News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Is it the bike or the rider?

Started by klaviator, March 20, 2017, 08:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

SpeedyR

for sure. but having the right bike helps, and can make the ride more enjoyable.

if you and your friend are equal level riders but one is on a KDX200 and the other on a KTM450XC-F, I'd guess the KTM will go faster. But if you put a good rider on a clapped out bike, he'll still kick your ass when it comes to off road riding.

I'm no pro level rider and in all seriousness I'm an off road hack and have no idea what I'm doing but I have a good time and can ride most of my bikes decently well enough to keep up with most. I enjoy riding a big bike on little trails. Not because it's faster but because it's challenging to ride and I have a good time on it.

Training is probably the best money spent when it comes to real performance.

klaviator

If I was on the latest and greatest KTM dirt bike, Al Goodwin would still leave me in the dust on his old KLR...........with Melony on the back!

SpeedyR

exactly. Long time ago I raced mountain bikes (like early 90's). There was a guy that would show up at local races with a single speed beach cruiser and crush 90% of the folks in the intermediate class races. Obviously he was in great shape, but it was pretty funny to be huffing up a steep hill to have him cruise by ringing a bell as he passed you.

My limitations on street, track and dirt riding are in my mind and my lack of skills. I can't think of many situations where I think "man if I only had XYZ bike I could have cleared that hill". :)