News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Track Day at BMP

Started by KevinB, September 05, 2016, 04:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

This is the fourth session for Novice group from Saturday (9/03)...

This would unfortunately be our last session of the day. On the fifth session, we made it half a lap before we were red flagged. Once we pulled into the hot pit, I found out that a rider about 2 bikes behind me had crashed coming out of the "S" on the back straight. The rider directly behind him said that he'd seen him nearly run off the track several times earlier in the day at the same location. In the previous session, the same rider had made an aggressive pass going into turn 5...he came by extremely fast, then maximum braked directly in front of me. Luckily I was able to brake and avoid contact, but I made a mental note to keep a distance from him the rest of the day. I rode pretty conservatively, and tried to avoid any close or sketchy passes all day (notice beginning @ 3:30 in the video...I wind up stuck behind slower traffic for awhile rather than push any close passes). 

After sitting in hot pit for a minute or so, we were advised the session was over. I returned to my pit spot and de-geared. By that time of day, I was pretty worn out and could feel the effects of dehydration setting in...I'd been drinking a bottle or two of water between each session, but still knackered. We would have had one more session before the day was over, but I was contemplating packing it up and skipping the last one.

My attention was turned to the track. I'd noticed at that point, @ 10 minutes post-crash, there was no movement by the rescue truck. My professional experience told me that wasn't a good sign. Not long after, a couple of BPD units showed up. I then deduced that they were there for accident reconstruction...not something that would be done unless there was a fatality. I decided it was time to pack up and head home. Even if we were to run a last session, I knew at that point I was in no condition to go back out and would have been a danger to myself and others.

The news was confirmed on the STT forum later Saturday evening. None of this was meant as disrespect for the rider, but more as a reminder to myself and others that there are no trophies or contingency money involved in a track day...just a chance to have fun and improve skills. My condolences to the family and friends...Godspeed rider.  :-\

mojo1

Good video, sad about the rider.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

ironblood45

Always hits home when you hear about another rider losing their life. Glad you were able to get out and get some good track time and video though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

I heard that a rider was lost at Barber. I couldn't help but wonder if it was a rider or some kind of mechanically induced/freak accident. Always sad either way.