News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Perfect Dual Sport

Started by gharshman, April 06, 2017, 07:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

The KLR 650 is the perfect adventure bike, in my humble opinion.  It is nearly indestructible, and you can get parts anywhere.  With an aftermarket seat and windscreen, plus some soft saddlebags, and it's HUGE gas tank, you can literally ride anywhere in the world on any type of road, for over 250 miles between stops.  It is the most popular dual sport in the world for well-deserved reasons.  But, if you find mud or sand, it is a fat sow.  You will vomit from exhaustion after picking it up from a spill.

The KTM 350 EXC-F is perfect for mud, sand, trails, single track, wheelies, etc.  At 250 pounds, I can pick it up easily without having a heart attack.  The 2017 version has a flatter torque curve with more low-end grunt, for people like me who don't like running around everywhere at 6,000 RPMs.  This thing is going to be like a barrel of monkeys --- laughing, giving the middle finger to, and slinging poop at other monkeys.  But it is not great for multi-state, multi-day trips.

My point is this: It is hard to do everything with just one dual sport.  They are both perfect --- because they are great at different things.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

ka4pse

Nice stable. Great looking bikes, as always, Glenn. I would love for a KLR to be my next one.

Stewart
Slapout
1985 Honda V65 (VF1100S) Sabre
1985 Yamaha XT350

I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. "This is the 21st century, old man," he said. "We don't waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad." I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...

kylepeterson

just make sure you recalibrate your right wrist when you change bikes for the day !

klr ripping = smooth n silky

katoom ripping = braaaap into the thicket !

Jwwr

Quote from: kylepeterson on April 07, 2017, 07:18:46 AM
just make sure you recalibrate your right wrist when you change bikes for the day !

klr ripping = smooth n silky

katoom ripping = braaaap into the thicket !
Kyle speaks the truth! My 350 fells like a wild beast after riding the wr250r. Then it settles down after a bit and is only a beast if you want her to be! Welcome to the orange side! There is no going back you know.