News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What did I do to my bike today

Started by Argh Oh, September 12, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

I guess I should add to and clarify my post above.

When I say I'm using Tubliss for "dual-sporting", I mean on my smaller tagged bikes that will usually get ridden from the house to the trails and possibly on some gnarly terrain (and pavement back home)...it eliminates the need to air up/down.

I'm about to mount some new tires on the 640 and will be continue using UHD tubes on it. I run more pressure in it because of the extra weight and the fact it sees much more pavement...the gnarliest stuff it will usually see is fire roads/jeep trails, so ultimate traction is less critical and I just leave the pressure @ 18 psi.

Fencejumper09

Tried to help a friend figure out his 2015 250XC non running issues last night. @bblass , @IceCold4x4 and myself have already put a new top end in it! We observed weak spark and pulled the stator to find some wires rubbing on the flywheel. We tried to clean up the wires and reroute them but the bike still won't start.

Our professional opinion is that when the wires shorted to the flywheel, they fried the stator. I really don't know!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Good possibility. I know you probably don't have one, but Fluke makes a small voltage detector that can be used by just placing it on the insulation.
So someone holds it against the spark plug wire, then kick it. It don't light up? Place next to the coil and repeat. No light? and so on and so on, moving on down until you find voltage. (If there is any).
I have a couple at work. I can bring one home tonight and you can get it from me tomorrow. (I will leave for work Friday @ 1pm) 

Message me if you want to borrow it. I get an email on my smarty-pants phone when I get a pm here.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

KevinB

Quote from: kylepeterson on March 05, 2018, 05:44:53 PM
I just want to point out a couple of things....

That's Kevin's totally skint rear tire, not mine. Take a long long look folks, this is an anomaly in our universe. Normally a Kevin machine has tits on it, and if there aren't tits it's because it's on a machine about to have tits installed.

@kylepeterson

Because I felt like I was letting Kyle down...  :(

New Tractionator H/T rear and Pirelli MT21 front combo

:)

bblass

I had an unfortunate meeting with Mr Tree and Mr Rock at dirt school last weekend

While that little hole may not look like much, it was enough to make my bike puke coolant down the trail.

Using a thing gauge wire, I slowly pushed a bead of JB weld down the broken channel. So far, so good! Here's hoping it holds up on the next ride. I'll have an egg in the truck just in case!

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kylepeterson

Quote from: KevinB on March 08, 2018, 04:05:49 PM
@kylepeterson

Because I felt like I was letting Kyle down...  :(

New Tractionator H/T rear and Pirelli MT21 front combo

:)
There we go, fresh tits ! :-)
just give 'er the berries !

kylepeterson

Quote from: bblass on March 14, 2018, 08:28:58 AM
I had an unfortunate meeting with Mr Tree and Mr Rock at dirt school last weekend

While that little hole may not look like much, it was enough to make my bike puke coolant down the trail.

Using a thing gauge wire, I slowly pushed a bead of JB weld down the broken channel. So far, so good! Here's hoping it holds up on the next ride. I'll have an egg in the truck just in case!

Jesse Can Mexi CAN !

Gotta love jbweld!

kylepeterson

I heat and beat on my old crooked FMF pipe today so it would align with the head again. Got it really close and noticed I had some flat stock laying nearby , so I made a torque ring or two.

Basically you use a hole saw to drill a 1 1/2" hole, then a 1 3/4" around it to produce a thick ring out of 1/8" aluminum stock.

The aluminum provides a cushion from all the hammering the pipe does to the head.

Longer pipe is supposed to make more torque too , but I'm skeptical as always. It's only 1/4" , and we all know that's not gonna make it groan any louder.

Took her for a spin to the soccer complex and ran into my buddy Ben. He was not on a bike, car, or even a motorized skateboard. He....
Was...
Running ???

I didn't see any head hunters or wild pigs behind him, so maybe he's not as smart as I thought he was ;-)

But it's always fun to see dirty bike buddies :-)

Mulley

Quote from: kylepeterson on March 14, 2018, 07:51:01 PM
I heat and beat on my old crooked FMF pipe today so it would align with the head again. Got it really close and noticed I had some flat stock laying nearby , so I made a torque ring or two.

Basically you use a hole saw to drill a 1 1/2" hole, then a 1 3/4" around it to produce a thick ring out of 1/8" aluminum stock.

Pictures man. I need pictures.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

bblass

I spent all evening rattle canning, sanding and then polishing.

Not there yet, but way better than it was!

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

merc16

Quote from: bblass on March 14, 2018, 10:17:01 PM
I spent all evening rattle canning, sanding and then polishing.

Not there yet, but way better than it was!

:P I guess this is the drooling emoji ? Nice V-twin collection !
Justin

Nice Goat

Recovered my seat with a Seat Concepts kit.

Also made two tool tubes out of 3" PVC.  Used primer and glue to attach an end cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other end.  Glued some foam on one side.  I'll carry them in my Sweet Cheeks seat widener.  They should be waterproof.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Fencejumper09

Goat, that thing is going to be the Colorado Cadillac!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Nice Goat

Added headlight protection and fender pack (for spare tube and lightweight tire changing items).

Also made a longer wrist strap for my GoPro remote using 1" web strap and buckle from Hobby Lobby.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

DachshundUberAlles

Just a little tire replacement for the Super Tenere. The OE Bridgestone BattleWings managed to give me 5882 miles. Trying the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail. I have no idea what the difference is over the standard PR4, which is available in the 110/80-19 and 150/70-17 sizes, other than the description that the PR4T is "designed for Adventure bikes that are ridden exclusively on the road", but I figured I'd go with them. The price difference was about $3.00 each.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.