News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Ride to Tellico Plains, Oct 23-5

Started by norton73, October 26, 2015, 06:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

As stated in an earlier thread, http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=385.0 , I went to Tellico Plains last weekend. There were no takers to ride up with me, so I winged it as I went. I left the house in Springville, and slabbed it up to Gadsden on I-59 till I got to 211 and then over to the Lookout Mtn Parkway. I decided to check out the leaves in Little River canyon, hoping it being a Friday, I'd have the road to myself. Passed a lot going the other way, but going North, I had no traffic.

After I hit 35, I decided to head over to the visitor's center to ask about river access in the WMA. I had heard there was some decent easier whitewater up there, and wanted to ask about the roads. While the ranger was nice, she mostly tried to convince me that I needed to go on one of their trips in the spring to get a feel for it. As I have plenty of whitewater experience, I don't want a guided trip, just info. She finally gave me a map and told me where they put in.

After I left, I started up 103 north, and as I passed the first dirt road, I  decided what the hell, I'll go check out the roads, and see what I can find out. I started down the road till I got to Billy's Ford. Looked at it, and decided even by myself, with a 500+ lb bike and camping gear for the weekend, I'd give it a shot.

Made it!

Loose nut holding the handlebars

norton73

After I got to the other side, I took a side road to High Rock, an overlook by the river;

Then I returned to the main road, looking for Hartline Ford.

It was a little deeper, and wider than Billy's Ford, and started with a 18" drop off, but I gave it a go.

Made it over up right and dry;

Then I rode back out to 103,

norton73

103 was scenic;

Rode it till I got into Menlo GA, where I went west on 48 for a couple miles and stopped for lunch at a little store;

About all I can say about it was it was definitely a $3.50 hamburger.

I looked at the map while there and headed east on 48 and picked up 337 north.

Then 136 east to 382 into Ellijay. Traffic in Ellijay was horrible, I got on 515 as fast as possible, then at Blue Ridge continued north on 5 to the GA/TN line where it became 68 and 68 all the way into Tellico Plains and the Cherahola Mtn Campground for cold beers and tall tale telling around the campfire.

norton73

My friend Rundell had left after work on Friday, so he trailered his F650GS up. The next morning we rode into town for breakfast on the town square. The place was packed, and while it took a while the food was good.

Then we returned and got the bikes and headed out. First stop was Conasauga Falls. We got to the trailhead and after talking to a woman there, decided to do the 1 1/4 mile hike in. In riding boots and jackets. After all it was all down hill,

Then it was back uphill...

I wearing wearing new boots, there were starting to break in as we finished hiking.

Then we hit Witt(?) road, 4 creek crossings, each one deeper and harder than the last.

At the last one, I went first so Rundell could film me with his Go Pro. When I got almost to the end, my carbs were under water, steam was everywhere, and then my front wheel hit a rock and over I went. I tried to hit the kill switch, but it was already under water, as was the entire right side of the bike. Once I got it upright, I figured there was no way it gonna start and we were looking at pushing 500 lbs of soggy german metal up the bank. But, amazingly, it fired right up and I rode it out!

Then it was Rundell's turn. He waited till the water cleared and went;

He is about at the location I went down, but he got through with minimal wetness.

norton73

Having survived that, we decided to hit FS Trail 82.

note the broken mirror, the only victim of my fall in the creek  :)

Rundell checking my map. The trail gets kinda narrow in places, especially if you are riding a flat twin.

Then up to Buck Bald;

From there we rode over to the Apalachia Dam where the Hiawassee river is diverted into a pipe for power generation;

Someone later told me that is not a leak, it has always been that way. Dunno?

Rundell testing the waters;

norton73

From the dam, we blasted up 68 to the Tellicafe for baked stuffed trout and then across the street for beer, then back to camp for more story telling around the fire.

I talked to a couple people about possible routes home, and in the morning, after looking at a map I formulated a plan.

I headed south on 315 to Relience, where I got gas and then to 64 where I went east till I got to Thunder Rock Campground where I crossed the Ocoee river and headed south on FS road 221 Peavine Rd.

Rode some interesting side roads and basicly screwed around lost on the edges of the Big Frog wilderness area for a few hours till I finally found myself on 411 just north of Chatsworth GA.

norton73

Headed south on 411 till I got to 136 again, where I headed west till I picked up 337 south. On 337 I got stuck behind some slow moving traffic, so ducked onto Shinbone Valley Road down to 48.

Then I picked up 103 again, but as it was Sunday, I decided LRC would be crowded with leaf peepers, so took 273 to Leesburg, where I picked up 411 and then slabbed it home on I-59 to cold margaritas on the deck in the last remaining rays of sun  :)

KrisCook

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

lazeebum

Love it! Just ride. Great ride report.

norton73

kdtrull

Way to go, man....just take off, adjust on-the-fly, and build a grand adventure along the way.
I likes it!

Gam

Great report, those parallel ledges in the creeks on Witt Rd. can getcha when the water is cloudy.

Jwwr

griff

Thanks for sharing. Whitt Rd. can be tricky. The LRC backcountry area is almost hidden but it's a pretty cool little area. Give me a shout if you want a trail map.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs