News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

DATE CHANGE - Pinhoti Trail Ride

Started by Chitza, April 29, 2017, 09:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

I'm going to hike some of the Pinhoti Trail this summer and can't find a good map online. So I want to go to Cheaha to get a hard copy map. What better way than to ride there? Planning a ride is extra sauce. Plans are Saturday, May 27, leaving from Trussville\Clay area around 9:00 am to Leeds, Hwy 25, pig trail, Lineville to Sylagauga for lunch and meander back through Harpersville and Cook Springs area to end in Leeds. While in Sylagauga I want to look for the trailhead.

Food is not important to me so I need suggestions for a lunch stop. This will be a full day ride at speed limit +5 or so with fun curvy roads and beautiful views. I will post in planned rides when route is firmed up and I see who is interested.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

springer

Interested? Yep I am.  ;) If I can go will be up in the air until it's closer to the day of.  :)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Gam

I've always just kludged together the stuff at Pinhoti Trail Alliance for the Alabama sections.  When you click on "maps" at their site, go to Warren Johnson's, maps and click his second link and you can download a gpx of the whole thing, looks good on a garmin with 24k topos, also under maps where they have trail sections, the "Snail Trail" descriptions are pretty good, gives you a guide of what you encounter as you walk along.

VWCarlos

I was going to recommend the same thing. Pinpointing Trail Alliance web site is where I go for pinhoiti maps. I love the pinhoiti trail and Cheaha is one of my favorite places to ride. I would love to meet you guys there but I will be moving that weekend.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Fencejumper09

Same weekend as the Perry Mountain 24 Hr or I would be up for it!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Chitza

I am changing the date to May 20 due to a family commitment on the 27th.

Thanks guys for the info for the online trail maps. I'll download them but I still want a hard copy and it's a good reason for a ride. Moving to Planned Rides :)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB