News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

My 1st SaddleSore 1000

Started by gharshman, November 21, 2015, 01:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

For almost two years, I have wanted to join this club of elite, long-distance riders -- The "Iron Butt" Assocation (IBA).  Some may scoff at the notion of riding just for miles and bragging rights, but if you stop to think about it, riding a motorcycle requires a lot of attention and focus.  It is a risky activity, performed on the streets among the (oftentimes) less attentive.  Riding 1000 miles in 24 hours proves that you have the endurance, stamina, and mental self-control to survive and push yourself a little harder than the average rider.  It says that you have pushed your limits and come out stronger for it.  At least, that's what it means to me.

I didn't do a lot of preparation.  My tires and my oil are both due to be changed soon, so I wanted the ride to be an out-and-back, where I start and end near home.  I planned several routes in the days prior, and I made sure that I was eating healthy, drinking enough water, and getting enough sleep.  Watched for a break in the weather and a break in the suffering at work, put in for a few days vacation, and packed my bags.  Wasn't planning to sleep anywhere, but I packed my camping gear anyway, just in case.

The path that I took:  Google Maps link

Note:  The new Google Maps API limits the number of waypoints you can have, so the overall route link above includes major stops, but cannot include all of the details of the individual turns that I took.  It has most of them, but it is short seven miles from actual.  I've included routes below for each segment --- those are more detailed and more accurate.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

The Start

I woke up about 3:30AM without an alarm.  I was alert and ready to go.  I had already prepared coffee the night before and staged it in the fridge (I like cold coffee).  Bike was already loaded, clothes and gear were staged.  All I had to do was shower, drink my cold coffee, and hit the road.  The wife was not happy about getting up this early, but she was my witness, and she performed her duty.

The official starting place was the Love's Truck Stop in Falkville, Alabama.  It's only a few miles from the house, and I had already tested one of the gas pumps to make sure the receipt was legible and that the date/time/location was printed on the receipt and correct.  My test pump was #16, and it was perfect.  I arrived at the Love's about 4:15, but I had to adjust my gear and re-route my battery tender pigtail for my heated gloves.  That meant removing the duffle bag and straps, etc., so I could remove the seat.  Ugh.  Anyway, it didn't take that long, and when everything was situated to my satisfaction, I finally started the pump and collected my receipt.

Official start data:

jrobinson

Was this your first choice for a route, or did you decide when you started?

What was the easiest and hardest part of the trip?

What in the hell were you thinking making a lap around crazy town?? lol

Nice Goat

Falkville, Alabama to Athens, Tennessee

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/1wm2jSTbdpF2

Segment: 192 miles
Completed: 192 miles

Officially got on the road at 4:48AM per gas receipt #1.  It was just above 40 degrees and extremely foggy for the first 1-1/2 hours, until just before Chattanooga.  I was a little worried about morning rush hour traffic in Chattanooga, but it turned out to not be bad at all.  No accidents, not really any slow downs.  I was doing a comfortable pace, and the bike was getting good mileage, so I pushed on through Chattanooga to Athens/Decatur.  Stopped for gas at Shell Rocky Top Market, which had a Dunkin' Donuts attached to it.  I had completed 192 miles, and I was ready for a little breakfast and warmth.  Broke out a pack of toe warmers.  I asked for decaf coffee, but they only had 1/2 cup remaining, so I told her to make it a 50/50.  The veggie egg-white wrap was okay, but the strawberry doughnut was amazing!

Nice Goat

Athens, Tennessee to Greeneville, Tennessee

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/xH7qR2DcymS2

Segment: 129 miles
Completed: 321 miles

I continued on across I-40 East through Knoxville and on up to US-11E, then over to Greeneville, Tennessee.  The reason I chose Greeneville was to participate in USA Tag o' Rama game on the ADVRider forum.  The game mascot, "Nutsy", was hidden in a tree behind President Andrew Johnson's home, which is now a National Historic Landmark.  Nutsy was hiding in the split of the tree for over two months, and he was covered in dirt, leaves, and slugs, but thankfully no spiders.  I almost didn't find him, he was buried so deep.  But he was happy to be liberated and back on the road.  He is not allowed (actually court forbidden) to travel by any means other than motorcycle, so he had to wait for an adventurous soul on two wheels to come rescue him.

After getting the tag, I wandered around Greeneville a bit looking for a modern-looking gas station with pay-at-the-pump.  Finally found a Phillips 66 Lee's Food Mart, got my gas, and hit the road back toward Knoxville.

Nice Goat

Greeneville, Tennessee to Robbinsville, North Carolina

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/sjvFtiTFmqk

Segment: 140 miles
Completed: 461 miles

Got off I-40 at Marysville, US-129, and followed it "straight" (ha!) into Robbinsville, North Carolina.  Most of you all know US-129 as "The Dragon", a really fun road that is often overrun with morons in the summer months.  Well, let me tell you this.  On November 19th, after all of the stores and resorts are closed for the season, and the temperature is about 68 degrees, and the sun is shining --- it is a tremendously fun and sublime ride.  Got stuck behind a mini-van from Florida for a bit, until they decided to pull off and let me pass.  Down the road a bit, I stopped for a photograph of Nutsy on The Dragon.  I was planning to go all the way into Robbinsville to the Exxon across from the Microtel Inn, but Skyway Food Mart was open and looked inviting, and it was right at the corner with 143 leading to the Cherohala Skyway, so I stopped there instead.

At this point, I realized that I was now having fun, instead of droning down the interstate, but my average trip speed was falling like crazy.  I had been averaging about 60-65 mph until Maryville, and now my average was almost 54 mph.  I had been on the road for almost nine hours, and I had only completed 461 miles.  I felt like I had made a mistake running The Dragon, but it was too late now.

Nice Goat

Robbinsville, North Carolina to Cleveland, Tennessee

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/2JsA4GP41zM2

Segment: 101 miles
Completed: 562 miles

I rode the entire 51 miles from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains without seeing a single motorcycle.  I only saw three cars, and four state DOT trucks removing debris.  The line of storms that had passed through the day before had downed trees, but all of the roads were open by the time I came through.  But it was surreal enjoying that beautiful road, on a beautiful, sunny fall day, practically all by myself.  Stopped for a couple of photos, then passed right through Tellico with stopping.  Highway 39 from Tellico to Etowah was slow --- I had found the traffic again.  It was slow going all the way to Cleveland.  Finally made it to the Pilot Truck Stop at the entrance to I-40.  I was now at 562 miles, and I had been riding for 10-1/2 hours.  Again, not happy about the average speed, but I had enjoyed two great roads with very little traffic.  I was ready for some food, so I grabbed some protein, a coffee drink, and a candy bar.  Next stop .... Atlanta?!  :o

Nice Goat

Cleveland, Tennessee to Atlanta, Georgia

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/aX5iYANyaKC2

Segment: 163 miles
Completed: 725 miles

Above, Johnny asked why I chose crazy town.  I assume he means Atlanta!  My route called for me to truck it west across Tennessee to Memphis, and then down to Birmingham via US-72.  I don't know ... for some reason, I really did not want to go to Memphis.  I was thinking of all the trucks.  Memphis is a hub for lots of trucking companies, and I didn't feel like dealing with it that night.  So I changed my plan to go down to Atlanta.  Problem was that I still needed a lot of miles, so Ewan and Charlie popped into my head.  After I stopped laughing, the phrase "Long Way Around" kept nagging at me.  Then I realized that the purpose of this ride was to push myself and stretch my limits.  I have ridden in large cities before, but the level of driver craziness in Atlanta is off the charts.  What better way to push myself to the limit, than to dive headlong into crazy town.

Now is a good time to point out that I was using my trail GPS to record my track.  It had been dutifully laying breadcrumbs for about 14 hours when the batteries died.  I was too busy running Atlanta's rush hour, a.k.a. "Death Race 2000", to notice.  At least it shows that I started around the long way.  When I stopped for gas in southwest Atlanta, at Camp Creek Exxon, I was too busy watching the people watching me to notice the GPS was dead.  Didn't figure it out until later after crossing the Alabama line.  All I knew is that I still had 275 miles to go.  I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Nice Goat

Atlanta, Georgia to Moody, Alabama

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/Yw7zrhUj1KD2

Segment: 130 miles
Completed: 855 miles

Going around Atlanta, there were long periods of stop-and-go followed by spurts of interstate speeds.  But overall, my average speed had dropped again.  I was now averaging 48 mph for the whole trip, and there was nothing I could do to improve it.  I was in too deep.  It was going to take 21 hours to finish this thing.  Once I realized that and accepted it, the ride became more relaxing.  I was back in "the zone", or what psychologists call "flow".  I was concentrated and alert, but it was enjoyable and relaxing also.

I was getting cold again, so I stopped at the Starbucks in Oxford, Alabama.  Some inattentive momma managing three children almost hit me with her car... why do people think that they can share your parking space since you are on a motorcycle and not using the whole space?  It's my space!  Bugger off!  Or at least say, "Sorry!"  Anyway, Nutsy enjoyed his double-tall foo-foo latte in the controversial red cup.

After warming up, changing the batteries in my GPS, putting my liners back on, and plugging in my heated gloves, all was well, and I made it to Moody Marathon gas station with ease.  I had completed 855 miles.  About this time, Kevin texted me to ask how it was going and was I coming in on I-20.  I smelled an ambush...

Nice Goat

Moody, Alabama to Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/uoy7TPEAkR32

Segment: 72 miles
Completed: 927 miles

Sure enough, right after passing Old Irondale Road, I was lit up with blue lights.  I took the next exit ramp so we would be a little safer and not be targets on the side of the interstate.  Everybody wants to pretend to be a badass, so I took a couple of pics of my bike with the blue lights.  Then I noticed Kevin was taking pictures also, and I dropped to my hands and knees, just for giggles.  It was all in good fun, and there was almost no traffic, so we weren't causing a disturbance.  We stood around chatting for about 20 minutes, then he had to get back to work, and I still had 140 miles or so to ride.  Made it to McFarland Chevron in T-town just before midnight.  I had completed 927 miles, and it was time to turn around and head back home.

Nice Goat

Tuscaloosa, Alabama to Falkville, Alabama

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/4c3KiWUVtAB2

Segment: 114 miles
Completed: 1,041 miles

Finally made it back to Falkville at 1:54AM.  Total distance 1,052 by odometer, 1,041 by Google Maps.  My odometer is only off by 1.06%.  Elapsed time was 21 hours and six minutes.  Not bad for a first attempt!  Used the same gas pump, #16, because I knew that it made good receipts and the date/time were correct.  Got home about 10 minutes later, after going through some really dense fog, and had a late night snack before crashing on the sofa.  Haven't slept that good in a while.  Next day, I started working on the application to get my Iron Butt certificate and license plate holder.  Nutsy wanted to help!

Nice Goat

Quote from: jrobinson on November 21, 2015, 01:28:36 PM
Was this your first choice for a route, or did you decide when you started?

What was the easiest and hardest part of the trip?

What in the hell were you thinking making a lap around crazy town?? lol

No, my first choice was to ride to Key West, but there was a lot of rain forecasted for Florida on Thursday.  I also had routes plotted for Texas and New Orleans, but it was all for naught.  Once I got up to Tennessee and North Carolina, there was no way that I was not going to pass through The Dragon and the Cherohala.  I'm glad that I did, even if it added a couple of hours to my day.

The easiest part of the trip was planning it, packing, getting the bike ready, and getting started on the ride.  Also, the curvy bits in Tennessee and North Carolina made it all worthwhile.

The hardest part is getting in "the zone", where you are focused, alert, and aware of your surroundings, but also enjoying the ride and not thinking about the distances.  You have to stay focused to stay safe, and staying focused for 21 hours is hard, unless you are relaxed and on your game.  It gets harder the longer you are in the saddle.  It is important to take breaks frequently, but not for too long.  I saved time on the data collection by using the iPhone to record the odometer and GPS locations of the stops.  Made it easier to go back and fill out the paperwork later, instead of spending time on it during the ride.  My breaks were focused on relaxing, not filling out paperwork.

Crazy town was chosen just to stretch myself.  Atlanta drivers are some of the most aggressive in the South.  I knew that it would require all of my patience and judgment to survive a lap around I-285 during evening rush hour.

Nice Goat

That's it.  I've finished all of the documentation.  All that is left is to submit the application.  It's not for everybody, but if you decide to go for it, feel free to ask me any questions.

All of the forms and requirements can be found on the IBA's website: http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

Hope you enjoyed it!

maydaymike

Congratulations, Glenn!  That plate frame will look good on your bike. 
2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

terryrussell1

Great job Glenn on the trip and the write up. We'll done