News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

FaithRiderz ride to Phenix City

Started by Guidedawg, February 01, 2016, 11:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

The weather was perfect as the FaithRiderz (based out of Heritage Baptist Church in Montgomery) had their first ride of the year.  Originally, the plan called to ride east to Hurtsboro, a small community between Tuskegee and Union Springs and eat at the City Grill.  However, the day was so nice, it was decided to go through the town and continue to Phenix City instead.

There were 11 bikes (a few with riders 2-up) and we kept together well as we took Interstate 85 out of Montgomery to traverse the newly opened "Outer Loop" segment to Vaughn Road.  It looks like we would have to be westbound coming into Montgomery to experience the higher elevated ramp – maybe next time.

We traveled into Union Springs, but did not stop at the Field Dog statue; instead, we made a stop at a gas station where I took the opportunity to snap a pic with VWCarlos who accepted my invitation to ride with the group.

Some may notice that I lost most of my personality by shaving after Christmas ;)

Our trip continued on more rural roads through small communities.  We received a few waves from pedestrians as we went through the original destination of Hurtsboro and were grateful not to be stuck behind the tractor holding up a few vehicles in the oncoming lane as we made our way to Phenix City.

The pace picked up as we traveled the divided 4 lane of Hwy 431 but it was an overall relaxed ride and everyone stayed together.  Normally the ride leader does a pre-ride and has checked out the stops, but this was a short notice ride so none of us had ever visited 13th Street BBQ until this trip.  Fortunately, we found it without any difficulty and formed quite the line as you had to order at a counter and take your food to your table.

I regret not getting any photos inside or of the food, but it was certainly a good experience.  There was some disappointment that ribs were not available (they only cook so many on Saturdays and once gone, they are gone) since we arrived after 1:00 Eastern Time as the Phenix City folks keep their clocks ahead like the Georgia people.  Mrs. Guidedawg and I split a slab sandwich (two generous slices of Boston Butt) and a BBQ Tater (lots of meat, cheese, and cut potato).  We were well satisfied.

Chad (VWCarlos) had the opportunity to meet and mingle with some of our riders (and other first time visitors) before joining us at our table to visit for a bit.

Since we were so close, the entire group went to the Chattahoochee Riverwalk for a quick devotion time and to contemplate the rapids and the zipline crossing the Alabama/Georgia border.

The return home was on Highway 80 through Tuskeegee as different riders peeled off at various Interstate access points to head to their individual homes.  VWCarlos and I continued on service roads paralleling I-85 to get the chance to claim the Theme Tag.  He had mentioned an ideal spot, so I gladly joined in.

We covered several counties, Interstate, 4 lane, and two lane roads, stopped for BBQ, rested at a scenic local and overall had a great day of riding.  It was a good opportunity for two BamaRides members to meet for the first time and I hope more of us can ride along on future rides if we do not plan our own in this area.

VWCarlos

Thanks again for the invite. I had a great time riding with y'all. I am glad the ride was extended as well. The day was just to nice to not take full advantage of it. The only thing I will add to the ride report is that highway 80 between Tuskegee and Shorter is pretty beat up and rough with pot holes and patches. Other than that the route was great.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Guidedawg

I'm glad you said that.  As we were riding that stretch, I was thinking about a trip report and saying that it was one long pothole occasionally filled with asphalt.