News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

pros and cons of a 2014.5 klr

Started by Slede, November 16, 2017, 11:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slede

I have an opportunity to acquire a 14.5 klr. they say everything is addressed on those year models. is there anything I should still look for?

talk me into it or talk me out of it......
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

klaviator

Does it have a milk crate?

:lol-049:

Slede

When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

KevinB

I think the only upgrades to the '14.5 "New Edition" was stiffer springs and a more comfy seat.

springer

Quote from: klaviator on November 16, 2017, 12:31:13 PM
Does it have a milk crate?

:lol-049:

Quote from: Slede on November 16, 2017, 01:36:53 PM
that was missing  :violin-011:

You need one? Believe it or not I have one.  :sorry:  It IS blue though...could clash with the green...maybe...hell, I don't really know.  :sorry:

Just yanking your chain man.  :hi-002: Cool bike, it will run forever from what I have heard.  :respect-048:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Gam

You have to have a thermabob, klx jet kit, new doohickey and spring,  and advance the cam gear one tooth or that thing will grenade on you.  I did put an eagle mike doo hickey and spring on my 2012, there is enough evidence out there as to the need for me to just go ahead and do it. I can't see getting rid of it even if I got something else,  cobby low horsepower mule, my kind of bike. You shouldn't have anything to worry about if fairly regular maintenance has been done,

springer

Quote from: Gam on November 16, 2017, 06:51:55 PM
You have to have a thermabob, klx jet kit, new doohickey and spring,  and advance the cam gear one tooth or that thing will grenade on you.  I did put an eagle mike doo hickey and spring on my 2012, there is enough evidence out there as to the need for me to just go ahead and do it. I can't see getting rid of it even if I got something else,  cobby low horsepower mule, my kind of bike. You shouldn't have anything to worry about if fairly regular maintenance has been done,
I thought Kawasaki did away with the doohicky?  :thinking-022:
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Gam

Quote from: springer on November 16, 2017, 07:03:29 PM
I thought Kawasaki did away with the doohicky?  :thinking-022:

Mine has it, I'm pretty sure they all still have it, they did update it, made it out of a solid piece of metal instead of being welded together.

TFancher

Quote from: Gam on November 16, 2017, 06:51:55 PM
Or you can just ride the hell out it.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Slede

He's out of town for a week and I'm working everyday so I've got until next weekend to talk myself out of it

yamahamer

Quote from: Slede on November 17, 2017, 10:17:24 AM
He's out of town for a week and I'm working everyday so I've got until next weekend to talk myself INTO it

Fix that spelling error for ya.  :respect-048:

Slede

Quote from: yamahamer on November 17, 2017, 11:25:04 AM
Fix that spelling error for ya.  :respect-048:

I spelled it right, I'm dead on after it, something will have to change my mind

yamahamer

Quote from: Slede on November 17, 2017, 01:50:41 PM

I spelled it right, I'm dead on after it, something will have to change my mind

Don't look to me for help then.  :lol-049:

jrou111

Even with the stiffer springs the suspension is gonna be too soft for you but makes a decent trail bike. Not a lot of power but they're so much fun to ride!

Nice Goat

Doohickey is much stronger than before, but new from the factory, almost two-thirds of the spring travel is already used up.  Some folks recommend changing it to a torsion spring.  It takes about two hours to perform the job.  It doesn't need to be done immediately, but maybe before 10,000 miles would be best.  Some people say that it never needs to be done.  But it is cheap insurance to go ahead and knock it out.

Other than that, mechanically it is rock solid.  You should get 80,000 miles or so out of that engine.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."