News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

EPIC trip planning

Started by Chitza, November 17, 2015, 02:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankee Dog

Depends on state law.  But I believe if you put the gun in one bag, ammo in another and lock them both you would be legal most every where.

Don't even think about it if you are going to Canada or Mexico however. 

Al Goodwin

EXCELLENT thread.

There's a few of us planning a trip up into Alaska next year, leaving out July 9th... Planning on 28 days.

Melony and I will be 2-up, so packing as light as possible will be at the TOP of my list.

springer

Quote from: Chitza on November 19, 2015, 03:18:57 PM
Let's discuss the conceal carry thing. I know that Alabama has reciprocity with some other states. I am unfamiliar with how to handle this in states without reciprocity. (Now I do know what they don't know blah blah blah). But what is the actual legal way to handle this?
Do you have a Concealed Carry Permit for Alabama? If so, go here;
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

and click on the State of Alabama to see the states that will allow you to carry a pistol or revolver in their state using an Alabama permit.

It is a reciprocity map of the U.S. Since you have to ride through Canada to get to Alaska, you are out of luck there.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Or you can take a ferry from WA.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Yankee Dog

Quote from: gharshman on November 22, 2015, 08:40:06 PM
Or you can take a ferry from WA.

Not as clear cut as you may think. Washington does not have agreements with Alabama. And you get on the ferry there. When we got on the ferry from Michigan to Wisconsin they had a guard and a sniffer dog checking for weapons. 

scrappyjon

Karla, I think you should forget the pistol and take a set of these bad boys.

Or a few of these.

And maybe make a holster for one of these to leave on your tank.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Yankee Dog on November 22, 2015, 09:10:58 PM
Not as clear cut as you may think. Washington does not have agreements with Alabama. And you get on the ferry there. When we got on the ferry from Michigan to Wisconsin they had a guard and a sniffer dog checking for weapons.

Revised Code of Washington (RCW) allows transport of unloaded firearms.  RCW 9.41.060, para. (9)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

Ferry system follows Revised Code of Washington (RCW) for carrying firearms.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/infodesk/faq/security/

Not sure what the requirements are in WI or MI, but I don't think any states prohibit transporting a firearm if the firearm is unloaded and locked away, and inaccessible to the occupants.  Some states have higher requirements, like "container designed for storing firearms" and "ammunition in seperate container", etc.  You just have to find out what the requirements are, but as long as you are not a felon, mentally unfit, or an adjudicated wife-beater, the states cannot prevent lawful unloaded transport, only concealed carry.

Best bet is to get a lock box/bag designed for storing firearms and carry the firearm unloaded in that locked bag when in a state that does not respect Alabama's permit.  Put ammo in a seperate bag, and make them as inaccessible to yourself as possible.

Or, only do that when you are about to ride a ferry...
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

JBMFT

Since you are a list maker, I've been using this one for years. I think I've posted it before.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Chitza

Thanks, JT! I've been looking for that. I thought I saved it when you posted it last.
*deep sigh of relief*
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Chitza

I'm GPS shopping for this trip. I really like Garmin over the other brands. I need screen size that I can see. I want Bluetooth (to use with my Sena headset).

I will need maps of US(obviously) and Canada. How important is access to Lifetime maps? And traffic info? It would be nice to have the SD card for music storage(one less thing to pack/charge).

What do you use/like/recommend?
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Zeus

Pair iPhone to Zumo and Zumo to Sena.
Sound quality sucks once converted to the file format to go on the SD card.
Zumo has the best routing tools of all the GPS's I have or have had.
Any specific questions and I may be able to answer.

Yankee Dog

My maps are several years old.  I have not found it to be a problem.  Roads don't change all that much. As for traffic, only useful in the big cities during rush hour. 

Can't help with the the Bluetooth and music part.  Not on my list of features.

KevinB

I bought a 660LM about 6 months ago (for @$370, and that was  good deal then), and really like it. It has proven waterproof, and has survived a fall/slide on pavement at 60mph. I'm having issues with my phone syncing with it, but otherwise no problems...works great with my Sena.

I like the lifetime maps not so much for road updates, but gas/food/etc. location updates.

mojo1

I bought a tom tom rider 5. I like it ok. It is supposed to connect to most headsets except the cardo scala g9x that I have. Didnt figure that out until after I got it. I have enough voices in my head any way  ;D
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Zeus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk