Thinking about big rides for 2016?

Started by klaviator, March 21, 2016, 10:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

This thread is about those rides that people are planning, considering or just thinking about for this year.  I'm talking about overnight trips or longer, not day rides.  I'm hoping this will get people thinking and maybe lead so some nice group rides.  Feel free to post what you are thinking or to ask questions or make comments.

I'll start with what I'm thinking about for this year.

No really big trips like my trip out west last year but I am hoping to do some weekend trips to N.GA and NC. 

I'll probably post up a N GA dual sport/adventure weekend based out of Two Wheels of Suches for the 4rth of July weekend.  Besides some great riding in the area both paved and unpaved, Suches usually has a great fireworks display that you can walk to from the campground.  I'm just hoping it won't be on the 4rth which is Monday night.

No dates for my other trips but I'll do some trips to Iron Horse and/or Blue Ridge Cycle Camp.  Most likely these will be street rides on some seriously twisty roads but I'll consider a dual sport/adventure ride if there is enough interest.  A street ride to Suches is also a possibility.  Most likely these will be Fri-Sun Trips but a 2 day (Sat/Sun trip is also possible.

I may go out to the Scooting the Ozarks Rally Sept 14-17 in Eureka Springs, AR.  For you scooter riders out there, this is a pretty cool event. 

Nice Goat

I've got a big ride coming up next month...

Ride For Pie, Special Edition: Key West Iron Butt, April 13-17

I will probably go hang my hammock at Iron Horse near Robbinsville for a few days later this year.  Everything else will be unplanned trips of opportunity.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Brian A

#1 - I'm signed up for Glenn's Iron Butt/Key West Ride.

#2 - Flying to Anchorage to meet Mill to ride a week in Alaska later this year.

Other than those two, nothing else planned. Maybe a few days to Robbinsville/Deals Gap to spend time with my friends there.

polarissalesman

trip to Mentone, LuAnn & I will ride around the area, N.Ga and Lookout Mountain & beyond..

Also over in the fall we are planing a trip with another couple to the area of Tug Fork WV & KY ....  Hatfields & McCoys feud ...

"keep the rubber side down"

norton73

Depends on what you consider a "big" ride. Due to a planned trip to kayak the Grand Canyon for almost a month in the fall, my vacation time for motorcycle trips this year is limited. Currently the only planned trip is to Hendersonville NC for the Vintage Meltdown.

http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=804.0
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Yankee Dog

The missus and I are planning to head to Washington DC this summer and spend a few days doing the tourist thing. Ride in via West Virginia and ride out via the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel and North Carolina.  Park the bike and use the metro while we are in DC. 

Chitza

I have one HUGE, month long trip planned. And several smaller ones. N Ga, possibly South Padre, TX or NC. Gonna wait to assess weather and determine direction depending on that. I love working for a school system :)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

LRobinson

I am riding to Laconia in June.  Not so much for the bike rally, but for the ride up and back.  Never been north of New York on the bike.  I will take 2 days to get up to Mt. Airy, NC (Mayberry) and meet a couple of friends there.   Then 3 days up to Laconia.  Ride the lakes area - and over to Maine - for two days - and then 3 days back to Charlotte.  Depending on when we get back to Charlotte I will route back in 1 day or 2.  No interstate planned and should do about 4500 miles in 13 days.   

IceCold4x4

Riding to Suches to hang out with the hooligan zrx guys

Sagebrush

Last spring I did a long run up to Watkins Glenn and explored PA and then the whole BRP and the Cheroahala etc. Don't have the funds to do a big trip this spring so I'm just going camping up in Cruso probably in late May or early June.

Probably a solo trip, my usual riding buddy is headed to Florida, then California at about the same time I want to see the BRP. I don't feel like spending money on a west coast tour. Already been out there before. Hopefully I'll catch Craggy Gardens when its colorful. I'm mostly self employed, so I can wait for a nice weather window. I will do at least 1200 miles and camp 3 or 4 nights. I want to hike a few summits and probably ride to Lineville Falls and come back south taking a few trails to break up the ride. Haven't taken my time hiking north of Mt Mitchel in a few years.

I've done a Cherohala run last month already, it was cold but still fun. Stayed at Cherohala Mountain Trails CG in a cabin, nice having that place open essentially year round. $57 per night for a heated cabin ain't bad. It was in the 30's at night, I didn't feel like tenting it. That heater felt good in the cabin.

zdc1775

Unfortunately for us bike trips took a backseat this year. We are gojng to th UK for 10 days in a month and between that and the beach for Christmas and New Year's that saps all of my vacation time for this year.

Still hope to get a couple weekend trips in this year though.  Maybe I'll be able to get Vanessa to Deal's Gap for her first time.

Al Goodwin

Leaving out July 9th from Cullman to Deadhorse, Alaska....AND BACK....  Going to hit Denali, Glacier Natl. Park...among others......

I've got 28 days off work....it's looking like 11,000 miles +/-

I think we're almost ready, I've got some suspension components for to stiffen the bike up a bit on the way, larger tent, passports, and new tires bought and waiting.....

zdc1775

Quote from: Al Goodwin on April 18, 2016, 01:16:43 PM
Leaving out July 9th from Cullman to Deadhorse, Alaska....AND BACK....  Going to hit Denali, Glacier Natl. Park...among others......

I've got 28 days off work....it's looking like 11,000 miles +/-

I think we're almost ready, I've got some suspension components for to stiffen the bike up a bit on the way, larger tent, passports, and new tires bought and waiting.....

That is one of my dream rides. Maybe in a couple of years.