Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

My 1st SaddleSore 1000

Started by gharshman, November 21, 2015, 01:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

Good stuff GlenN. Congrats buddy.

Your comments and summary are spot on.

I am glad I did one and got all the bragging rights stuff. (License plate frame and certificate + a sticker)

My SS1000 was a great one, with lots of stories.... a few snow flurries before daybreak as we left Knoxville, one guy filling his bike with diesel by mistake in Georgia with a full recovery by the team effort, one rider on a Yamaha R6, and 100 miles of me freezing my butt off on the Cumberland Plateau heading to Knoxville as the clock approached 1:00 am (seriously, shaking all over and yelling in my helmet).

We did: Knoxville - Charlotte - Atlanta - Bham - Tupelo - East Memphis - Nashville - Knoxville.

1024 miles in about 21.5 hours

I'd kinda like to do another.....

KevinB

I think doing it solo adds a degree of difficulty...awesome job G-man!

TFancher

Great job on the ride and the write up. I'm with Brian...thinking about another one.
Mine was  1069 miles in 17 hours from Tucumcari NM to Tuscaloosa.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

maydaymike

After I got the packet from my SS1000 in April 2014, I went on to the IBA store and ordered another of the standard "worlds toughest riders" plate frames for my other bike.  Imagine my surprise when this came out of the envelope!  I e-mailed customer service for the IBA store, and Mike Kneebone himself answered.  I told him what happened, and he got the right one sent out to me.  He said not to bother returning this one, to either destroy it or hang it on the wall for inspiration.  I'm honored to own one, as there are only about 300 of these out in the wild.  I may attempt a 50CC or a 100CCC someday, maybe even on the Bonneville.  (For those that don't know, a 50CC is coast to coast in under 50 hours. Most riders take the shortest route across I-10 from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, about 2400 miles. A 100 CCC is, you guessed it, coast to coast to coast in under 100 hours.  The IBA has certified about 300 100CCC rides.  For the truely hardcore, 3 people have actually completed a 200CCCC.  Jax-SD-Jax-SD, 9600 odd miles in 200 hours.)

2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

klaviator

Congrats!  Great write up. 

BTW, I just completed over 1000 miles myself...............in about 3 weeks ;D

maydaymike

Quote from: TFancher on November 21, 2015, 08:51:28 PM
Great job on the ride and the write up. I'm with Brian...thinking about another one.

I'm also planning to do some more Iron Butt rides in the future.  For 2016 I'm thinking about a BBG1500 (1500mi in 24 h), and maybe an in-state SS1000 using no interstate highways.
IBA#58185

Nice Goat

I'll probably do another next year, maybe blast down to Key West in the spring...
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Quote from: TFancher on November 21, 2015, 08:51:28 PM
Mine was  1069 miles in 17 hours from Tucumcari NM to Tuscaloosa.

... and on a brand-new Connie.  You missed the break-in oil change by 469 miles!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Brian A

Quote from: gharshman on November 21, 2015, 10:43:23 PM
I'll probably do another next year, maybe blast down to Key West in the spring...

uhhhh, when the time gets closer, gimme a call, because......

maydaymike

Quote from: gharshman on November 21, 2015, 10:43:23 PM

Hmmm...
IBA#58185

norton73

Good Job and write up.

Some time I'll have to write up my attempt to become the first person to do a SS1000 on a Norton  :'(
Loose nut holding the handlebars

KevinB

So I'm minding my own business, and see this sketchy lookin' dude ride past...

I pull him over...bike looks kinda weird. Versys?! What the Hell does that even mean?! 'Zat some kinda pinko Commie fag motorcycle?

I asked the little guy...kinda funny lookin', with bolts for eyebrows..."Show me where the bad man on the motorcycle touched you...". But he was too afraid to say anything...happens all the time with sexual/domestic abuse. Weirdo on the motorcycle even called him "Nutsy". I guess that answers the question of where he touches him.

You just earned yourself a free beatdown Mr. Easy Rider...

IceCold4x4

congrats. been thinking of doing one of these. down to key west and back would be fun. . .

Moto Guzzi

Excellent write up Glen.  Completing one is very satisfying for sure.  I did my first (and only so far) SS1000 a few years ago, 1071 miles/22.5 hrs on my DR650.  I've been wanting to do another for some time.  I have a few routes mapped out for a BB1500.  I'd be up for for another SS1000 too.  I'm interested in one in the Spring if you give it a go.

wweaver11

Great write up
I have been toying with the idea of doing an Iron Butt for years but just don't have the right setup just yet.    Sadly the seat on the ST1100, which is a corbin, needs to be redone.   And I have reservations on doing one on the VTX1800 due to the low mpg it gets.    Sadly I think I will always just dream about doing one.