News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Cleaning Dirt Bike Headers Question

Started by norton73, December 26, 2016, 09:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

Back on Bama Rides v1.0, there was a couple threads about cleaning header pipes Sanmax? was the name of the person that did the original post and that's what the process was called?

Working on the XT350 and want to clean these up before I put them back;

Loose nut holding the handlebars

springer

Got access to a bead blaster? Not sand blaster, that might be to strong.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrobinson

norton73

Thanks for the link.

I've got a blasting cabinet, but it's got walnut shells in it right now. I don't feel like changing it out.

Jwwr

I use a brass bristled brush and water on my dirt bike headers, works good.

Chitza

Smitty908 and Moto Guzzi were the original posters for this technique on BR 1.0.

Bar Keepers Friend and water. Make a paste. Scrub with a scouring pad. Rinse.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

norton73

Scotchbright pad with water and simple green took the dirt off, along with the paint. Ended up using a brass brush to clean the tight spots up.
Looks like I will be getting out the bbq paint.

Thanks for all the replies.

IceCold4x4

just an FYI for the future a buddy of mine does ceramic coating that's good to 1600 degree's said he'd do my entire zrx exhaust for 125. Might hold up better than BBQ paint

Jwwr

Quote from: norton73 on December 27, 2016, 09:43:00 AM
Scotchbright pad with water and simple green took the dirt off, along with the paint. Ended up using a brass brush to clean the tight spots up.

Sorry about your paint. I couldn't tell from the photo those were painted. I assumed they were stainless steel, which the brass brush works well on.