News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

VFR off the bridge pic explained

Started by norton73, February 13, 2017, 04:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

Rather than go off topic in the "pic from every state" thread, I'll explain the pic here.

This took place at a Nation's Capital Norton Owner's Rally in the Fall of 2006 in a campground in PA.

The car in the pic was towing a small trailer and for some reason decided he needed to go wide when he pulled onto the bridge;

After the car got stuck, the rider of the VFR, who is an impatient person (and a DC lawyer) decided he could get around the car. But he forgot about the saddlebags on his bike, clipped the car, and launched off the bridge, with the bike landing upside down. Somehow he jumped clear and the bike landed perfectly, just like you turned your bicycle over as a kid on the handlebars and seat. He was unhurt, and amazingly, other than a few scratched on the windshield, so was the bike. We probably did more damage to it getting it upright and out of the creek than was done in the original crash.

The guy in the brown shirt is the rider.

Remember this incident involving saddlebags?

:D

Loose nut holding the handlebars

gulfcoaster

Those saddlebags will get ya. I've already had a close call or two since adding panniers to my bike. It's much wider than anything I've ridden before. Thinking about different luggage options before I hurt myself.

Nice Goat

Quote from: norton73 on February 13, 2017, 04:12:11 PM
...Remember this incident involving saddlebags?

The guy on the FJR is Lolo Cochet, a famous French motorcycle journalist.  Which proves the adage that "it can happen to the best of us."

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

01YZF6

Hmmmm.... The song bridge over troubled water comes to mind