News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Bike will only start and run on full choke???

Started by Shepcam, June 09, 2017, 12:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepcam

2017 KLR 650. I rode it to work a few days with no issues. Went on vacation for 10 days came back and it will only start and run on full choke. If I keep the revs up and take the choke off it will run but does not seem 100%. One thing too is the handle bar mounted choke lever will not stay in place, meaning if I push it to full choke it will return back to off on its own. Not sure if its related. Any ideas?
2013 Kawasaki Concours

yamahamer

Sounds like the idle jet clogged on you.
Gas is crap these days and the idler is so small it don't take long to clog.

Shepcam

Well if thats the case might as well do a jet kit while im in there. I was hoping it might be the choke and get it fixed under warranty.
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Shepcam

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on June 09, 2017, 02:10:54 PM
Check air box and passages for rats nests!

Better not be, I will have to get a new cat then!
2013 Kawasaki Concours

klaviator

Run some sea foam through it.  It might just clear up the problem.  I have cleared up carb problems on my KLR several times using sea foam.

kdtrull

I think there's something else going on....none of this explains the choke lever moving itself.

kdtrull

Check where the cable screws into the carb.  It may have backed out.

Shepcam

Well a few taps on the float bowl with a rubber hammer and she fired right up!! Yayyy. I think the choke lever is a separate issue and I will take it for warranty repair. thanks for all the suggestions!
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Gam

I had that symptom on my KLR,  I put sea foam in it, and slowly moved the choke toward closed, could just barely cut it down at first, have to open the choke up all the way when it starts to die,  did that for about 15 minutes moving closer and closer to the choke completely cut off until it would stay running without the choke, might be worth trying before yanking carb parts, no trouble since.

Oh yeah, and give "micro" twists of the throttle while you are doing this, mine got where it would take more and more throttle until it cleaned out.

Slede

check your intake boot, carb to head, if it's sucking air that will case the same issue.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Shepcam

I just went out for about an hour and its running great. Guess it was clogged and the tapping on the bowl knocked it loose. All of the air box and etc. looks normal.
2013 Kawasaki Concours

springer

Now you got it running, go a head and run some Seafoam mixed gas through it.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.