News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Street tire for the KLR

Started by Gam, October 05, 2017, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

I'm going to be doing about 1000 miles of pavement on the KLR in a couple of weeks, the 244's I have on there would not make it, so I was thinking about a street tire, something sticky, not worried about longevity, I will take them off and put some 244's back on it anyway for my usual riding. It's been at least 13 years since I was on tires that didn't buzz, I just want to see what that is like again.

Al Goodwin

They're not "street tires", but I've had good luck with the Shinko 705's.  Good and sticky on the pavement, surprising good in the rain.

Gam

Quote from: Al Goodwin on October 08, 2017, 09:34:35 AM
They're not "street tires", but I've had good luck with the Shinko 705's.  Good and sticky on the pavement, surprising good in the rain.

Yeah, that seems like the ticket, but the rear is actually a tubeless tire, right? Is it hard to wrassle on?

Looks like a 130/80/17 is tubeess but a 130/90/17 is tube..

dredman

I usually run Kenda 270, which I consider a good 50/50 tire, and I get 2,000+ out of running 80% pavement on.  Running Golden Boys now, which is almost identical, and should get 2k+ out of.   I think the key is keeping air in them 30+ lbs.  You always have a dirt option with them - not great on street or dirt, but you don't have to change tires?

Buzz?  Lots of it, but that is why Allah made earbuds?  :respect-048:

klaviator

The Shinko 244s may look like the Kenda 270s but are IMO a much better tire.  They both work about the same off road but the Kenda's suck on the pavement. 

dredman

Quote from: klaviator on October 09, 2017, 02:28:41 PM
They both work about the same off road but the Kenda's suck on the pavement.

I have been slipping around on them so long I prolly would not notice  :wink-3:

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Gam on October 08, 2017, 04:08:54 PM
Yeah, that seems like the ticket, but the rear is actually a tubeless tire, right? Is it hard to wrassle on?

Looks like a 130/80/17 is tubeess but a 130/90/17 is tube..

No issue putting tube in a tire that's "tubeless"....