News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Anything to be concerned about?

Started by IceCold4x4, December 23, 2016, 09:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

Well pulled the jugs and pistons to have them punched out to 1109 and found this crap in the engine...

So things I knew before pulling it.

1. Valve cover gasket was seeping under high rpm use.
2. Spark plug well gaskets were in need of replacement.
3. When wacking open the throttle to wheelie it would poof a bit of white smoke according to friends.
4. Was very likely running a bit on the lean side during light load cruise.
5. Was running approx 11:1 afrs at wot.
6. No flos were installed approximately 10k miles ago with the cams. (this blocks the PCV port in the intake runner that can allow oil to be sucked into port during High rpm no throttle times)
7. Bike is not ridden like a grandpaw sees redline approx once a day, and I ride it just about everyday never sits more than 5 days at a time.
7. Engine only made 113 hp on the dyno with the following mods

CVK40s
Kerker megaphone
United dual pod filters
Zx11 cams
+4 advancer.

So anything I should be concerned about or should be replacing while it's this far apart? just don't want to go back in because i neglected something. And that seems like a TON of carbon buildup...

lk2rd

" :'( :'(7. Engine only made 113 hp on the dyno with the following mods"i]

What dyno?  For example DynoJet dynos are know to be optimistic by a few percent.  Factory Pro dynos are expected to be more accurate.

IceCold4x4

Not sure what Russell's speed shop uses. With those mods consensus is that it should have been closer to 120 to 125.

Chuck A.

Running to lean will melt the piston tops. Is that melted or is it build up? Cheap corn sugar gas will cause build up as it has no detergents added to it.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

IceCold4x4

definitely build up as it can be cleaned off. they are cast pistons so there is still the normal small texture on the crowns underneath. it's only lean at VERY light load IE less than 1/4 throttle at 5k rpms, which is enough to maintain 75 or so.

I think my best bet will be to take the cylinder head to birmingham cylinder service and have it checked out to make sure the valve seals / guides are in good shape then I'll make sure it's actually tuned properly this go round.

springer

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on December 25, 2016, 12:31:29 AM
definitely build up as it can be cleaned off. they are cast pistons so there is still the normal small texture on the crowns underneath. it's only lean at VERY light load IE less than 1/4 throttle at 5k rpms, which is enough to maintain 75 or so.

I think my best bet will be to take the cylinder head to birmingham cylinder service and have it checked out to make sure the valve seals / guides are in good shape then I'll make sure it's actually tuned properly this go round.
You are to rich, not lean. Carbon comes from oil seeping in or to much fuel, dirty fuel, poor quality fuel. From the looks of it I would say oil.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

Ya at wot it's rich 12:1 or so air fuel ratio. I'll be running a wideband this go round. Think I was just panicking seeing them that funky...