Dixie ABATE meeting 2 PM Saturday, October 28, in Muscle Shoals

Started by KrisCook, October 24, 2017, 11:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrisCook

Dixie ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Toward Education) is going to meet Saturday to discuss our new Freddy Wheeler Rider Training Scholarship, which will reimburse members 100% of the cost of a successfully-completed MSF BRC, and 50% of the cost of a successfully-completed course other than the BRC.  We need to nail down the finer points, such as, whether we will accept completion cards from any other program other than MSF sponsored, and how recent the class completion needs to have been, etc.

We will also emphasize how we need riders to go into drivers ed classes and teach a unit on what it's like to ride a motorcycle, from the rider's perspective, which helps the kids to understand why it is important that they watch specifically for us.

We'll talk about our unfilled leadership positions and what we need to do in order to fulfill our mission of eliminating rider fatalities in this state.

Secondarily, we will talk about what legislative initiatives we want to pursue in 2018, if any.

We'll talk about funding for our four billboards that we keep over high-traffic areas in the state, which are part of our Watch for Motorcycles (crap) campaign.   They cost us $8,000 per year and are seen by 200,000 sets of driving eyes per day, if 70% of drivers look up from their phones long enough to see them.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, we'll drink a beer (if not riding) and eat a burger and ponder all the weighty questions of our milieu.

Join us.  I'll ride if it's over 50 and not raining.  Will probably take 195 up through Double Springs, to 243, to the corner where Stell's is.

Stell's Sports Grille
4127 Sportsplex Drive
Tuscumbia, AL  35674

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

renchinrider

Along the same lines:  Motorcycle Law Group (McGrath, Danielson, Sorrell & Fuller, PO Box 5424, Richmond, VA 23220) is hosting its 3rd Reddit "Ask Us Anything" virtual forum on Thursday, Nov 9th.  Here's a copy/paste of the flyer Matt Danielson sent me:

We enjoyed our first two Reddit "Ask Us Anything" forums so much that we have decided to host another. If you missed the last one, tune in for this one. 

The Reddit Ask Us Anything (AUA) forum will be held on Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 2 p.m. EDT. We invite you to join the conversation as attorneys from The Motorcycle Law Group answer your questions about:

Motorcycle laws and statutes
    What to do in the event of an accident
    How much and what type of motorcycle insurance you really need
    Anything else motorcycle-law related 

Details
Login to Reddit.com on:

Thursday, November 9, 2017
    2 p.m. EDT - 4 p.m. EDT
    Submit questions for our team to answer. 

What is Reddit?

Reddit is a social news aggregation and discussion website. Reddit's community members can submit content, like we are for this Ask Us Anything. If you want to join the conversation but do not yet have an account, it very easy to sign up (and free).

We look forward to active participation from the MLG community. We will send another reminder the day of the event to direct you to the forum.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

I attended one of Matt Danielson's live Motorcycle Law Group seminars with the Virginia ABATE, and it was very worthwhile!  I'm sure any of you who wish to participate will be welcome.
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

KrisCook

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Slede

may be off subject but I've always played a variation of the punch bug game with my kids in the car. if they spot the motorcycles before we get to them, they get to punch me, if they spot the motorcycles before I do, we stop for ice cream. I sometimes forget we are playing but they never do
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.