RFP #6 - Bridges, Vistas & Pie - Sun., Nov. 8th

Started by gharshman, October 13, 2015, 10:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

RFP = "Ride for Pie"

Why?  Because pie fixes everything!

This is ride option #2 for Al's "Nowhere to Be, All Day to Get There" event (see link here).

This will be an all-street, family-friendly, obey-the-speed-limit, safety-conscious ride.  We will visit some covered bridges, some scenic views, and some curvy country roads.  No interstate. 

Ride will start at 377 County Road 1286, Vinemont, AL about 9:00am-ish.  We will leave right after the dual-sport group leaves.  Recommend you get there about 8:00am to enjoy breakfast and friendly banter.  Campers are welcome, or you can just show up Saturday morning for the ride.  Lunch will be at a reasonably-priced barbecue joint, probably in Oneonta.  I don't have the route finished yet, but we'll try to have lunch about 12:30pm, and try to be back at Al's place by 5:00pm.  If you are camping, you can expect evening festivities, bonfire, movie, etc.  It's gonna be a blast, so come join us!

P.S. - I buy the pie!

P.P.S. - Free stickers too!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

66 miles before lunch.  Stop at two bridges and Palisades Park.  About 20 minutes per stop.

https://goo.gl/maps/ETdFZtJ2wkR2

Nice Goat

77 miles after lunch.  Will include a 30-minute gas stop/rest break in Snead.

https://goo.gl/maps/uasn5B33aKS2

speedfire

Nice Goat

polarissalesman

I"m in IF I can get off..... fingers crossed ...
"keep the rubber side down"

speedfire

Argh Oh

I missed the last one but really hoping to make this, probably meeting up and departing enroute. Besides, I gotta get one of those fine stickers!

Shepcam

2013 Kawasaki Concours

jrobinson

polarissalesman

We are coming!!!! planing on bring a few friends to.....
"keep the rubber side down"

Al Goodwin

Saturday night wel'll have a Bon-fire, and a smaller fire around the (BS)pit, plenty of fun AND.........

Viewing of a true classic..... ."LITTLE FAUS and BIG HALSEY"

Little Fauss and Big Halsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Fauss_and_Big_Halsy

Nice Goat

Did the pre-ride this morning.  155 miles total, no interstate.  There is a small portion of 4-lane highway, but most of the ride is 2-lane county and local roads.  There is a nice mix of scenic vistas, valleys, rock escarpments, fall foilage, covered bridges, sweepers, switchbacks, etc.  One of my goals for this ride was to approach the covered bridges from the back side and ride through, so nobody has to turn around in the road or on the side of the road.  Using the back entrances makes for a beautiful ride, but we will have to deal with some rough pavement.  All the more reason to take it slow and easy.  After this ride, you'll have a new appreciation for the beauty of Blount County.  GPX files attached, if anybody wants to load their GPS.  Detailed track log below.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20151031123352-25040-map.html

icychaos

Sweet. Thanks for the files. I'm going to try and be there. I'll firm up later in the week. I'll be interstateing up there from Birmingham in the morning. Where would I meet you all before 9 or breakfast

Nice Goat

Quote from: icychaos on October 31, 2015, 05:05:53 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the files. I'm going to try and be there. I'll firm up later in the week. I'll be interstateing up there from Birmingham in the morning. Where would I meet you all before 9 or breakfast

Ride starts at Al's house (see the first post above).  We will leave just after the dual sport gang leaves, around 9:00-ish.

Rough schedule:

9:00-ish AM - Ride start
10:20 AM - Swann Bridge (stop 30)
11:05 AM - Easley Bridge
11:15 AM - Palisades Park (stop 30)
11:55 AM - Horton Mill Bridge
12:05 PM - Lunch & Gas (stop 90)
01:55 PM - Walker Gap
02:20 PM - Eagle Vision Cycles (stop 30)
03:00 PM - Tumlin Gap
03:30 PM - Snead Shell (stop 30)
04:30 PM - Ride End