News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What did I do to my bike today

Started by Argh Oh, September 12, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

New clutch cover! Hopefully this one won't crack as easily!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Guidedawg

Okay, no pics but it wasn't exciting.

Last week, I took my VTX to the local Honda dealership and had a new rear tire mounted.

Last night, I gave it its annual oil change and semi-annual bath.

DonJuan

Finally put some SW Motech crash bars back on the KLR650. I felt naked without them, (the bars were sacrificed in an accident last August).

On the KDX, I went through every pilot jet from 45 up to 50 and all the way back down to 40. Running smooth, wheelies great.

My wife still hasn't warmed up to the sweet 2 stroke aroma.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

norton73

Installed the Seat Concepts seat on the klx yesterday. Definitely wider than the rail from Kawasaki.
Gonna adjust the valves this week and then I should be good to go.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Fencejumper09

Fresh clutch and stiffer springs! The oem spring couldn't keep the power on the ground while in sumo trim! Hope this helps!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

DonJuan

Added some graphics to 'Ol Bessie today.

Before...

After...

I'm more of a woodland camo kind of guy. The digital camo is alright, but, meh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

DonJuan

Quote from: kylepeterson on March 14, 2018, 07:51:01 PM
I heat and beat on my old crooked FMF pipe today so it would align with the head again. Got it really close and noticed I had some flat stock laying nearby , so I made a torque ring or two.

Basically you use a hole saw to drill a 1 1/2" hole, then a 1 3/4" around it to produce a thick ring out of 1/8" aluminum stock.

The aluminum provides a cushion from all the hammering the pipe does to the head.

Longer pipe is supposed to make more torque too , but I'm skeptical as always. It's only 1/4" , and we all know that's not gonna make it groan any louder.

Took her for a spin to the soccer complex and ran into my buddy Ben. He was not on a bike, car, or even a motorized skateboard. He....
Was...
Running ???

I didn't see any head hunters or wild pigs behind him, so maybe he's not as smart as I thought he was ;-)

But it's always fun to see dirty bike buddies :-)
When I rebuilt my 200, I put in a makeshift torque ring too. In my gasket kit there was a washer about 1/8" thick just the right diameter. .. maybe thats what is was for, I don't know.   The second ORING on the pipe isn't quite sealed, but it'll do, I think.
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

DonJuan

Not exciting, but today the KLR got the rebuilt title inspection, and passed.  Now she's legal for the Free State ride. ;)
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

kylepeterson

I'm going to a once-a-quarter greasing routine.

Also compared spring rates to try and prop up my saggy back end.

just give 'er the berries !

merc16

Cool pic of the Jeep and the KLR, DonJaun . Two vehicles cut from the same cloth.
Justin

DonJuan

Quote from: merc16 on April 14, 2018, 09:01:04 AM
Cool pic of the Jeep and the KLR, DonJaun . Two vehicles cut from the same cloth.
I do agree with that! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

odell2115

Time for some overdue maintenance. Starting with rear suspension bearings that varied from bad to gone.

springer

Quote from: odell2115 on April 16, 2018, 12:39:25 AM
Time for some overdue maintenance. Starting with rear suspension bearings that varied from bad to gone.

I would say you got your monies worth out of them.  ;) ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

Saturday was a really crappy rainy day. I was hoping to do the Gymkhana that day but it was rescheduled due to weather. So I used the day do do some overdue maintenance on my Majesty. The belt is scheduled for replacement every 12,500 miles. I have seen posts that the belts will easily go 15-18000 miles but with nearly 14K on the scooter I wanted to at least inspect the belt. I actually bought a replacement belt around a year ago but have been procrastinating. I also figured the air filters might need changing. It makes sense to do both at once since the same stuff has to be taken off the bike.

So I pulled off a few covers. The main engine air filter goes in that open space on top and there is a filter for the CVT over that open space with all the fins behind it. BTW, that's the variator in there.

The CVT filter:

The engine air filter:

You think it might be time to replace that filter?

There is a second engine air filter on the right side of the bike.

This is the second time I have replaced the filters. All three filters add up to around 100 bucks and that's after Allsport gave me a discount ???

So I had taken the old filters, removed the paper elements and glued in some UNI Filter foam.

And a pic after applying PJ1 filter oil.

Now I can just clean the filters instead of replacing them.

Back to the CVT.

Removing the cover exposed the belt. I inspected it and couldn't see any signs of wear. I measured it with a micrometer and there was no difference between it and the new belt. I decided to leave it in for another 3,000 miles or so then replace it even if it still looks good. That main engine filter should probably be cleaned every 3-4k instead of the nearly 7k it had on it.

Then I put everything back together a rode it about 20 miles today. It ran fine and I didn't have any pieces left over so everything is good ;D

merc16

How difficult is it to replace belt ? What all is involved ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin