What do you look for in a street ride?

Started by klaviator, November 30, 2017, 11:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I know what is important for me in a street ride but the fact is that it has changed over the years.  I know we have a lot of different riders on different styles of bikes on this forum and we seem to do enjoy riding together.  I sometime wonder, do we all look for the same things on a ride?

Only one way to find out, ask the question.  Not only am I curious but I think the answers may help those who lead rides to help plan them and attract more riders.

So;
-kinds of roads
-pace
-destinations
-distance
-how often to stop
-fellow riders
-anything else

What's important to you?  This is for street rides only.  I'll be starting a similar thread for dual sport rides and long trips. If someone is interested they can start a dirt thread like this.

I'll go ahead and kick this off.

The most important part of a street ride (or any ride) for me is normally the ride itself.  I prefer 2 lane country roads with lots of curves, great scenery and little or no traffic.  For me this is much more important than the destination.  Sometimes I go on rides with no destination other than to get back home at the end of the day.  Did I mention curves.  The more curves and the tighter the  better

Food.  I like to eat as much as anyone but I'm perfectly happy to stop at subway and get a reasonably light lunch.  While I like eating at great restaurants, after stuffing myself I'm often more ready for a nap than more riding.

I used to be onto riding as fast and far as possible.  I was into the adrenaline rush.  I have mellowed out with age but still like a spirited pace especially in the curves.

Destinations.  I really don't need one as mentioned before but am sometimes willing to do a boring ride for a good destination.  The Barbers Vintage Fest is a god example.  I'll just drone down on the interstate get there quickly and send the max time there. 

150-300 miles is typical for a day ride but I sometime do more or less than that.

I like stopping at least every hour, more if there is stuff to see and take pics of.

While I most often ride alone, I really enjoy riding with others.  Good company can make an otherwise boring ride into something enjoyable and I really like the social aspect.

The bike I'm riding makes a difference as well.  I have multiple bikes and will often pick the bike that I think will be the most fun for the ride.  My Versys like to be ridden hard.  For a slower pace ride I'll take my Majesty.  For exploring and lots of stops I may take the Smax.

OK, who's next?

DachshundUberAlles

I'd imagine that "kinds of roads" are going to be the same. Then again, someone might actually prefer the constant stop/start of riding in the city.
My "pace" preference has changed since I started track riding, no desire to get "zippy" on the street any more.
Not much of a "destination" rider, unless it's a specific ride to eat outing.
"distance" for me is tied to how much time I have, though it usually ends up being about the range of a full tank.
"how often stop" is tied to others. I don't stop that much, but am always mindful of others in the group who may have joint issues that require a stretchout and relax, as well as fellow older riders who might need a more frequent "relief" break.
"fellow riders" can get tricky. Most people do not have the amount of free time I do, so it is quite infrequent for me to ride with others. It's most fun for me when it's around 3-6 others. It's always a balancing act of skills and tolerance for time and distance, not to mention their bike's range. I'm alone a large percentage of my riding.

Some days I like to just head out with no plan at all, just burn some gas and explore. That's why I got the Super Tenere. Other days, I'll rip and run close to town on GROM.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

polarissalesman

your list hit pretty well... but I"m going to rate them ...
1. fellow riders... who is hosting...
2. Destination as in where are we gonna eat & what are we going to see...
3. kinds of roads
4. distance... am I going to be back before dark ...
5. how often to stop depends on what we ate .... lol
"keep the rubber side down"

Nice Goat

• Curves are nice
  • Interesting destinations, e.g., museums, galleries, craft/skill demonstrations
  • Buddies and telling stories/jokes
  • BBQ - sweet, spicy, tangy, vinegary or mustardy (are those real words?)
  • Pie - Pecan, coconut, apple, chocolate, pumpkin, etc.
  • Other desserts - If they don't have pie
  • Photography - anything or anybody scenic, majestic, rustic, country, friendly, uplifting, ...
  • Just about any other reason will do also   :P
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Okay, here's I go;

-kinds of roads: My fav are 2 lane roads with plenty of curves...some really tight.  8) and dirt is okay with me too. Regardless of the bike I am on.
-pace: Quick more than slow. By quick 20mph + over is good, if the road is good of course.

-destinations: I do ride to get to a place, but if the company is good, the roads are good, then I'm good...ya know what I mean?

-distance: 12 hours is about my max for an ALL DAY kind of ride...most of the time. ;)
-how often to stop: When I gotta pee or eat...and of course, when I need some gasoline.

-fellow riders: No bitchers, whiners, or moaner's, other than that they have to enjoy the same pace I do...and keep up.

-anything else: Not really. Any excuse can get me out riding.

That about covers it.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chitza

The most important part for me is the people/socialization. I like the ride and camps most. I don't mind riding and camping, then taking off on my own or in a small group, as long as we come back to the campfire at night.

*kinds of roads- I like paved roads. Twisty is best. I don't mind riding reasonable lengths of straight roads or interstates to get somewhere to have fun.

*pace- I'm a slow poke. I used to want to be fast. Now I just want to have fun, and fun for me is smooth. I'm usually at speed limit +\- 5. But I do not mind riding in the back and catching up.

*destinations - mountains are my favorite. On a local ride, I don't care where. I don't eat much when I ride. So the restaurant doesn't matter to me. I'll eat to socialize. I'm not much of a historian, so museums don't mean much to me. I like to see other people enjoy them. It is not really a motivator in my choice to ride with a certain group. I do like the backwoods, rustic kinda stuff. I like waterfalls.

*distance- my bike has a 4.1 gallon tank and gets 62mpg. You do the math :)    I'm good to go all day, overnight, rinse and repeat.

*how often to stop- 4.1x62

*fellow riders- I prefer smaller groups 3-5 Riders is perfect for me. I don't mind big groups if I know everyone well enough to trust their skills or well enough to smack them up side the head if they're scaring me when we ride. I will say the Only times I have not liked big groups is when someone won't follow General group safety rules. I generally just move further back.

* anything else - if I'm riding in an organized group ride, I really appreciate strong leadership and good communication from the ride leader in the pre-ride meeting. Especially if there are new folks in the group. A little info on route is good, because I will probably be the one in the back, being waited on.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kylepeterson

what do I look for ?

1 who is leading it
2 there is no 2
OK, really 2 is just a quick summary of "how far" both from home to the start, and the ride length.

I've learned the GREAT street ride leaders have it all figured out. they keep a sane pace for all of the ride, prompting us for anything dangerous or fun, and stopping at the interesting spots for food/fuel.

what I look for in the group (from the back) is who is duck walking, runs wide in show speed turns, and talks more than necessary. that guy or gal is going to be on my radar all day. if it's a skilled group of quick riders, I can relax and follow through fun roads, for hundreds of miles. if there are poor riders I'll break off early and count my stars when I arrive at home.

street riding is serious stuff, I don't mess around (much) at all like I would on a dirty ride.

if
nice goat
Kwb
klaviator
Johnny
or similar folks post one, in gonna try to make it. they know all the cool places and make it a JOY to follow
just give 'er the berries !

Chuck A.

I love me some 2 lane country roads. Curves are Good! I love to see old farm land, cows, crops, barns........ I don't mind a slow moving tractor. Fruits of their labors are a good thing. I can ride by myself or with a small group but I want to be in the rear. I want to see the sights and not have to constantly watch the taillights in front of me or what is on my arse should I slow down to look. Speed,,,, depends on the road surface. I ride a big heavy bike so gravel in the curves,,, don't care for it. Smoother surface,, let her rip but I'm still looking at the sights. Most of the time when I get to ride it is not a planned ride just some off time work. Time for seeing Gods creation and creatures, and just me and the bike as one. I don't plan a road I just turn when the notion hits me. My medications plan my stops for me. Enough on that one. I put the Day Long seat on my bike so that stops could be short and not have to spend an hour resting my butt and legs before continuing. Unless the meal is the heart of the planned ride, just a burger and get on with the riding. My bike has a range of around 140 miles highway but I will fill it up around 120 miles cause the tank bottom is flat and on 2 lane curves I don't want to add air to the injection(in the tank pump) with low level sloshing fuel. How far do I want to ride in a day? Till I'm content with the ride and what I've seen on that day. I have left home at 7am and be home by 11am. But then again, I have left home at 7am and be home at 7pm, and never be further than 150 mile from home and never stopped more than 1 hours time all day. So Many Roads So Little Time. 8)
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson