Has this ever happened to you ?

Started by polarissalesman, April 13, 2017, 01:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarissalesman

Monday when riding home from Orange Beach I make it to Fayette. I stopped to get a water and to send LuAnn a txt and let her know where I made it to. I'm sitting there and a truck pulls up & I hear a loud voice hollering " hey you, is that your bike" ? Now mind you I'm SITTING on the bike, the only BIKE in the parking lot. And before I could catch myself I hollered NO i'm just sitting on it till the owner comes back. The guy walks over has a HD shirt on, he looks at my bike and says " is that a Harley"?  Those who know me know I ride a Yamaha  Royal Star Venture ..I guess the good lord knew I needed a chuckle...
"keep the rubber side down"

Hammerdown77

No, but once on a trip to Asheville, NC, I was stopped at a rather sketchy gas station in Murphy, when this woman wobbles up to me and asks, "Is that a Harley??"

I was on my Suzuki V-Strom.

Meth is bad stuff, ya'll.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Chitza

Oh, don't get me started on this one...I have too many of these stories. I suppose folks don't expect women to ride???

My favorite happened while stopped at a red light. Some guy rolls down his window and asks, "Does that thing have gears?"  To which I replied, "NO. It's powered by Chipmunks."

And there was the guy who watched me park and dismount my VStrom to which he had to tell me "That bike is too big for you!"  I glanced at the odometer and said, "26,000 miles is a little late to be telling me that, don't ya think?"
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

polarissalesman

I guess to some people all bikes are Harley, just like to some all sodas are coke..... ?????? :o :o ::)

klaviator

Once upon a time I was riding with three friends in LA (Lower Alabama).  Three of us where on Japanese sportbikes and one guy on a sportster.  While stopped in a small town a gal asked us if one of the bikes was a Harley.  So I pointed at the sportster and told her that one was.  She then proceeded to tell us how it was the best one.

Can you spot the Harley?

I guess even before my days with Bamarides I was riding in mixed groups of bikes.

polarissalesman

My wife pet peeve is we will stop and some patron at the store will say, " I wouldn't be caught dead riding one of those, I had a ___________ (Fill in the blank) get killed on one. That just burns LuAnn up. I heard her tell a guy 1 day, well do you know anyone killed in a auto accident? Do you still drive?  I almost lost it...I was like you go girl...

klaviator

I'm happy that the groups I ride with are accepting of all kinds of bikes and I seldom have to deal with bike/brand prejudice.

polarissalesman

Quote from: klaviator on April 13, 2017, 01:59:55 PM
I'm happy that the groups I ride with are accepting of all kinds of bikes and I seldom have to deal with bike/brand prejudice.

Me to, now some locals where I live think if it's NOT a HD then it's not a real bike, needless to say I don't ride with those folks...

norton73

The Norton is the Harley Rider litmus test. 
The newbie HD riders will look at it and ask when i am gonna trade for a real bike, the old HD riders that have ridden for years will tell stories of having one or knowing someone who had one and will say "Cool bike"

My other favorite is the guy in the pick up wearing a HD tshirt looking at my ancient BMW and saying" that's one of them high dollar bikes"
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

Around here pretty much everybody waves back at me regardless of what brand of bike they are riding even if I'm on my little scooter. 

lk2rd

In the early '70's I was riding my Kawasaki 500 triple from Birmingham to Pensacola.  I left B'ham at around 11pm and was somewhere south of Montgomery probably about 2am at a service station and the guy running the place asked me if that was a "Harley and Davis".

Fencejumper09

I predominantly get kids inquiring;

"Is that a dirtbike?" and I love to say YEP!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

klaviator

Sometimes people ask if my Super 8 is a moped ::)

Chuck A.

Last Saturday at the end of hwy 36, at the store outside of Bankhead, I was talking with a large group of group of rocket riders. Two guys on Harleys pulled in. One was proud of his short pipes on the chromed out short trip bike. Stopped right behind my Nomad, said Jap shit huh, and raced the engine 6-7 times, Ringing the crap out of my ears. The guy dismounted after several more racing up loud "look at me" call signs. I looked him dead in the eyes and told him if he'd get him a Kawasaki it would idle with out all that wromping Bullsh_t. Muscle boy started walking toward me with that 'gone kick your azz' look then stopped and turned around to his bike. I went to move and realized I had 20 some-odd guys standing right behind me. Sometimes, just got to ................... learn to keep the damn mouth shut! He was a big sum buck!! :-X
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

IceCold4x4

Quote from: Chuck A. on April 14, 2017, 06:38:33 AM
Last Saturday at the end of hwy 36, at the store outside of Bankhead, I was talking with a large group of group of rocket riders. Two guys on Harleys pulled in. One was proud of his short pipes on the chromed out short trip bike. Stopped right behind my Nomad, said Jap shit huh, and raced the engine 6-7 times, Ringing the crap out of my ears. The guy dismounted after several more racing up loud "look at me" call signs. I looked him dead in the eyes and told him if he'd get him a Kawasaki it would idle with out all that wromping Bullsh_t. Muscle boy started walking toward me with that 'gone kick your azz' look then stopped and turned around to his bike. I went to move and realized I had 20 some-odd guys standing right behind me. Sometimes, just got to ................... learn to keep the damn mouth shut! He was a big sum buck!! :-X
Lol been there done that... My mouth has the same problem sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk