News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Bama VTX riders tech session Saturday April 1

Started by hawkvtx, February 21, 2017, 01:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

hawkvtx

Below is a copy of the post for the Bama tech session that I made over on the VTX Café and VTXOA forums. I'm reposting here at BR because I know there are some VTX guys here that don't belong to the other forums and may want to attend. That being said it is open to anyone on any bike that wants to come by. If your having an issue with your bike and it's not a VTX there is usually someone around that can help. If you are having an issue and want some help then please post up and describe what the issue is and what type of bike ( make , model, etc.) If you want to just come by and hang out for a while that's encouraged also. Anyway below is the post and if you have any questions just ask.
Thanks

After much ( well a little ) deliberation with other members the Bama Tech Session will be held Saturday April 1 at my place in Scottsboro AL. For those of you that have attended in the past you pretty much know the drill. We'll have breakfast at the Western Sizzler in Scottsboro AL at 8am and then get to work. You don't have to be there at 8 but by 9am we'll get started and so depending on what work you may need done then the earlier the better. Keep in mind that stem bearing replacements are about a 2 -3 hour job and if you need your valves checked your bike will need to sit for about 4 hours to allow it time to cool. Any other work that needs to be done such as oil changes and the like don't take too much time and we will be working on Sunday morning until around noon as well.
So if you are planning on coming and need some work done to your bike please post up here and list what type work you'll need done. If your coming just to watch or hang out with us then post up here as well. Everyone is welcome.
I'll have soft drinks and beer on hand and of course if you want to bring an adult beverage with you that's fine but please drink responsibly.  We usually will try and break for lunch and either grab some pizzas or go out for BarBQ. However sometime we're so busy the time gets away from us and we work right though lunch, but nevertheless, we will try to make time for it.
If you need work done that requires parts get busy now finding out exactly what you need and get it ordered in time. If you're unsure of what parts you might need then post up and ask. We'll try to make sure that you get the correct items for your job. Also be sure to have any fluids that you may need...oil, fork oil, coolant, brake fluid or whatever. I'll have grease, lithium grease, moly paste and some items like that on hand but be sure to check before hand. Nothing worse than getting elbow deep into something and then finding out we don't have what we need to finish.
If you've never attended in the past then I encourage you to come by and check it out. It's a lot of fun and lots of good guys and gals around working on bikes and just having a good time. And you never know, you might just learn something or even better teach something.
So looking forward to seeing everyone and again, please post up if your coming so I can get a head count.
See you then!
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

bergman32

Wayne I may stop by. Just got new bike , new to me and don't know alot about maintenance on it.

hawkvtx

Quote from: bergman32 on February 21, 2017, 01:43:20 PM
Wayne I may stop by. Just got new bike , new to me and don't know alot about maintenance on it.

Neato...what kind of bike did you get?
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

bergman32

hawkvtx

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

bergman32

Quote from: hawkvtx on February 21, 2017, 03:17:14 PM
Here ya go. Take a look at the maintenance schedule and see if there's anything that may need to be done to it.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2008/LIT-11626-21-42_Royal_Star_Venture_1465.pdf
I'm getting a vibration in rear back tire at about 70 mph and don't know if tire is not balanced right or something else. Tire has about 1000 miles on it. Also a whistling sound in the front. Don't know if this is normal sound . Can you call me sometime tomorrow. Don't know if you still have my number.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

hawkvtx

Yes I still have it. I'll call you later this evening after I get home. I'm not very familiar with the Venture however I do know that it has an air assisted mono shock rear suspension and shaft drive. However usually these type things are the most obvious and that would be the tire. Since I don't know that much about your bike is the tire new with just 1000 miles on it or is it the original tire that came on the bike with 1000 miles on it? If it's the later then a new tire would probably solve that vibration problem. Rebalancing the tire might do the trick as well as it may have slung a weight off sometime in that 1000 miles. Or it may just need some air in it. With these big heavy cruisers proper psi in the tires is everything. I run mine at 40psi front and back even though the Honda specs are for 33 lbs in the rear. That's not enough. I would think at least 40 psi in your rear tire at minimum because it weighs almost 100 lbs more than my VTX.  The whistling noise in the front is probably just wind coming off that big faring but couldn't say for sure without hearing it myself.  It would probably be a good idea to join one of the Venture riders forums and ask some of the folks if that's normal or not.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

Well Steve I just thought I had your number. Send it to me again. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've been out of pocket for a few days.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

Just a reminder that this is fast approaching so if you're thinking about coming by please post up.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

Just a week from Saturday. So let me know if you're coming by. Feel free to stop by!
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

jrobinson

I don't have any work I need to do, well I do, it's just that my projects seem to take weeks to finish.

I do plan to stop by and visit a minute though.

Guidedawg

I'm actually going to come up for this one.  I've not done any maintenance on my bike so I'm sure it's past due.

hawkvtx

Quote from: Guidedawg on March 24, 2017, 08:45:07 AM
I'm actually going to come up for this one.  I've not done any maintenance on my bike so I'm sure it's past due.

Are you planning on riding up or trailering? If you're riding one of the guys from the VTX Café that's coming lives in Montgomery too and will probably ride up on Friday evening and spend the night. There is room for one more in the apartment above my shop and you're welcome to stay there too. If you want to do that let me know and I'll get you guys hooked up. Keep in mind that if you ride up on Saturday your bike will need to cool down for at least 4 hours before we can do a valve adjustment. So staying overnight is better.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

BTW the address is 412 Cherokee RD in Scottsboro.
simple to find it's just off HWY 35 in Scottsboro.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Guidedawg

Thanks. My plan now is to ride up Friday evening with your other Montgomery rider.  We plan to meet at 3:30 or 4:00 and ride up together.