News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Buzz and Chitza's Stray Puppy Rescue

Started by Chitza, April 22, 2017, 01:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

I have always been a sucker for the stray puppy.

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chitza

Hammerdown77

What year is that?

Looks like a good candidate for a "Thinstrom" conversion.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Chitza

It's a 2004. Mechanically sound. Needs basics like plastics, foot peg, seat repair and a new chain. Do you think it needs new sprockets???

:D

IceCold4x4

nah sprockets are fine, sure it's not clutch slip??? lol

Fencejumper09

You could easily JBWeld some fillings/cap onto those baby shark teeth!

Looks like a fun project!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Chitza

Up close and personal on the restore:

New steering device

New shoes

kdtrull

I can't believe those sprockets.  Even my little 16hp 250 started jumping teeth before the sprockets got anywhere near that bad.

Chitza

One of these things is not like the other:

Chitza

lk2rd

Those spockets look like they could cut you.  I had a XL250 back in the late 70's that started jumping teeth before I could get home late one night from visiting a friend at the hospital and it literally was friction drive the last mile or so.  The counter sprocket teeth were just smooth bumps.  Most of the rollers were gone off the chain and the counter sprocket was blue around the outside from the heat.  I was really surprised that the output shaft seal was still good.  I ended up marrying that friend and never let a chain and sprockets go that far again.

Looks like you have a very worthy project.

RubyRider

Looks like someone been getting every last penny out of those sprockets and pads! ::)
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

Buzz

Sorry I forgot to take pics.  But update anyway.

Took maiden voyage.  Cough, cough, sputter, sputter.

Pulled tank, airbox, throttle bodies, etc. Cleaned, and replaced rubber bits.

Raised back to full height.

Ride, rinse, repeat.

It is getting there.  It wheelies fine now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Buzz

Well here's a pic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammerdown77

How many miles does this bike have on it? Depending on mileage and if you know of any service, probably a good time to pull the tank and air cleaner box and check the filter. And check/replace the plugs. And if you're pulling the front plug, good time to drain/refill coolant.

DL1ks are sensitive to throttle body sync and idle adjustment. With the tank/airbox off, and easier access to the throttle bodies, it's a good time to run some vacuum hose line from the front and rear throttle body vacuum ports out to the right side of the bike to make it easier to hook up a sync tool.

Idle needs to be 1250-1400. Too high and rpm will hang when releasing the throttle. Too low and you'll have the bike start dying on you at stoplights when it's hot.

Also, these bikes are known to have throttle position sensors go bad or get flaky with age/heat. Symptoms are not wanting to idle after slowing down for an intersection after long stretches at a constant throttle opening (like rolling up to an offramp intersection after cruising down the interstate). It can also happen just in normal traffic (which is really fun during rush hour).

Another thing to check while you have the airbox off, make sure the rubber intake hoses are firmly attached to the throttle body inlets. Depending on throttle body sync, adjustment/state of the throttle position sensor, and how lean they are down at lower revs, they have a tendency to backfire out the intake and blow those intakes off. The bike will run rough if that's the case.

DL1ks are good bikes, but they have a few more quirks than the 650s, seems like. Once you get them running right, though, they're fun.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom