News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

STUCK clutch...

Started by Al Goodwin, November 13, 2016, 02:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

I've always just been able to ride a bike around a bit till things get warm/HOT and get stuck clutches to let go.  The clutch on the TY250 would be stuck if I let it sit over a couple of weeks, but it'd let go after a few minutes riding.....

I've got my '75 Kawasaki KT250 running now, but after several rides, an oil change, and a couple more rides...the clutch is still stuck.  I read that one could run some ATF in it and it'd clean everything up a bit, and help the clutch become UN-stuck......

Advice......

sctparker

I have used type F  and  I  have used  Sea foam both worked when I tried it 

kylepeterson

you mean stuck engaged, like it doesn't want to roll while in gear ? 

or it didn't want to release (disengage) when hot ?

on old bikes that usually means the clutch basket is notched and the fiber plates are dug into it, instead of releasing when you pull the cable.

you can file the basket fingers and get another year or three out of it, depending on how hard you ride it.

atf works great, it will slip on really cold mornings until it warms up, but then it engages and disengages predictably.

for me anyway

Al Goodwin

Quote from: kylepeterson on November 14, 2016, 08:05:25 AM
you mean stuck engaged, like it doesn't want to roll while in gear ? 

or it didn't want to release (disengage) when hot ?

\It will not disengage.....I can, and have, rode it around...just push it and pop it in gear...

I'll try the ATF tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

OH,,.....and it's a trials bike, they never get ridden very hard 8).  Not by dirt-bike standards anyway. ::)

norton73

I had problems with the clutch sticking on my Beta trials bike. When cold it would not disengage, I'd have to ride it around in gear with the clutch in blipping the throttle until it disengaged. Sometimes when warm it would stick.
After asking around, one of the more knowledgeable 2 smoke folks I knew suggested using Silkolene Light Gear oil in the transmission.
I disassembled the clutch, cleaned the plates, and started using the suggested oil. Never had a problem for the following 10 plus years out of the clutch.
I use it in the primary drive on the Norton and in my Bultacos. The clutches on these bikes are working better than they ever had using atf and other oils.
You should be able to get any dealer to order it for you through Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Al Goodwin

OK.....well, the clutch is STUCK no longer.

I didn't do anything except ride it around a bit everyday for the last 3 days.

I'll change the oil again now.  Then I think she's ready to ride. ;D