News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

pros and cons of a 2014.5 klr

Started by Slede, November 16, 2017, 11:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slede

another point, I've been looking at videos of off road capable bikes. and of all of them, the new Africa twin doesn't look like it would be all that much different, harder to handle, than a klr, size wise they are very similar. I do a lot of commuting and I've never been a bike hauler type. I just like to be able to explore while I'm out riding and wanted a capable tool for the job.

knowing that there a at least a couple AT riders on the forum I figured that i'd throw the question out there.

GS, ST, ADV riders please feel free to jump in with your opinions as well.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

springer

For me, the Africa Twin is not the limiting factor...I am.  ::)

It feels like an over-sized dual sport. Good ground clearance and such. One bad thing about it is the wide rear rim/tire size. It is a little funky being that it takes a 150/70-18 tire unlike the 17 inch size most "adventure" type motorcycles have. Honda is supposed to be coming out with a version that is even more dirt friendly with a bigger factory skid plate, crash bars, and all models get a steel rear rack instead of the plastic one that is on mine. Of course the suspension is like the majority of bikes. Soft. But is is pretty adjustable. Got mine just about where I want it at #190 something pounds. (Me with all my gear on but carrying next to nothing)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrobinson

Quote from: Slede on November 20, 2017, 07:10:55 PM
another point, I've been looking at videos of off road capable bikes. and of all of them, the new Africa twin doesn't look like it would be all that much different, harder to handle, than a klr, size wise they are very similar. I do a lot of commuting and I've never been a bike hauler type. I just like to be able to explore while I'm out riding and wanted a capable tool for the job.

Says the guy who goes offroading on a Harley with a foot clutch.   ;D

norton73

Just wait a few months and I know where you will be able to get a good deal on a DR650...

;D
Loose nut holding the handlebars

DonJuan

I have a '15. For commuting it's great. For forest roads and all but the gnarliest trails, it's perfect. I have 0 complaints about suspension, but the stock seat is murder after 30 minutes.

The only time you'll second guess your decision is if you drop it.

I've stuck mine in a river, with no help around; dropped it on a slick muddy hillside, again alone...those are the days that I regret that both me and the bike are 50 lbs overweight. The rest of the time it is a 40hp smile generator. They call em tractors for a reason. First gear is tall enough that you don't shift much  in technical terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

DonJuan

Quote from: DonJuan on November 21, 2017, 08:56:00 AM
I have a '15. For commuting it's great. For forest roads and all but the gnarliest trails, it's perfect. I have 0 complaints about suspension, but the stock seat is murder after 30 minutes.

The only time you'll second guess your decision is if you drop it.

I've stuck mine in a river, with no help around; dropped it on a slick muddy hillside, again alone...those are the days that I regret that both me and the bike are 50 lbs overweight. The rest of the time it is a 40hp smile generator. They call em tractors for a reason. First gear is tall enough that you don't shift much  in technical terrain.

river...

Slick trail...

KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

terryrussell1

Quote from: norton73 on November 21, 2017, 08:12:10 AM
Just wait a few months and I know where you will be able to get a good deal on a DR650...

;D
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

merc16

Quote from: springer on November 20, 2017, 08:58:29 PM
For me, the Africa Twin is not the limiting factor...I am.  ::)

It feels like an over-sized dual sport. Good ground clearance and such. One bad thing about it is the wide rear rim/tire size. It is a little funky being that it takes a 150/70-18 tire unlike the 17 inch size most "adventure" type motorcycles have. Honda is supposed to be coming out with a version that is even more dirt friendly with a bigger factory skid plate, crash bars, and all models get a steel rear rack instead of the plastic one that is on mine. Of course the suspension is like the majority of bikes. Soft. But is is pretty adjustable. Got mine just about where I want it at #190 something pounds. (Me with all my gear on but carrying next to nothing)

What kind of range are you getting out of a tank of gas ?
Justin

Nice Goat

Quote from: norton73 on November 21, 2017, 08:12:10 AM

;D

Hey, I'm watching you...    ;D
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Slede

When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

merc16

Justin

Slede

and I have stumbled across a dr650 that I need to go look at, looks to be in good shape and is a good enough deal to say it could stay for a second bike if nothing else