News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Vintage Rider News - Rench's Rap for July 15, 2017

Started by renchinrider, July 17, 2017, 09:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Hi, Everyone!

I hope all of you were able to take full advantage of the weekend weather and get a few miles under your tires.  I've been out and about on the Super Glide and it's been great to enjoy the wind and weather, flora and fauna, all accompanied by the music that the ol' Harley pushes through those pipes!

We all enjoyed the stories of adventure that Sammy shared with us at breakfast, following his return from the mid-Ohio Vintage Rally.  From his stories and all the posts on our Facebook page, I think we all agree that a trip to mid-Ohio is something we want to post to our "bucket list" calendars!

In current events, RJ and Garry have arrived safely in Buena Vista.  RJ reports that the John Player Special ran like a champ, and the AC works great, too.  Already, they're enjoying great reunions with old friends, and I anticipate both will return with distinctly British accents (well, maybe not Garry) and Norton motor oil running through their veins.

Here are our upcoming activities, along with some updates resulting from discussions at last Saturday's breakfast:

On July 18th, the Huntsville Chapter of the CMA will host their monthly Social Supper at Logan's on University at 6 pm.  This is an open event, and all are welcome.  I've been to several of these, and really enjoy them.

July 29th:  CMA Breakfast Ride.  Members of the Huntsville CMA Chapter are heading out to Western Sizzlin' in Scottsboro for breakfast, KSU at 7:30am from Dunkin' Donuts.  All are invited to join the ride.

July 30th to August 5th:  Loretta Lynn's Amateur Motocross championship in Hurricane Mills, TN.
http://mxsports.com/welcome

August 3rd (Tentative):  We'll depart from breakfast at Blue Plate and travel to Barnett's Cycles in Lynchburg for our monthly Garage Crawl.  As soon as I have positive confirmation on this event, I'll post here and on our Facebook page.  Many of you have visited this shop before, and all reports are that this is well worth the trip.

Sunday, August 13th.  Bama Rides' "Nice Goat" is hosting another of his popular "Rides for Pie".  This will be an all-street, family-friendly ride on mostly two-lane back roads --- no interstate.  Ride will start at the Waffle House on Walker Chapel Road in Fultondale at 8:30 am.  There will be opportunities to cool off in Turkey Creek and take a short hike to Welti Falls (1/2 mile, not difficult).  Feel free to wear a swimsuit under your riding gear and/or bring tennis shoes for the hike.  The ride will end up in Cullman, where we will have authentic Mexican street tacos for lunch at Las Cebollitas ("The Little Onions").  Route will look something like this:  https://goo.gl/maps/5KUXrQX124T2 In the event that the restaurant does not serve pie, it might become a "Ride for Churros/Flan/Helado/whatever."   Here's the link to the BamaRides thread:  http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=1941.msg16587;boardseen#new

NOTE:  We don't currently have a monthly theme-ride planned for August.  But I'm open to any suggestions, and look forward to your responses.  I've recently learned that Gordon Byrd frequently organizes rides originating in Decatur.  I'm going to work with Gordon and see if we can select a Saturday in August to originate a ride from Decatur.  Once we settle on something, I'll get notice out via Rench's Rap and our Facebook page.

We've made some adjustments to our September calendar.  We've decided to scratch the overnight trip to Blue Moon BMW in Atlanta for the time being.  Rather, we'll make the flat track racing in Talladega that weekend (September 9-10) our point of focus.

Please also note that Two Wheels of Suches is hosting a Nostalgia Weekend September 1-4!  The event is focused on "celebrating Japanese and European 2 and 4 stroke superbikes of the 70s, 80s and 90s..."  TWoS is definitely the place to be over the Labor Day weekend!

It goes without saying that all of us are blocking our calendars for this year's Barber Vintage Festival October 6 - 8!

Three other items of note:

There's a new Indian Motorcycle Owners' Group forming in Huntsville.  They had their first gathering last week.  For more information on date/time and location of the next meeting, please reply either to me or to Todd Yeager.

Allsport Cycles has announced plans to launch a Royal Enfield Owners Group.  Contact Seth Campbell for more information.

Linda Robinson has a fresh shipment of NAVMC goodies.  To pick exactly what you want and ensure it's the size you're looking for, join us at breakfast at Blue Plate II on a Saturday morning, and select what you want from Linda's stock.  Otherwise, PM Linda on Facebook and arrange with her to acquire the NAVMC gear that will set you apart as one of those few who are meticulous, skilled and determined enough to catch some wind on an old bike!

Thanks to those who have pushed me event information for our posts.  Let me know anything else you find out about that everyone on our distro list could benefit from.  I'll be away for about a week (most likely off the grid), but will return and catch up middle of next week.

Crank it, kick it, or push it...Whatever you gotta do...LET'S RIDE!!!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!