News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Athens Car and Bike Show Apr 28--Calling All Youth!

Started by renchinrider, March 29, 2018, 09:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

renchinrider

Hi, Everyone!

Many of us read the report posted on motorcyclealabama about the declining interest of young people in the sport of motorcycling--a sport about which we are ardently passionate.  In response, we in the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club began to explore ways in which we can draw youth into the sport, and introduce them to the pleasure and camaraderie that it offers.

We realized that fostering a passion for our sport among our youth is an important component of what we do.  Many, if not most, of us "cut our teeth" in the world of two-wheeled wonders by shining up and wrenching on our bicycles.  I was one of those kids.  At one point, I'm sure I had at least six bicycles in some state of dis/assembly, including a home-made chopper bike that had a second set of fork legs welded onto the originals, setting the front wheel about 1 1/2 feet out in front of the bike (and making it almost unrideable  ???)!

The first event in our campaign is this year's Annual "Car and Bike Show" in Athens, AL.  The show traditionally features hundreds of cars and trucks, a block full of motorcycles and a section for tractors, farm implements, etc.  This year is special, because 2018 marks the 200th anniversary of the founding of Athens.

At this year's show on April 28th, along with a number of other special attractions, we will have at least two special youth-oriented features:

First, NAVMC member Scott Grant and his daughter Skye will have Skye's Yamaha dirt bike on display.  Scott and Skye bought the bike and some spare parts at the last Barber Vintage Fest, and Scott has been recording their progress via their "Skye's Motorbike Monkeywrenching" page on Facebook ever since.  Knowing what they've done together makes this upcoming display all the more exciting!

Second, (unless anything happens otherwise), I'll have a special guest with me--13-year-old Abdiel (the son of one of my tenants) with his home-built BMX bicycle.  Abdiel is a super sharp and mature young man planning to study engineering in college, but who also has a passion for turning wrenches, sanding bicycle parts and polishing chrome.  I watched him and his dad build his bike, and it looks great!  I will be sharing my Shovel's parking space with him so that he can show his bike.

It would be a dream come true to see the MotorcycleAlabama canopy set up at the Athens show, with any number of you joining us.  Entry fee for a show bike is $20 (sorry, no discount for multiple entries) and there is a fee for each space containing a canopy/table (I'll post it once I can find it again).  There is no fee to visit the show, and it really is impressive--I never would have guessed until I particated for the first time last year.

And, if any of you know a young person like either of those I described above, please welcome them to  join us on April 28th!  Our youth represent the future of our sport, and including them in our activities at Athens will fan the flames of their enthusiasm and carry the passion we have for motorcycles (both old and new) into the future!

Really hope to see you on April 28th!

Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

springer

Quote from: renchinrider on March 29, 2018, 09:59:21 AM.  At one point, I'm sure I had at least six bicycles in some state of dis/assembly, including a home-made chopper bike that had a second set of fork legs welded onto the originals, setting the front wheel about 1 1/2 feet out in front of the bike (and making it almost unrideable  ???)!

I remember those. /\ A buddy of mine had one...3 bike frames mounted 1 on top of the other with about 4 or 5 pairs of forks jammed into each other. He lived a couple of doors down from us. We lived across from the Fairfield baseball park. He had to push it across the street then lean it against the bleachers. Then get on the top bleacher to get on the bike. He would ride it for a bit, then the long...and I do mean LOONG chain would pop off, he would jump off and the bike would fall.  ;)

It is a miracle we survived the 70's.  :D 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

renchinrider

Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!