News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

looking at geting a new bike

Started by zx6r racer 69, May 21, 2017, 11:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zx6r racer 69

i am wanting to get a new bike like a hypermotard 939 sp or ktm 1290 duke r . and i know alot of you guys ride these type of bikes and i was wanting to know what the pros and cons are on these type of bikes. right now i ride a kawi zx6r and race a bunch of motards i am getting to the point i like the motard style more then the lay down . a litle help before i go and spen a few grand please

springer

If you already like the smaller motards then the bigger should give you ALOT more of the same.  ;)

I have ridden but not owned a couple.. the two you mentioned as well as one or two others. For what its worth, I liked them.....a lot.  ;)

If Honda had not came out with the Africa Twin a big motard type bike would have been my next purchase, but in the Aprilia brand.

You should give the Tuono a try while you are at it. ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

merc16

If I was going to spend big money ( at least to me), it would be between the KTM 1290 Super Duke ( better ergonomics) or Aprilia Tuono ( sweet V4) . You could check out Yamaha's offerings of the FZ-09 and the XSR 900 .
Justin

SpeedyR

what kind of riding do you do or want to do with the bike? that will be the biggest decision maker. But any of the naked bikes will make you happy.

I have the 1290 SD and love it. I have other KTM's and really wanted the V-twin and liked the style and the torque. A good friend bought a use Hypermotard that's totally set up and dialed up (AK20 forks, ohlins, multiple sets of spare bodywork/windscreens/seats, rearsets, etc). Another friend has an FZ10 but he just crashed it and bought a tuono to replace it. His riding was getting better and he was starting to do more track days so the Aprilia was more up his alley.

the Tuono is more performance/track oriented. Not as comfortable long rides, but handles better and has a bit better suspension (Factory RR version) out of the box. Love the V-4. sounds good stock, but better with a pipe. expensive to modify.

Superduke has a ton of torque and has a very upright seating position so it feels the most "motard" . With a few well places mods it's a ripper. I have a full Akra Ti system on mine, Rottweiler intake with 80mm stacks, dynojet, and quick shifter. Love it and the intake/exahust really wake it up and make it the bike it should be. Probably 160-170 rwhp. stupid fun. The '17 model has much better electronics so if you have the extra cash go for that, but the 14-16 can be a smoking deal if you find the right one.

the hyper is much lighter so if you really want to ride it like a motard it's easier to throw around. the other bikes are full size/weight machines. In traffic and such any of them are fun but the hyper you do feel the lighter weight. Compared to the others it's down on power but unless you are riding with liter bikes you'll never notice it and if the roads are twisty it won't matter you can't use the power of the liter bikes. My buddy was laughing when he got it he rode by himself for a few days to get used it it and loved the torque coming out of the corners (he has an R6 street and track bike) and was loving it. Then we rode together and he had to laugh again as my 1290 would pull him hard coming out of the corners, so it's all relative. :)

hard to go wrong with any of the naked bikes. I looked at the Tuono, S1000R, and the super duke before deciding on the SD. No regrets at all. Had a CBR1000RR and didn't want an inline 4, wanted a bit more upright seating of the SD for what I wanted to do, and loved the style of the SD over the Aprilia.

zx6r racer 69

this is all great input i will have to open up to more bikes now to look at

hmoore

I have a 2016 R1M I would be open to selling (1200 miles). I am moving to Virginia soon and would like to only take one bike (my Duc 899).

zx6r racer 69

i am looking for a motard stlye i already have a zx6r but thanks