Planes and Prison Ride - Sat./Sun. Jan 2nd and 3rd, 2016

Started by KevinB, December 13, 2015, 10:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Shepcam

Quote from: KevinB on December 29, 2015, 10:11:13 PM
The forecasted high has risen to @ 56 for both days, partly cloudy, with rain chances 10% on Saturday and 20% on Sunday.  :)

Hope to get my fetser valve fixed and bring my 10 weight ball bearings! 8)
2013 Kawasaki Concours

KevinB

Afterwards, you need to get it up to 95...to check the fluorocarbon output.

KevinB

Just found out that the Race City gas station in Lincoln is now a Petro/TA station. Not sure what signage may be up,  but to avoid confusion it's the last station on the left before you go over the hill to Speedway Blvd.,  on the south side of McDonald's. If you've been through there during a Talladega race,  it's the gas station with the vendor "tent city" in the parking lot.

Nice Goat

Bike and gear are prepped.  All I have to do is pack a little overnight bag.  I'm looking forward to this ride!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Postmaster

Chuck A.

Quote from: gharshman on December 31, 2015, 06:34:09 PM
Bike and gear are prepped.  All I have to do is pack a little overnight bag.  I'm looking forward to this ride!

Better pack some heated underwear cause it's freaking cold this morning. :o
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

KevinB

I updated the original thread...eliminated the first rally point in Fultondale. I'll be at the McDonald's in Lincoln on Hwy 77 (next to the gas station meeting point) @ 7:30a for breakfast.

TechnoTherapist

I'm fueled up and packed.  Will just have to gear up and throw the saddle bags on the trike in the morning.

Cy

Nice Goat

It was 28 degrees when I left the house this morning.  Thank goodness for heated gear.  337 miles today.  Andersonville National POW Museum and Historic Site were awesome.

TechnoTherapist

Those of you who didn't attend... I won't torture you by saying how awesome this trip was... I'll just sit back and enjoy the schadenfreude.

Cy

Nice Goat

KevinB

Not an official ride report, more of a pictorial recap. I won't attempt to duplicate any of Glenn's excellent shots, just add a few others that I snapped.

It was 29 degrees when I left the house. First stop was to meet Glenn, then we headed to Lincoln to meet the rest of the travel crew, which turned out to be Pat and a new BR member (and Spyder pilot), Cy.

Over the last two days, the front of the Spyder reminded me of something but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I saw the pic above, and it hit me...

We had an uneventful trip to Andersonville, and stopped in the downtown "village" to grab a bite at the only restaurant in town.

The bacon-cheeseburger was awesome...mostly. Took a bite, and felt an...object. Luckily I didn't bite down and crack a tooth. Fished it out, and...WTF?

"Uh, ma'am...there's a screw in my burger."

The cook immediately replies, "I've been looking for that...". Said it fell out of her hamburger press and she couldn't find it. I guess checking the hamburgers you just pressed wasn't on her "In Case Of Parts Loss" checklist. I didn't let it stop me from finishing the burger, though...it was that good.

Finished the day off with some cervezas, good Mexican food, and a live-action game of Frogger.

Day two..

Staring at the face of Freedom...

And the ass end...

There's a full-size C130 that can be toured, by appointment...

We didn't have an appointment, and our chant had no effect...

Need to fix up that old Phantom that's been sitting in the yard?

Even a Navy guy likes big planes.

Guidedawg

Great pics.  I've toured Andersonville and the POW museum twice now and it is a very sobering experience.  Nice to see y'all braved the cold and had a great ride.

Nice Goat

I had a great time.  Good laughs, great history, awesome riding experience.

Brian A

I have not seen one in any of the pics so I will ask: Do that have a B-58 Hustler in the display mix?

edit: just went to the website and looked through the list of aircraft on display.  No B-58.   :-\