Dual Sport ride to Tellico/Suches area, Nov. 3rd - 6th

Started by KevinB, October 29, 2015, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

KevinB

I was supposed to head up Sunday to meet a group and ride some dual sport for a couple of days, but forecast looks nasty...so I'm delaying a couple of days and going solo.

Leaving out Tuesday morning and heading back on Thursday or Friday. 

Looking to hit some dirt roads in the area and do some mild dual sporting. I'll be on the Husky pig,  so nothing too gnarly. Anyone is welcome to tag along.

Weather looks to be about perfect for those days...sunny with highs @70, lows @50.

No definite plans yet as to accommodations...may do the bunkroom at Copperhead Lodge in Blairsville, a cabin at TW Suches, Microtel in Robbinsville,  etc.

jrou111

:-\

PM sent.

If this was on a weekend I'd join you. Oh well I think what I sent you is perfect for what you're looking to do.

Ryanbroome

We rode jeeps up the for a long time. Since the trails have been closed off I haven't been back. What do you go up to ride? I'm assuming all the trails are still closed

KevinB

Contacted Two Wheels Inn in Robbinsville. They are closing on Sunday for the season (as are most of the smaller inns,  according to them) due to the weather. Said they open in March "when weather permits for the bikers". I guess the "cold" weather  up there next week (sunny and 70) will have run off all the "bikers"...

KevinB

Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 30, 2015, 10:34:53 PM
What do you go up to ride?

I've never been up there to ride dirt, so no idea right now. Trying to piece together some FS roads/dirt roads from various ADV, etc. ride reports.

Buzz

Dude just get a full tank of gas, then turn left or right off the skyway. It's all good.

If you take the river road (first right from tellico) You will hit the river road. I lost my tracks but there is a really cool bald mountain top.

Dropped Pin

https://goo.gl/maps/zUjz6mmgYrH2

KevinB

Has anyone done Charlies Creek Rd. near Hiawassee, GA? I've read reviews ranging from "it's easy" to "abandon hope all ye who enter!".

SpeedyR

I"ve ridden it quite a few times on my 950. You'll be on the 650 terra? shouldn't be too bad as long as it's not raining, there's a big creek/river crossing (tallulah river) that can get fast pretty quickly but it goes down just as quickly...

if you give me an idea of where you'll be hitting GA and where you want to leave GA, I might be able to point you in the right direction and some fun stuff. I know at least a few more "challenging" sections, and lots of dirt roads from Clayton to Suches and west.

wish I had time to ride with ya, but work calls..

Jeff

the first 2:30 of this video is Charlie Creek/Hightower road, probably 2 years ago. It's gotten worse but it's not bad at all... but I guess it depends upon what you're used to riding..

KevinB

Quote from: SpeedyR on October 31, 2015, 10:12:41 PM

if you give me an idea of where you'll be hitting GA and where you want to leave GA, I might be able to point you in the right direction and some fun stuff. I know at least a few more "challenging" sections, and lots of dirt roads from Clayton to Suches and west.

the first 2:30 of this video is Charlie Creek/Hightower road, probably 2 years ago. It's gotten worse but it's not bad at all... but I guess it depends upon what you're used to riding..

I'll be riding down from Robbinsville on Thursday, then heading back that afternoon. Planned on doing Charlies Creek, Tallulah River Rd, etc. and wind my way back north to 64.

So far, the worst terrain I've had the Terra has been the blue/yellow trails at Kentuck.

SpeedyR

if you are coming south on 441 when you get to Dillard look for Betty's creek on your right. take that to Patterson Gap, down to Persimmon, to Tallulah River to Charlies Creek, Upper Hightower, etc. That's a pretty fun loop with a mix of scenery, dirt roads, pavement in the country and a few sections of tougher stuff like the video.

have a good ride, a buddy that lives off Persimmon had a 650 Terra for a while, if you have any questions about the area or the bike, check with DirtDabber on ADV. tell him Jeff referred ya..

KevinB

Quote from: SpeedyR on November 02, 2015, 10:39:30 AM
if you are coming south on 441 when you get to Dillard look for Betty's creek on your right. take that to Patterson Gap, down to Persimmon, to Tallulah River to Charlies Creek, Upper Hightower, etc. That's a pretty fun loop with a mix of scenery, dirt roads, pavement in the country and a few sections of tougher stuff like the video.

I made up almost the exact same route last night, but I'll be going the opposite direction. Planning on tarmac'ing it down through Andrews to Hiawassee, then doing the above loop back up to Pickens Nose.

SpeedyR

it's better in the direction you are going to be headed IMHO. that's the way I run it usually and end up over on the far side of Clayton (warwoman road and 28 intersection, lots of good FS roads around there- Hale Ridge Road, etc).

have a good trip!

Yankee Dog

If you end up in Tellico stay here.   I have never stayed there but I am curious to know what it is like

http://www.tellicofarmhouseinn.com/

it looks good and the owner is a dualsport rider.  The web site has some links to some area riding.