News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What did I do to my bike today

Started by Argh Oh, September 12, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gulfcoaster

It sure is. I love it. The stock seat is terrible!!  The Corbin makes long rides much more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IceCold4x4

Not so much to my bike but for my bikes. New tires and rims for the tow rig so it won't get stuck getting anywhere, and a trailer so I won't have to beg people to haul stuff for me anymore now that I don't have access to a sprinter van whenever I want.

Lots of stuff one the way for the kdx.... Lots of wrenching to do before this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

Worked on the Goldwing today.  The windshield is supposed to be adjustable but it was sticking.  I removed the nose fairing and disassembled the mechanism, cleaned it and lubricated it.  Also removed the heated grips (which were too small) and installed a set of Progrip 698s which are about 3/4" longer.  Lastly, I removed the side wings because they were ugly and they'll get in the way of my highway pegs (coming soon).

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Little more work on the Wing tonight.  The hazard button and the foglight button were both sticking, so I took them apart and cleaned them with contact cleaner.  Also got my trailer hitch installed.

Spent some time working on the KTM also.  Replaced the clutch lever which broke last weekend while riding single track.  Then I installed some stronger handguards with bar end inserts (had to tap the bars first).

Crandon

Forgot to take pictures while I was working because things just weren't going right.  But I moved my high way pegs so they don't drag the ground in curves, new LED headlight, and new additional LED brake lights.   Purchased new LED light pods to go on the front for additional lighting at night.

IceCold4x4

Installed some new clean bling things

DachshundUberAlles

Got the cheap OE chain and Vee Rubber tires off GROM and installing a Vortex aluminum rear sprocket, DID chain, Pirelli Diablo scooter tires and some gold anodized 90 degree aluminum rim valves. A quick ride showed a HUGE difference in ride quality from doing something the factory seems to deem unimportant, balancing the wheels/tires.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Nice Goat

Charged the battery on the KTM, because like a dumbass, I left the key on and drained it.  >:(

Also changed the final drive gear oil on the Goldwing.  Had the remove the right-side exhaust to refill the oil.  >:(

KevinB

Did some general maintenance on the TE610.

Swapped the subframe...

The original subframe (bottom) has a design that has a tendency for the rear arms to break off if any weight is carried via a luggage rack, etc. A common fix is to weld on reinforcing plates...I was able to stumble across a subframe on eBay that had already been reinforced...and for about the same $$$ it would have cost me to have it done somewhere locally.

The bike now has 10k miles. Since I was going into the clutch side to check a couple of other potential issues, I figured I'd go ahead and change out the clutch.

One potential issue on the 610's is a bronze bushing that wears and causes a loose clutch basket. Several owners have posted YouTube vids showing theirs noticeably wobbling with a few mm's of play. I rocked mine back and forth and found minimal movement.

Another potential problem is that the counter-balancer nut on the crankshaft either comes loose, or was improperly torqued from the factory...some reporting theirs was finger-tight. If it comes loose, the engine develops massive vibrations and shears the woodruff key off the shaft.

I didn't have a 38mm socket in order to apply the correct 75 lb/ft torque, but I did have an official "big ass" 1.5" box-end wrench. I put a significant amount of "oomp" on the wrench with no movement...definitely not loose.

Last issue I checked (but didn't photo) was the cam chain tensioner. The Husky has an automatic tensioner, but apparently they used a spring that places too much tension and can cause premature chain stretch.

Husky says to check the tensioner and replace the chain when it's showing 10 clicks out on the ratcheting pawl. Several owners have reported that their tensioners were showing 10 clicks as soon as 2500 miles, while others have gotten 15k out of theirs before needing replacement.

The previous owner had the tension checked by the dealer at the 6k service, but no mention of what position the ratchet was showing. With 10k miles I knew it was time to check again, and that the chain should be nearing the end of it's life. Pulling the CCT is a fairly simple procedure once the exhaust is removed. Hoping that I was going to go 3 for 3 on dodging inbred Italian headaches, I pulled the tensioner with some trepidation.

It was showing 7 or 8 clicks out, hard to tell with aging eyes...so looks like I can replace the cam chain at my leisure (winter project?).

matthew.j.riley1

Got a sweet deal on a barely used Rekluse core exp 3.0 and finally got it installed today on my scooter. Can't wait to go try it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

springer

Quote from: matthew.j.riley1 on July 30, 2017, 05:30:05 PM
Got a sweet deal on a barely used Rekluse core exp 3.0 and finally got it installed today on my scooter. Can't wait to go try it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
NICE 2-smoker you got there!  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

Changed back to the Conti Twinduros on the KTM ... those Geomax AT81s are a real bitch to get off the rim.

klaviator

Think it may time to clean the air filter on my Kymco?

It's a home made foam filter.  The foam was deteriorating so I removed the old foam and put in a new piece.  I'm waiting for the glue to dry before oiling it and re-installing it.

merc16

Added these sweet levers to the 07

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin