News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

10,000 MILES

Started by gene46, October 30, 2015, 01:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gene46

I am not sure if this is a real ride report or just a chance to brag on myself. It isn't anything special to most of you, but it is to me. I started riding 2 years ago at the age of 51. I wanted to save gas money. My goal was (I was told it was lofty) to ride 10,000 miles per year. I started with a Chinese 150 CC scooter. I moved to larger and faster scooters. When I realized I was bitten by the riding bug, I bought a 600 cc Honda Shadow. May 13, 2015 I bought my first new bike, a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with 1.9 miles on her. Now it is 5 1/2 months later and my odometer is over 10,000 miles! I could never imagine I would enjoy riding so much that it would become my primary transportation, hobby and lifestyle. It has transformed my wardrobe (for safety, not style as much), where I give most of my volunteer for causes time and some of my financial giving.
I have loved the past 2 years and especially this past summer. I know my riding will be slowed some through the winter but I am looking forward to seeing my total miles on May 13, 2016!

springer

Kicking buttocks you are!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

lazeebum

That's what motorcycles are made for. When someone asks me why I ride, I just say,"cause I can".  That 750 Shadow will take you a long way.

jrobinson

Every ride is epic! Ride Reports are for anytime you ride.

I don't think there's many of us that actually "save gas" by riding a motorcycle.  :)

gene46

I wanted to save fuel costs because I wanted to go from my 4 cyl Nissan (24.6 MPG) to a full size truck (approx 18 MPG) and I drive 25,000 + miles per year. My Spirit gets 56+ MPG with comparable maintenance and tires to a truck. It does save more than enough to cover insurance costs and so forth. I still haven't gotten the full size truck, there isn't much use in it since I rarely drive now!

bblass

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

SlowRoad

I kept thinking that riding would save me gas, but it seems that my route to work gets longer when I ride the bike!!   ;D

RubyRider

;)   you've past the point of no return..........

There is no option of going back now. Motorcycling is in your blood.

You sir, Are A "Biker" now.

Very nice report, I can sense your excitement of riding.
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

Chuck A.

Man, that's racking up the miles. I'm thinking you've joined the Iron Ass club. :o ;D ;)
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

gene46

Thank you folks. Yes, I am bitten. My employees look at my feet in the mornings to determine my mood. Dress shoes, bad day. Boots, good day!

jrobinson

Put out a jar for moto gas money donations. The more they give, the better your mood.  :)

SpeedyR

Quote from: SlowRoad on October 30, 2015, 05:34:22 PM
I kept thinking that riding would save me gas, but it seems that my route to work gets longer when I ride the bike!!   ;D

its like reloading ammunition for shooting. you don't save any money, but you get to shoot a lot more!! :)

congrats on the riding. I know I used to put 20k+ miles a year on my sport bikes back when I first started riding (around 1998) and was always amazed at how fast the miles accumulate. We spent a lot of weekends in north GA riding 400+ mile days on our bikes (hawks and R6's). good stuff...

maydaymike

Congrats on your milestone!  Now you need to work towards the next big one.  This is my 2010 Triumph Bonneville. 
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

merc16

I for one appreciate you sharing this gene. It's a great motivation example !
Justin