Planes and Prison Ride - Sat./Sun. Jan 2nd and 3rd, 2016

Started by KevinB, December 13, 2015, 10:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

KevinB

Or maybe the "Aviation and Incarceration Ride"?

I'll be leading a ride to Georgia to check out Andersonville Prison and the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB on Jan. 2/3 2016.

Saturday we'll ride to Andersonville, check out the Civil War POW camp, then find a reasonably priced hotel for the evening in Warner Robins. Sunday we'll tour the Museum of Aviation, then head toward home.

I've never been to Andersonville (other than driving through), and it's been @20 years since I've been to the MoA.

Andersonville:
http://www.nps.gov/ande/index.htm

Robins AFB Museum of Aviation:
http://www.museumofaviation.org/

When:

Leave Saturday morning, Jan. 2nd and return Sunday evening, Jan. 3rd 2016

Meet:

Rally point: Race City Travel Center (aka: Petro/Travel Center of America), 75246 AL Hwy 77 in Lincoln (I-20/AL77, exit 168). KSU @ 8:30am

I'll be at the McDonald's next door @ 7:30am for breakfast.

Saturday - Route from Lincoln (@4.5 hours)...

South in AL77 through Talladega, Ashland, Wadley to Lafayette.
South on US431 to Opelika
East on US280 through Columbus to Cusseta/GA26
East on GA26 through Buena Vista to Ellaville, GA
East on GA228 to Andersonville

We'll tour the park, then travel approx. 1 hour to Byron/Warner Robins, exit 149 on I-75. Google maps shows a Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Best Western there.

Sunday - We'll depart the hotel @ 9a and head to the Museum of Aviation. No set time at the museum...however long we want.

Route home from Warner Robins (@ 4.5 hours)...

Russell Pkwy. to US 41, 1 block south to Lakeview Rd.
Lakeview Rd. west to GA49
GA49 north to GA42
GA42 west to Roberta
US80 west to US19
US19 north to Thomaston
GA74 west to Woodbury
GA109 north to Greenville to GA100
GA100 west past I-85, through Hoganville to Franklin to state line/AL49
AL49 north to Ranburne
AL46 west to I-20/Heflin
I-20 west to home

Each day, stops will be every 1 - 1.5 hours, or 70 - 100 miles. My bladder will give out before your gas tank does.

Pace will be leisurely, and no one will be left behind. The pace may pick up when conditions allow. We'll wait at turns to make sure the group is together. Everyone is responsible for riding at their own pace...one that they are comfortable and safe with.

Unlikely, but there may be some passing. In the event that a pass occurs, each rider is responsible to make sure that they can execute the pass safely. No one gets left behind, so don't push a sketchy pass to stay with the riders ahead of you.

I will have a small notebook with riders' emergency contact information (including mine). Anyone that hasn't already given me their info can PM it to me, or give it to me on the day of the ride. The info is not shared with anyone else or used for any other purposes...all it needs to be is your first/last names, forum name, and an emergency contact in the event you are incapacitated. If you don't feel comfortable sharing this info with me, please make some type of arrangements for someone to be notified in the event of an emergency.

Chitza

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

speedfire

In, provided things are back to normal.

Shepcam

Quote from: speedfire on December 14, 2015, 12:18:19 PM

You can ride bitch with me :o
2013 Kawasaki Concours

speedfire

Quote from: Shepcam on December 14, 2015, 01:17:39 PM

Hmmmm.........I'll let you know later.

Postmaster

Andersonville is truly a must see.

I'm in.

KevinB

Quote from: Postmaster on December 14, 2015, 06:37:33 PM
Andersonville is truly a must see.

I've always heard that. I know the MOA was quite impressive 20 years ago when I last visited...it's supposed to be even more so now. My grandparents lived in Macon, and my grandfather retired from WRAFB. I don't know what the official job title was, but he was the head Civil Service employee over the maintenance hangers. After retirement, he would take me out there as a kid and I was able to tour the C130/141's and play in the cockpits. I remember when the "museum" was just a few planes on concrete pads. When we lived in Florida, I knew when I saw the F104 on the pedestal at the Warner Robins exit on I-75 that we were getting close to Macon, and I could stop asking "How much further?"

Should be a good trip...hoping the weather holds out.

Shepcam

Quote from: speedfire on December 14, 2015, 04:06:17 PM
Quote from: Shepcam on December 14, 2015, 01:17:39 PM

Hmmmm.........I'll let you know later.

I am off all that week so let me know if you need some help.
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Argh Oh

Sounds good weather depending. Pencil me in!

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

Original post updated with add'l route and ride info.

Argh Oh

Just found out my son is visiting from out of state that weekend, incredible!! Have to miss ride, bummer, but...

KevinB

TechnoTherapist

I'm in.  Was just trying to figure out a good ride for this weekend an stumbled across this.

Cy

KevinB

The forecasted high has risen to @ 56 for both days, partly cloudy, with rain chances 10% on Saturday and 20% on Sunday.  :)