pondering shipping bikes out west

Started by polarissalesman, November 22, 2017, 07:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarissalesman

flying out and then riding back... WHY because I don't have enough vacation time to ride out and do what we want to do....Has any1 here ever done anything like this?  My wife rides a 2014 can-am rt ltd spyder and most know I ride a Yamaha venture, two huge bikes...this would give us roughly 9 days to ride back ... 1 thing would be to find somewhere to ship the bikes...and to make sure they are there or work out the details and be there when the bikes arrived. Yes I know something would end up going wrong ... Has anyone ever attempted this?
"keep the rubber side down"

renchinrider

Happy Thanksgiving, Polaris.  I don't know anyone who has shipped their equipment in the manner you're planning.  Not sure if there's a "hot shot" transporter out there with the right equipment to move your bikes for you (enclosed trailer, combined with the right rates to make your move practical).  The only other realistic option I know if is to contact Old Dominion Freight Lines and see if they'd pick up and ship your bikes for you as a "less than truckload" portion of a larger move.  That would probably be cheaper, but would require a little more time, or a little more money.  There may be other trucking companies that offer the same service; I'm only (marginally) familiar with ODFL's program.

Hope this is somewhat helpful, though I fear you already knew all this...
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Nice Goat

People on ADV recommend UShip a lot.  Problem will be finding a dealer to receive it and uncrate it for you.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

LawnmowerRG

Some auto transporters will move bikes too.

Have you checked the cost to just fly out and rent a bike. Then fly back.
Southwest has some pretty cheap tickets. And you go 9 days you will get the cheapest rate on rental too. (I did this to San Fran a few years back. Rode up PCH on a KTM 990 adventure).

You may be able to do that for close to the same price as shipping and riding your own bikes, and you could try a bike you may have wanted to try for a long time.

Con
is that your trip has to be a circle.
There are some awesome circles out there though.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

JBMFT

How far West and when are you wanting to go?
If you are committed to spending the money just get a couple of us to ride them out and meet you. A few days of camping, gas, meals and a rental car home has to be cheaper than shipping and a lot less hassle.

polarissalesman

jrobinson

Next 3 day weekend, yall ride both bikes out to N. Cal. Then store both bikes in a storage unit and fly back home.

Come Vacation time, you fly back to Cal and ride home.

JBMFT

Quote from: polarissalesman on November 23, 2017, 04:35:49 PM
somewhere in northern California

I've done California and back in 9 days mostly on back roads so a one way trip out there to drop the bikes is very doable. There are several good ideas in this thread. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. Keep me on the short list of people to get them out there if you decide to go that way. I'm overdue for another adventure. :)

klaviator

My advice would be to do what I did a couple of years ago.  Haul the bikes out, ride the good stuff and then haul the bikes back.  Figure 2 days each way to some place like Albuquerque.  That puts you right in prime riding country.  East of there the riding isn't that great anyway.  If you want some ideas check out my ride report here:http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/southwest-by-versys.1066154/

polarissalesman

Quote from: klaviator on November 23, 2017, 09:45:16 PM
My advice would be to do what I did a couple of years ago.  Haul the bikes out, ride the good stuff and then haul the bikes back.  Figure 2 days each way to some place like Albuquerque.  That puts you right in prime riding country.  East of there the riding isn't that great anyway.  If you want some ideas check out my ride report here:http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/southwest-by-versys.1066154/

got a buddy in Scottsbluff Ne,  SW corner, we have talked about trailering to his house and then riding.... he said he was 4 hrs from the Black Hills...good area to ride out of...So I remembered you and I talking bout trailering ...