Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Bama VTX riders tech session Saturday April 1

Started by hawkvtx, February 21, 2017, 01:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

hawkvtx

Quote from: Guidedawg on March 29, 2017, 01:23:26 PM
Thanks. My plan now is to ride up Friday evening with your other Montgomery rider.  We plan to meet at 3:30 or 4:00 and ride up together.

That's cool, I talked to Nathan yesterday and he told me your plans. Try to have your tank as empty as possible by the time you arrive. Your 1800 does not have a fuel shutoff so when we pull the tank off I'll have to drain it first. The less in it the better.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

jrobinson

hawkvtx

Quote from: jrobinson on March 30, 2017, 11:15:45 AM
You still eating breakfast at 8?

Yes,  at the Western Sizzler on 72East. They have a breakfast buffet that's pretty darn good for about 8 bucks.
I know that Guidedog, Battles06 and myself will be there. Pretty sure Bergman will be there too. Might be a straggler or two show up for breakfast as well. Got my shop all cleaned up and organized. Found some stuff that I hadn't seen in a couple of years too.  ;)
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

bergman32

I'll be at Western Sizzler at 8 Saturday. Went and got oil and filter today.

jrobinson

Pics from the day. Huge thanks out to Harkvtx for opening is garage and helping guys get their bikes in better condition.

renchinrider

The pics tell the story--Wow!  So glad y'all could get together and do all that you did!  What an awesome event, and one each of us should look to host for those in our area, or who ride similar bikes.  Way to go!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

jrobinson

We are fortunate to have 2-3 guys here that open their shops, share their tools/equipment and provide a great atmosphere to hangout with friends.

I was a little concerned about Hawk's garage. At least that what he refers to it as a garage. The problem was there were no spots on the floor, everything was in it's place on a shelf/wall AND ALL HIS TOOLS WERE ORGANIZED.

Hawk and I have a very different idea of what a garage should look like.  :)

Guidedawg

It was indeed organized, but we did our best to keep laying tools around where they couldn't be found.

There was basic light maintenance work

And things that required digging in a little deeper

And even though not everyone even needed work done, there were lots of bikes dropping by

With time for both work and socializing

Can you identify the 2 non-pictured BamaRides members by these 2 bikes?

And of course, there was time for excellent food.

Guidedawg

Even though it's doubtful that I could do anything on my own that was accomplished over the weekend, I did learn quite a few things:

Chaps are absolutely no fun if the zipper breaks but the snaps hold and give you a parachute effect

It is easy to both ride on the shoulder and to lane-filter if traffic is at a near standstill on the Interstate and you want to catch up with the other rider who you told to keep going while you pulled over to adjust those same chaps.

You are not the only person who doesn't know how to do something on your bike. Everyone started out with gaps or no knowledge and had to learn

My bike was in surprisingly good shape for me to have no knowledge of previous maintenance (I am the third owner)

However, my bike is so filthy that it almost made HawkVTX cry at the sight of it since he understands what it could be.

The most simple of things that anyone can do can save a lot of wear and tear. Let's just say I had no excuse for severely under-inflated tires.

Almost nothing is easily accessible on my bike.

But most of all, I learned that Wayne is a gracious host who is more than willing to share his knowledge, labor, and patience with all.
It was a great weekend.

hawkvtx

I always learn something at these events and what I learned this weekend is that we all need to start going to the gym instead of the breakfast buffet.  :-X
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

bergman32

I really enjoyed Saturday. Even though all I had done was a oil change I learned alot watching the other bikes being worked on. Thanks Wayne for all of your help.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

hawkvtx

Quote from: bergman32 on April 03, 2017, 11:42:27 AM
I really enjoyed Saturday. Even though all I had done was a oil change I learned alot watching the other bikes being worked on. Thanks Wayne for all of your help.

I need to get you back in here when I have a little more time and go over some things. I'll let you know something in a couple of weeks.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

bergman32

Quote from: hawkvtx on April 03, 2017, 12:49:29 PM
Quote from: bergman32 on April 03, 2017, 11:42:27 AM

I need to get you back in here when I have a little more time and go over some things. I'll let you know something in a couple of weeks.
Ok. Just let me know.