Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Why you shouldn't cross a river in flood

Started by norton73, February 10, 2016, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

SpeedyR

DOH!! as someone who has had my swift water rescue certification in the past and been around a lot of whitewater that guy is lucky he's not dead. Running into the trees/deadfall with that much water can easily be a fatal choice. avoid the trees or obstacles and try to get into an "eddy" that is usually behind the large object  if you can't get to the sides...

anyway I shouldn't talk too much, I took a swim with my 950 a few months ago in north GA. It was the weekend there were a bunch of flash flood warnings in Georgia. We were riding (a buddy from NC was down to visit) and he was on his Husky 450, I was on my 950. I got lucky that I didn't do any damage to the bike, and we were able to get both bikes across the stream without major work. But even taking the 450 across with the motor off, the bike still got swept off it's tires and we had to drag it across.

If you can't walk across the water easily, and there is much current at all, don't try it. I've crossed rivers deeper, but not with as much current as in my video below. I'll post it in hopes that others can learn from my mistakes.. :)

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

DRZ guy is lucky to be alive. It's unfortunate that likely fist responders had to go and risk their lives to extricate him from self-imposed and totally preventable jackassery.

jrobinson

Quote from: KevinB on February 11, 2016, 10:25:35 PM
DRZ guy is lucky to be alive. It's unfortunate that likely fist responders had to go and risk their lives to extricate him from self-imposed and totally preventable jackassery.

That's usually the case.