Has this ever happened to you ?

Started by polarissalesman, April 13, 2017, 01:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylepeterson

of course. i've lost count of how many times someone has said "fo hunnit ? dats it ? awwww mannnnn you needa" _insert_here_
harley
real bike
g es ex arrrrrrrrrrre
booosa
biscuit
whatever

recently i like to raise the visor if it's a lady (there's a lot of women out there that aren't) and give em a wink as I go by. if i had mirrors i would see their head turn to check out the back end. but i don't. so i just feel the heat from their stare as i adjust my position.

but in real life... i just get a kid giving me the "wheeelieeee!" sign every now and again. which i suck at. and they are disappointed. welcome to life, kid.

on altadena there's a cool dude that runs a gas station. he listens to the grateful dead all the time. whenever i go in there he says "great day for a ride, ain't it ?" and continues to bob to the music. millionaire or not, i think he's got life figured out pretty good. oh ya, doesn't matter if it's sunny/raining/flurries/whatever, he's always the same. a constant positive in a sea of stupid. gotta like that. 

springer

Quote from: polarissalesman on April 13, 2017, 01:47:35 PM
I guess to some people all bikes are Harley, just like to some all sodas are coke..... ?????? :o :o ::)
/thread........that is it. ;)

Anyone wants a Harley tee can go into any Harley shop and buy one or two or a hundred of them......at retail price of course. No matter what they ride or even IF they ride.
It is a big money maker for the dealer. (BTW, they do make good riding gear. It will have Harley Davidson somewhere on the gear but it is first rate. Don't believe me? Ask Kris C., she has a set of H.D. heated gloves.)

Polarissalesman has got it right. Just like coke is a slang for soda because of the advertisement, to some all cruiser type motorcycles are "Harley"..........and all sportbikes are "Ninjas".
Yea is is a pain in the butt to those who ride when some miss-name the motorcycle we are on.  :( But is a start of a conversation............that THEY started.  ;)
It is an opportunity to talk to someone about your bike, why you love to ride, what you get out of riding, and maybe......yea, just MAYBE give them that nudge to try out motorcycling or get back into motorcycling.

So do not get mad, just chuckle to yourself, pick up the conversation, and make an opportunity to promote our sport.

The sad thing is we are in the minority......and some of that is our own fault.

If more folks knew how much fun it was to ride, more folks WOULD ride, so spread the joy.  ;)

I mean really, who doesn't like to have fun?      ;D     
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

TFancher

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's cool to dress in a black leather vest and skid lid and ride to bike night at Hooters. And spending all day Saturday washing and polishing the hog is probably a great day. But I'm going riding. Maybe someday I'll own a "real" bike.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

IceCold4x4

Quote from: TFancher on April 16, 2017, 02:21:52 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's cool to dress in a black leather vest and skid lid and ride to bike night at Hooters. And spending all day Saturday washing and polishing the hog is probably a great day. But I'm going riding. Maybe someday I'll own a "real" bike.
Ditto. As long as you ride more than ya polish you are good to go in my book. (nothing wrong with a clean bike but ya got to ride to get it dirty enough to clean in the first place....)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

KrisCook

Quote from: springer on April 14, 2017, 05:04:32 PM
Quote from: polarissalesman on April 13, 2017, 01:47:35 PM
I guess to some people all bikes are Harley, just like to some all sodas are coke..... ?????? :o :o ::)
/thread........that is it. ;)

Anyone wants a Harley tee can go into any Harley shop and buy one or two or a hundred of them......at retail price of course. No matter what they ride or even IF they ride.
It is a big money maker for the dealer. (BTW, they do make good riding gear. It will have Harley Davidson somewhere on the gear but it is first rate. Don't believe me? Ask Kris C., she has a set of H.D. heated gloves.)

My leather jacket is HD too, and it's top quality.  My thick winter gloves, ditto.  They were expensive, and the heated liner they plug into was an expensive gift, but they have delivered on the dollar.
And I want to try riding a Harley some day, just so I know how it feels.  We have a few Harley riders here that can ride circles around most riders on the road, and they are also some of the coolest and smartest people I know.  So I'm not gonna toss around any bad words about a Harley.   :-X
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

TFancher

Most of the Harley riders I know are great folks. The ones on this forum are exceptional riders. But I really love the ones that have a 10 year old bike with 3500 miles on it that tell me I need to get a "real" bike. I just chuckle under my breath and ride away!

I'm not dissing anyone here, but I think we've all met "that guy"! 
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

klaviator

10 year old bikes with 3500 miles on them?  I'm pretty sure you can find some of those in every brand. 

norton73

Quote from: klaviator on April 18, 2017, 03:51:03 PM
10 year old bikes with 3500 miles on them?  I'm pretty sure you can find some of those in every brand.

That would describe my '73 Norton when I bought it in 1986.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

I don't mind people striking up a friendly conversation.  What aggravates me is when they act like a know-it-all when I say something they don't like.  For example...

"Is that one of them crotch rockets?"
"No, sir, this is a Versys."
"A what?"
"Versys 1000 ... made for long distance touring."
"What, like traveling?  To where?"
"Rode it to Key West in April."
"How far is that?"
"920 miles."
"Bullshit ... how long did it take?"
"About 20 hours."
"No, how many days?"
"Same day.  Left early in the morning, arrived after midnight."
"Hmmph." (I took it mean, "More bullshit.")
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrobinson

springer

Quote from: jrobinson on April 18, 2017, 06:30:19 PM
Nobody ever talks to me.  :(
Well you DO ride a dirty ol'Harley.  :) Some folks have never seen a Harley with real road dirt you know. ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

KevinB

Several years ago I had a K1200LT, VFR800, and a Road King police bike in my garage at the same time.

When I rode the Harley, sportbike riders wouldn't wave at me because I was the man...but would when I was on the Honda.

When I rode the VFR, BMW riders wouldn't wave at me because I was a squid on a sportbike...but would when I rode the K bike.

When I rode the Honda/BMW, Harley riders wouldn't wave at me because I was on Jap/German crap...but would when I was on the FLHP.

I thought it was funny, because I was the same guy regardless of which one I was riding.

I have been caught off-guard before though, and been guilty of stereotyping. After buying my Versys, I rode up to N. GA and stopped at a hole in the wall gas station in BFE. While pumping gas, I see an older gentleman in overalls gassing up his 25 year old F150.

He starts ambling my direction, and I immediately start to dread the "Izzat a crotch rocket?!" discussion that's about to happen. He greets me and asks, "That's the new Versys 1000 that just came out, isn't it? I've read several articles on it...how you like it? I like that color...it also comes in black, doesn't it?"

IceCold4x4

You meet the weirdest people on a kawasaki...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

polarissalesman

Quote from: jrobinson on April 18, 2017, 06:30:19 PM
Nobody ever talks to me.  :(

They skeeeeered of you ....why I don't know.... :D
"keep the rubber side down"