News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Tell us about the vintage bikes you own, owned or lusted after.

Started by klaviator, December 01, 2017, 02:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I used to think of vintage bikes as really old Indians and Harleys.  Stuff older than dirt.  There is a very active vintage club here in north Alabama and most of their bikes seem to be a lot newer than that.  Lots of Japaneses bikes from the 60's, 70's and 80's.  Now those are bikes I can really relate to since I grew up lusting over those bikes and even owned a few.  I think their definition of vintage is at least 25 years old.  Since it's nearly 2018 that would mean 1993 or older.

So lets get some discussion going on those bikes.  If you own, owned or lusted after any bikes 1993 or older, tell us about those bikes.  Post pics if you have them or just steal one off the internet.

I'll kick things off with my first bike, a 1976 Kawaswaki KZ400 that I bought used in 1980.  I actually have a picture of it:

It would not be impressive by today's standards but back then I wasn't spoiled and it seemed like a really fast and powerful machine.  I sometimes wonder how I would feel if I rode one of these bikes today.  Would I still enjoy it or would it ruin the memory?   

Somehow I think I'd still enjoy it. 

Chitza

I used to have a 1953 Harley Hummer :'(
My dad was storing it in his garage and sold it when a guy came by wanting it REAL bad.

Now we have this:

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

norton73

Well, I guess you should be able to tell by my user name I have a 1973 Norton Commando Interstate 850. I bought it in 1988 out of a carport in Md where it had been sitting under a plastic sheet for 10 years.
My first bike at 15 was a 350 Ducati, the second was a '72 Norton Combat Commando, it had been heavily modded by the first owner and had cost him his driver's license. Somehow I managed not to get in as much trouble with it, but I did collect a few tickets. I also took it road racing, back when WERA was ERA.
I sold it and rode a couple BMW's, 1000cc Kawasaki's and Suzuki's.
One  sunday morning reading the classfifid adds in the Washington Post I saw the ad for the Norton and decided to go look at it.
It's gone through a lot in the 60K miles and 30 years I've owned it, and is still my favorite ride.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

Back in "the day" I really lusted after the RD400 2 smoke Yamaha's.  I was doing that this morning at the Vintage Club Breakfast.

Those aren't oil spots on the ground.  That was me drooling. :D

Mattc1683

No pictures yet as i just got it today but i have a 1972 honda cb750 cafe racer.

kylepeterson

all those cool looking CB series, until I sat on it.
all those cool looking super sports, until I reached for the bars.
all those trikes until I turned one.

yup, running back to standard seating positions and open ergo is what happens.
just give 'er the berries !

Fencejumper09

These are nearing vintage status haha!!  :P

Growing up in motocross my dream was to ride a full factory works bike! Jeremy McGrath was my idol!

And I always had a dream of having an Anniversary Edition Hurricane YZ250

Stay tuned, one of these will come to fruition!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Don

I've always wanted an XR350, XL350, and a XL600V Transalp.

My first love, ingrained in my memory from the cover of a dirt bike mag circa 1980, was a Maico 490.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk