News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

BMW riders on the forum??

Started by James L, October 30, 2016, 09:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James L

I'm thinking about purchasing a GS911 for my RT. I'm not a big fan of funneling money to dealers, plus I'm anal about my bike. Having an RT it is necessary to have the GS911 for service.

I'm wondering if anyone else in the forum could possibly use the service. I'm not asking about money, just reinforcing my choice that could help others out as well.

James L

Chitza

Kris Cook has an f800R and I have an F650cs. So there's two :)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Hammerdown77

I have a 2016 R1200 GS. I'm at 6500 miles and will be needing to reset my service light after the upcoming oil change.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

James L

So purchasing the gs911 is going to help more than just myself.

I can't say when I'll buy it, but I'm putting on a lot of miles quickly. I'm already half way to the next service. I've already purchased all the materials for the next service to the bike (I'm doing it all, oil air, trans, and FD). Total Amsoil for the lubrication, K&N for the oil filter and a Mahle air filter.

I am for sure going to purchase one, just not sure when.  I'm going with the WIFI enthusiast. That should cover most of the models. You guys will be welcome to borrow the unit should you need it.

James L

KrisCook

Quote from: James L on October 31, 2016, 11:28:16 AM
So purchasing the gs911 is going to help more than just myself.

I can't say when I'll buy it, but I'm putting on a lot of miles quickly. I'm already half way to the next service. I've already purchased all the materials for the next service to the bike (I'm doing it all, oil air, trans, and FD). Total Amsoil for the lubrication, K&N for the oil filter and a Mahle air filter.

I am for sure going to purchase one, just not sure when.  I'm going with the WIFI enthusiast. That should cover most of the models. You guys will be welcome to borrow the unit should you need it.

James L

Paging LawnmowerRG.....
I think he and his business partner have one.  They have a bike shop on the main drag in Leeds.  They are just now getting underway, and may not be able to officially work on motorcycles just yet, but I am nearly sure they have one.  They have my 2011 F800R now, to see what kind of a code it threw when it died doing 80+ on the highway Saturday.  It even took a little nap on the shoulder after the third stall, which was the one where I was still in first gear, getting back on I-65 after the second high-speed stall sent me to the shoulder just south of the 31 exit. 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

James L

Quote from: KrisCook on October 31, 2016, 02:07:56 PM

Paging LawnmowerRG.....
I think he and his business partner have one.  They have a bike shop on the main drag in Leeds.  They are just now getting underway, and may not be able to officially work on motorcycles just yet, but I am nearly sure they have one.  They have my 2011 F800R now, to see what kind of a code it threw when it died doing 80+ on the highway Saturday.  It even took a little nap on the shoulder after the third stall, which was the one where I was still in first gear, getting back on I-65 after the second high-speed stall sent me to the shoulder just south of the 31 exit.

Cool....

I still want to have one, for I don't want to ride to Leeds every time I do a service. I do appreciate the information though. It means there is a possibility that a lower priced BMW mechanic is around for a job I do not wish to do.

Still having two around rather than one, will help out the Bama riders. I won't charge for use, where they will really need to. If we come to a point that we have run out of VIN's that can be used, we may have to pitch in to upgrade the software. Trying to help out the self wrenching guys......

James L

LawnmowerRG

We have 2 GS 911s and a Socio we can scan bikes with.

Be aware that unless you purchase the professional model of the GS911 when you plug it into a bike it becomes vin locked. It will only lock to 10 bikes. After that nothing when you plug it to the 11th. You can continue to use it on all the preveous 10 bikes.

The only thing you need a scanner to do on a BMW service is turn off the service light. It will read fault codes, but if an engine light is not on. The chance of having a code is slim.

Also be aware they tell you it will work with a Mac. Yes the software will, but they do not have a mass user licence. You will have to buy a personal one from apple to actually use it on a Mac.

My light on my 08 12 GS has been on for about 40k now. I don't think it has hurt a thing.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

James L

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on November 02, 2016, 08:40:44 PM
We have 2 GS 911s and a Socio we can scan bikes with.

Be aware that unless you purchase the professional model of the GS911 when you plug it into a bike it becomes vin locked. It will only lock to 10 bikes. After that nothing when you plug it to the 11th. You can continue to use it on all the preveous 10 bikes.

The only thing you need a scanner to do on a BMW service is turn off the service light. It will read fault codes, but if an engine light is not on. The chance of having a code is slim.

Also be aware they tell you it will work with a Mac. Yes the software will, but they do not have a mass user licence. You will have to buy a personal one from apple to actually use it on a Mac.

My light on my 08 12 GS has been on for about 40k now. I don't think it has hurt a thing.

I have read the cases where a gs911 is needed. (I'm a member of a BMW forum as well)

I have some i devices but I primarily use PC's.

I'm also aware of the bike limitation. Having to upgrade after 10 VIN's.

I'm way too anal to have my service light on when I can purchase an item around the same price as one service, that allows me to reset it plus more.

I do however, appreciate your insight.

James L

Yankee Dog

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on October 31, 2016, 10:14:10 AM
I have a 2016 R1200 GS. I'm at 6500 miles and will be needing to reset my service light after the upcoming oil change.

Why do you care if the service light stays on. 

Hammerdown77

Now that it's been on for several thousand miles, don't know that I actually do!  ;D
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Nice Goat

...They have my 2011 F800R now, to see what kind of a code it threw when it died doing 80+ on the highway Saturday.  It even took a little nap on the shoulder after the third stall, which was the one where I was still in first gear, getting back on I-65 after the second high-speed stall sent me to the shoulder just south of the 31 exit.

Kris, what was the problem with your bike?  Is it resolved now?
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KrisCook

Quote from: Nice Goat on January 23, 2017, 04:56:52 PM
...They have my 2011 F800R now, to see what kind of a code it threw when it died doing 80+ on the highway Saturday.  It even took a little nap on the shoulder after the third stall, which was the one where I was still in first gear, getting back on I-65 after the second high-speed stall sent me to the shoulder just south of the 31 exit.

Kris, what was the problem with your bike?  Is it resolved now?

We think it was the fuel pump controller.  Rodney put a new one in it and has been riding it.  Trouble is, you have to ride it for an hour or more to induce failure, and I think it also needs to be hot.  So we really won't know if it's fixed until some time in the summer when I ride it a long way.  Rodney also made me a jumper for it so that if it gets balky again, I can completely jump that component.  It'll just run the fuel pump wide open, but it might get me out of a jam.

Stoopid Beamers anyway.   :-\

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Nice Goat

Quote from: KrisCook on January 23, 2017, 05:12:40 PM
...We think it was the fuel pump controller... Stoopid Beamers anyway.   :-\

I love the looks and the sound of the BMWs but it seems like they have a lot of little problems ... and the occasional big problem.  How many miles on your bike?

Also it seems underhanded to require people to have their service light reset at a dealer or to require that they shell out more money for a special device.  I knew Triumph started doing that, but I didn't realize BMW did it also.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KrisCook

Quote from: Nice Goat on January 23, 2017, 05:26:40 PM
Quote from: KrisCook on January 23, 2017, 05:12:40 PM
...We think it was the fuel pump controller... Stoopid Beamers anyway.   :-\

I love the looks and the sound of the BMWs but it seems like they have a lot of little problems ... and the occasional big problem.  How many miles on your bike?

Also it seems underhanded to require people to have their service light reset at a dealer or to require that they shell out more money for a special device.  I knew Triumph started doing that, but I didn't realize BMW did it also.

Rodney has it right now, but I think it still has under 3K miles on it.    Stevo assures me that it is a perfect commuter bike and has a bulletproof engine, so I guess I'll keep it, but I have to admit I'm a little bit spooked.  It doesn't help that I don't get many chances to ride so it feels like I'm a raw beginner every time I climb on it.  Twist the throttle, almost fall off.  Let off the throttle, almost fall off.  *sigh* 

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom