News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Went To Get a Nut in Kentucky...

Started by gharshman, August 26, 2016, 11:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

About two weeks ago, Yankee Dog took a trip up north and ended up with Nutsy, the mascot for the USA Tag-o-Rama on ADVRider.  He picked it up in North Carolina and dropped it off in Mammoth Cave National Park, near Bowling Green, Kentucky.  I've taken my family up there before to visit the caverns, and I knew that it wasn't that far away.  Quick check of Google Maps, and I find that it is about 235 miles, taking all back roads and state highways.

I also needed to test my new saddlebags with some weight in them.  So I packed up all of my camping gear in the two saddlebags and in the waterproof duffel.  Overall, I was probably carrying at least 90 pounds of gear, including tent, hammock, sleeping bag, camp chair, etc.  It was almost like carrying a passenger.  The KLR took it all in stride.  Didn't even notice any sluggishness.

So anyway, I left home last Sunday morning about 9:30am headed north.  I hit a snag about 15 miles from home with a road closure.  I didn't want to detour all the way to Priceville, so it took about 20 minutes to figure out an alternate route on my tiny, antiquated GPS.  Not too crazy going through Huntsville and Meridianville, but once you cross into Tennessee and get past Fayetteville, Highway 231 improves greatly.  Nice curves and hills, farmland and old barns, etc.  It was very nice.

I took my time, stopped a couple of times for gas or water, and arrived at Mammoth Cave NP around 3:00pm.  As I said, we've been to visit the caves before, but never really drove around other areas of the park.  John had put the nut tag near a small ferry, and you had to ride the ferry across the Green River to get the tag.  The ferry ride took about three minutes!  I barely had time for a selfie and to put my gloves back on!  I was a little worried about riding on/off the ferry because of the water and the metal deck, but it was not an issue for the KLR.  Tires never slipped once.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chitza

Supercool, Glenn! I am collecting stamps for a National Park Passport book. I will put Manmoth Caves on my weekender list now!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Nice Goat

There were a couple of neat things about the route I took, aside from the stretches of farmland, hills, curves, rock outcroppings, etc. 

I passed a turnoff for Lynchburg, which was only about 12 miles to the east.  Thought pretty hard about heading over there (again), but we'll save that for another day.  Hwy. 231 feels like one of those old highways that use to be a main artery connecting north to south.  Saw a lot of towns and buildings that looked like they use to be somewhat prosperous, but now all the traffic goes by interstate.

After Scottsville, Kentucky, I turned off 231 and followed 31 for a small bit, then turned onto 252, which took me over Barren Lake Dam.  This was another great road with sharp curves, old houses, and lots of hills.  The lake and dam looked nice as well.  Looks like they have camping, hiking trails, picnic areas, boat docks, etc.  Possibly a destination for a future weekend camping trip.

Finally, I passed through Park City, but I did not notice the old crumbling tavern until the return trip...

Nice Goat

I'll pay a small ransom for some "magic peach and honey brandy"....

Nice Goat

Of course the trip wasn't all peaches and cream.  The residents of Murfreesboro and Lebanon seem to have a contest going to see who can drive the most aggressively and the least courteously.  Came close to giving several people the bird but decided to not let the bastards get me down.

On the way home, I stopped at a gas station in Shelbyville to refuel.  Bought a couple of hermetically sealed pimento cheese sandwiches from the cooler for dinner.  As I was standing by the KLR eating, I noticed a sign next door.  The Botox doctor was coming!  It was strange because the business was a small boutique, not a medical clinic.  I decided that it must be the female redneck version of those places that have, for example, "auto repair and live bait".  Two unrelated services that are in great demand, but don't seem to fit together in one business.

As I looked closer at the front of the boutique, I noticed a banner.  I'm not even sure what it was trying to sell me.  I was reminded of a scene from "Fight Club" when they are on a bus and they see a Calvin Klein advertisement with a pretty boy in his skivvies, and one of them asks the other, "Is this what a real man looks like?"

Nice Goat

The luggage did fine.
The seat was okay.
Love the highway pegs.
The windscreen sucks.

Made it home about 9:00pm.  It was a long 475 mile day on the KLR. 

klaviator

475 miles is a long day on a KLR.  I don't think I ever exceeded 400 on mine.  But then I never had to go that far to find a nut ::)

Yankee Dog

Nice report.   It was a,nice area to ride through. 

VWCarlos

Great ride report. Mammoth cave is an awesome park to visit. I highly suggest a tour down into the cave. My wife and I did the all day tour once and it was a great way to spend a day seeing a world you never think about existing.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100