News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Camping Gear- Tent/hammock shelter etc...

Started by DonJuan, February 25, 2018, 12:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonJuan

I missed the notice for the Motocamping info in Huntsville, and also don't see any recent posts about camping gear, so I thought I'd bring it up.  I've always wanted to incorporate overnight camping into my riding. I've got some (very limited) gear, but no tent

What type of shelter and absolute must have gear do y'all recommend? The season is upon us, and I want to take full advantage of it.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to provisions, so quick, easy, light, and fast are all terms that come to mind when I think about setting up and packing up camp.
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

JBMFT

Get a Wolfman dry duffel, a cheap tent or ENO hammock, strap it on your ride with the rest of your stuff and go. Pretty simple.

Edited to add: here's a series I did on my blog about gear. If you are starting with the minimal gear or nothing it might help you get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

http://jbmft.blogspot.com/search/label/Gear

jrou111

If you're like me and can't get comfortable in a hammock, check out the Kelty Salida 2 tent. It has shorter (15") poles and packs VERY small...like the fabric in a tankbag and poles in a camelback small. It has a vestibule and enough room inside for 1 person + gear.

Hammerdown77

I spent the big money and got a Hennessy hammock and accessories, and having used it once I don't know that I'm enamored with it. I need to get some more serious time with it, try a few different things, but maybe hammocking is not for me. This is one has their classic bottom entry system with fixed bug net on top, and on the warm and humid day I tried it out I was rolling sweat almost instantly once I was inside. Despite a light breeze, I felt none of it. Felt like I was wrapped up in a plastic bag.

That said, I've always had miserable times in tents, apart from when I was a small squishy kid.

The Salida 2 is the tent I was going to get before I got this hammock. I'll probably go ahead and buy one to at least have if I send this hammock down the road, or as an option when going somewhere without many tree hanging options.
I'm sure my unpleasant experiences with tent camping could be rememdied with a better pad and sleeping bag (not only did all my joints hurt after lying on the ground all night, I also near froze to death at 40 degrees).
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

klaviator

I've been experimenting with moto-camping for about 6 or 7 years now.  Before that it was pretty easy as I only camped when I took the truck and didn't have to worry about fitting it all on the bike.  The hardest thing to get right for me has been the sleeping pad/mattress.  I sleep pretty well on a full size air mattress and real pillow but have had a hard time with smaller pads/mattresses.  Those lightwieght and real thin things just don't work for me.  I finally settled on a Coleman Air Mattress sized for a cot:  https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Coleman-Lite-Slim-Twin-Air-Bed/productDetail/Airbeds-and-Pumps/prod99999035500/cat100845?ref=google&gclid=CjwKCAiA_c7UBRAjEiwApCZi8fGPcw6hR-Lcg5f3QjGjl0TlSPENmDzWWSSXbY4qQHHelGkzij2ihBoC5Q4QAvD_BwE

It's way less than the expensive camping air mattresses and works better but it is bigger, heavier and requires you bring some kind of pump to inflate it.

To augment my sleeping bag in cold weather I wear a Hoodie sweatshirt and sweat pants.  Covering your head makes a huge difference in keeping warm.

springer

Camping and sleeping...yep, been there, done it, and slept ether comfortable or miserable.  :D

Hammocks, got 3. 2 Hennessy and 1 no-name cheapo. The 2 Hennessy's have the rain cover, bug netting stuff. 1 you get in from the bottom, 1 from the side..(both sides zip) I like the side entrance best but the bottom entrance/exit has an advantage. You can sit on the bottom entrance/exit with your feet out shoes/boots untied/unzipped then use one foot to slide the boot/shoe off and it is close enough to the ground to land right side up. Makes it easier to find during the night if you have to pee or something.
If it is going to be a warm night with out rain, I do not use the rain cover thingy. The only time it can be bad is when it is raining and warm cause the rain fly can trap some heat. The cheap-O one has no rain fly or bug netting, it is just open. Okay if its warm and you have some bug netting you can drape over. (I do)
Forgot the name of the tent, but it is a decent brand. Packs small and has a vestibule thing you can stake out so you can sit under it if it is raining. The entrance can be zipped out and the bug netting can be zipped in if it is warm.
I have a couple of pads. 1 blow-up and 2 foam type that can be folded in 1/2 and rolled tight.
2 sleeping bags, 1 for cold weather, 1 for warm.
Kermit chairs are nice but I do not have 1 yet.
I also have a couple of blow-up type pillows but must of the time I just fold my riding jacket up.
Some other nice things to have are a grill with 'feet' the breaks down so you can cook/warm food up/boil water over a fire.
A jet boil to make coffee/boil water/warm soup stew with.
A head lamp so you can see when it is dark with out holding a flashlight.

How much fun it is depends really on; (Ranked by importance for me)
My attitude.
Who you are camping with.
The weather and how prepared you are for it.
The other stuff. (What tent/hammock, sleeping bag, ect) 

Your results can very.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

There is a technique to hanging the Hennessey and Warbonnet hammocks correctly.  Foot needs to be about 6 inches higher than the head, and the straps about 30 degrees from horizontal.  With the correct angle and tension, you lay at a 15 degree angle off the axis and your back will be perfectly straight.  You need tension on the wings also to keep them from wrapping over you and making you feel like a burrito.

I use the rainfly even when it is not raining, but if there is no chance of rain, I'll hang the fly as high above the hammock as I can reach to improve air flow.  I also have a USB-powered variable speed fan than runs all night off a Dewalt battery.

When it is cold, you'll need something under the hammock.  Underquilts can be as simple as a cheap sleeping bag with stretch cord to cinch it up under the hammock.  You need it on the outside so that your weight doesn't compress the blanket and obviate the insulation capacity.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

SpeedyR

I'll write more tomorrow and see if I can find some of my posts from ADV or other forums. Basically from years of camping experience and working in the outdoors, I find that you need to eat well and sleep well if you are camping. the rest of the trip can be crap but if you can eat a good warm meal, and get a good nights sleep, the rest of the trip will be fine.

It's not cheap the get into moto camping, but if the weather is decent, you can be pretty comfortable on a budget. The issue comes as you get into colder weather, and trying to make things small and light. For sure with camping gear you pay for higher quality, but you can look for good deals on used gear, closeouts, etc.

what do you ride, how do you plan to pack it (how much space do you have) and what are your expectations and budget?

Big difference if you have a gold wing and want to camp when it's warmer and dry vs. trying to fit four season gear on a KLR with a milk crate on the back for $50. :)

Chitza

Sleeping well is an absolute MUST for me, especially if I expect to get back on my bike the next day. When we planned the trip to Alaska, I spent time on YouTube looking at the Gear AT and PCT thru hikers were carrying. I ended up with a Big Agnes Q Core sleeping pad. It is 4" thick and inflated using a plastic bag. It measures about 4" diameter and 8" long when rolled up. I spent about $80(?) on it from the clearance page on REI. It's udually about $120. Shop the off season. Now is not the off season  :-\

I shopped tents the same way. Off season and clearance pages, researching what hikers were willing to carry on their backs for 2100+ miles.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Hammerdown77

Quote from: Nice Goat on February 26, 2018, 08:53:44 PMYou need tension on the wings also to keep them from wrapping over you and making you feel like a burrito.

I didn't do this. Maybe that was my problem. Still hot though. Honestly, I did the flip it over itself trick so it looked more like your typical hammock, and laid in that for a bit, and it was much better for temperature control. But then, the bugs...
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: SpeedyR on February 26, 2018, 08:54:50 PM
Big difference if you have a gold wing and want to camp when it's warmer and dry vs. trying to fit four season gear on a KLR with a milk crate on the back for $50. :)

With a Gold Wing Susan and I have a couple or 3 choices for camping. We factor in distance and duration of the trip. Among other things.

The black camper in the background is a 30ft toy hauler So the bike can go either way.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

kylepeterson

I like the cheap stretchy hammocks better than the expensive non stretching kind. Hammock Bliss (thanks Glenn!) feel like the most comfy material to me. It doesn't feel like a plastic wrapped burrito, breathes well, doesn't hold smells like camp fire or feet.

So,
warm weather- hammock +  pillow and a knitted cap to keep the body heat up.

Cold weather-  air mattress of some kind+ appropriate bag+  balaclava + knitted cap

For cold weather unzip the bag and toss it over the hammock, then zip it up again. You can push it down look a sock to get in/out to pee in the middle of the night without going insane or peeing your pants fighting with the hammock/zippers/etc

Earplugs! Because! People! Snore!

Flask
Something to make things burn
Tiny led flashlight
Knife
Food
Big ass waterproof charging brick for phones/cameras
Flip flops
Tools to fit all the fasteners on the bike
Quick clot/tampons/lortab/ibuprofen/itch b gone

The brand names and model numbers don't really mean jack, except for the bag.

I don't moto camp nearly as much as I used to, only 3-4 times a year now if I'm lucky. If I got a wild group of guys that wanted to all the time I would update my sleeping bag to one of those tiny high dollar deals that packs really small.

All this junk fits in my backpack.
just give 'er the berries !

Jwwr

I usually keep a headlamp, lighter, and a travel sized hand sanitizer on me or the bike. If you are camping or break down you can still see after dark and start a fire. The hand sanitizer is mostly alcohol and burns really well. You can also use it to clean your hands if you are short on water.

springer

Some GOOD tips on sleeping in a hammock. Yea, he is a hiker but the tips are good for us motorsickel nuts  ;) ;

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

DonJuan

Quote from: SpeedyR on February 26, 2018, 08:54:50 PM
I'll write more tomorrow and see if I can find some of my posts from ADV or other forums. Basically from years of camping experience and working in the outdoors, I find that you need to eat well and sleep well if you are camping. the rest of the trip can be crap but if you can eat a good warm meal, and get a good nights sleep, the rest of the trip will be fine.

It's not cheap the get into moto camping, but if the weather is decent, you can be pretty comfortable on a budget. The issue comes as you get into colder weather, and trying to make things small and light. For sure with camping gear you pay for higher quality, but you can look for good deals on used gear, closeouts, etc.

what do you ride, how do you plan to pack it (how much space do you have) and what are your expectations and budget?

I'm definitely the KLR and $50 vear kind of guy...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R