passing by the Horseshoe bend national monument park.

I had to stop and get gas in Dadeville. I remembered Monday driving to the lake how I was thinking the roads near wind reek and Kowaliga are fun on a bike so I headed that way up 280 and then south on 63.

I stopped at Kowaliga to see if the wooden Indian was still in front of the restaurant and is was gone... Not sure when that happened. One last photo op...

I rode into Wetumpka and made one last stop to plant the tag. Then on into the gump and home soon after.

I had a great day of just riding around. No plans. No agenda. Just ride where and how you want. Being that I went on a Wednesday during normal business hours most of the roads were void of others. From Kelly Crossroads into Weogufka I only had one car come from the opposite direction. In all I did about 275 miles, ate some good food, and saw some pretty scenery. Not a bad way to celebrate a birthday.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

lazeebum

Sounds like you have a motorcycle for riding. Nice ride report.

Guidedawg

I was wondering what you were doing out and about on a weekday, so belated Happy Birthday wishes to you.

Some favorite roads combined with exploring new ones, good food, getting away for a bit, and taking great pics along the way equals a great day for you on the road and a great ride report for us.  Thanks for sharing!

jrobinson

kdtrull

Cool pictures and nice write-up.  Thanks for sharing the ride.  A bunch of y'all been on a nice roll lately.  WTG!....and keep 'em coming.
I really wanted to grab that tag but other stuff got in the way.  It's still on the list of go-to places.